1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News – KAG Update for Halloween

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 30, 2015.

1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Ive explained how it is easily abused, just because you do not know the mechanics or havent seen it done does not make my statement false. Eitherway tramps shouldnt be used for any reason but to get over a wall. I think the main issue for me atm is tdm tramp cancer(where people abuse exactly what i already said).

J-man2003 likes this.
  2. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Crouching already completely counters stomping (but I'm pretty sure not stomp slashing), and yet how many people do you see using that? How does holding a trampoline make that any different? It doesn't change the situation at all.

And even if you're somehow right and it is easily abused, and it's impossible to come at them with a stomp... then come at them some other way. That's really not a big deal, there are already ways to mitigate the stomp advantage of a huge tower (platform spam "umbrellas"), and frankly I'd welcome another one. Unapproachable towers aren't that fun tbh.
    In any case I doubt that one very specific case should be a reason to implement such a roundabout change. If you think it might need an explanation box or whatever then that's a sign that it's probably not the best way to go about things.

The only reason I suggested my thing is because it seemed like a simple and unoffensive little tweak that would make forward tramps less generally annoying, and how this boiled into a heated discussion over such minuscule changes that hardly affect the game is beyond me

I haven't played tdm in a while so no comment there

J-man2003, _Cuffs_ and Vamist like this.
  3. PUNK123

they are more annoying for the enemy than your teammate. Eitherway i havent said anything to make this "heated"

4. Potatobird

Annoying your own team is more of a problem than annoying your enemies

J-man2003 likes this.
  5. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Tramps can also be used defensively, for stomping knights and to just get across waves of obstacles.

6. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

1 week later..... no news. ::(:

TheDirtySwine likes this.
  7. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

It's not big news afaik, don't be hyped ::):

8. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

He made it seem that way and with the new trailer I'm also curious to see what s going on with TR development.

J-man2003 likes this.
  9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Yup, just trying to say that if the news is what I think it is, you better not wait for the news. It's better to expect too little than to expect too much.

10. mehwaffle10

mehwaffle10 Haxor Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

Although the tramp update has opened a cool new function for tramps, I personally enjoyed the old function more. I feel that making them cost like 400 wood and maybe like 30 coins we be such a strong nerf that destroying a cannon would a way more devastating blow that isnt as readily replaced, and is near impossible without a wood farm. It also greatly increases the importance of placement. The problem with new tramps is (ik this sounds a lot like me bitching about not being able to lone wolf but =P) that it takes so much coordination, planning, and skill that just cant be found in pub matches, and after the tramp rush all the investment can yield nothing. (also jumping on other players holding tramps feel kinda weird, probs just not used to it yet ;3) Im not saying in any way that the new function of tramps is bad, its really cool imo. I just prefer old tramps. A solution to keep both features could be simple: make 2 different types of tramps. There could be super tramps (names could vary) that were expensive but otherwise identical to tramps before the update, and combat tramps, which are post update and same cost or maybe even just money so knights could utilize them more.

I was just in a game where i felt tramps where relevant. In short, neither team could singlehandedly outknight the other. Mid became a devastated wasteland. Both teams built forward cancerously (other players (i think it was c4sniper ;3) called the bases growing tumor, which i felt is an accurate description). There was a tramp rush that failed. Both teams resorted to siege spam; it was probably the only reasonable way to level the bases besides tunneling. Any players walking through the water pit at mid was shredded by arrows or siege spam. The game ended in a stalemate vote because nobody could do anything to the tumors: builders wiuld instantly rebuild the walls from siege and any invaders would be massacred by the entire enemy team. Any players launched from catas were instantly slaughtered because they were stunned. A tramp cannon would have allowed enough kegs and knights into the enemy base to subdue their fighting force and deny repair, allowing for a flag push. Props to lefty for still trying to use tramps for their original use =D kept the games pace up a little bit

Arrow collision needs to be back. Period. I don't think any high level archer has any reason to disagree. The lack of them eliminates any method of protection while moving and makes archer fights peeking out of cover and spraying D= I play a very fluid style of archer and try to move as much as possible, but i can no longer grapple around a corner and not expect to be shot by any half decent archer. The "archer stalemates" the update was intended to fix was because a lack of skill in the archers, arrow spamming at each other while staying still or behind cover just isnt a good style of play.

On the topic of the "be good as me" to counter tramps, i say this. Wheres the fun in a game where everyone is equal and skill has no value? Good players deserve to be rewarded for their talent. Tramp cannons were an excellent builder strategy that i thought added a lot of flavor to gameplay, and it deserves to be successful if players werent good enough to stop it.

On the chaotic gameplay note, i offer this: which is more chaotic? Having a couple players jump of each others tramps after a slow march across the map, maybe getting over their tower and killing any unprotected people while some players get left in front of the tower OR having players flying in out of nowhere at high speeds, kegs and bombs raining down on the enemy anywhere on half the map, players flooding towards each other. Tramp cannons kept the pace of the game up, and without them the game has less going on and is therefore less chaotic. As for gregs, having players randomly instagibbed even from inside buildings, although chaotic, essentially stops all play in ctf for 5 min, which isnt hectic gameplay if you ask me.

I appreciate all of the criticism and clarifaction questions you ask about my posts; writing a persuasive message encompassing all the points and reasoning i feel necessary in a reasonably long essay is hard ;_; its easy to assume my meaning gets across or to completely forget about something

P.s. lol i just realized there were 2 more pages (7 and 8) that arent accounted for and ill have to sift through

P.s.s. i had to edit this bc half of it got deleted bc phones are weird O_o

Darruin and Fuzzle like this.
  11. Potatobird

The problem with trampolines is that it didn't matter what the map was or what the structures were, every tramp cannon game was the same: build tramp cannon -> fling self at enemy with explosives until the flag is open -> capture flag. And maybe that did end stalemates, but it ended non-stalemates too in a boring and repetitive way. The accursed watery crater slogfest plagues our game once again, but tbh I think it's mostly due to defensive siege. I did just have an idea about what to do about defensive siege, though...
    --
    So, defensive siege is obviously a great way to take care of the enemy's forward structures. But it can also seem oppressively good at times - to the point where it feels like it's useless to even try to make a forward structure. And forward structures might be the key to making the watery crater slogfest more bearable. So the question is how do you deal with defensive siege without fucking up offensive siege?

Here's my theory:
    -Usually when you set up Offensive Siege : It is in a temporary location that is somewhat vulerable, and you're trying to blow up something quickly and maybe take a victory. (I'll admit that the crazy range can sometimes mean the location really doesn't have to be that close to the enemy or vulnerable.)
    -Usually when you set up Defensive Siege : It is on top of your best and tallest tower, in the safest place it can be. Because it's farther to the back of the map, it is not in danger as often as offensive siege, and may sit there for ten times as long just chillin', ready to be reloaded and take down whatever structures the enemy fools try to make.

So what if all siege was inherently temporary? What if you had to deploy a siege engine knowing that it would not get to sit there all game? As in, each siege engine is on a timer, and when that time is up the siege vanishes, perhaps leaving a little pile of wood or whatnot. That wouldn't make much of a difference for the offensive siege, it dies pretty fast already. But you couldn't just leave a cata on top of your tower indefinitely, it would have to be in reaction to enemy structures, and siege can be dangerous to set up, giving attackers a better window of opportunity.

Still working on this idea but that's the basics, I was thinking of maybe using wood/other resources to reset the timer so you could still maintain safe siege but it would take some attention
    --

And as for the "teamwork" required to use new tramps, it's not as bad as you'd think- all you really have to do is put it down and people will use it. If the wall is too high and requires a tramp toss, they don't really even need to know what you're doing, you can just walk under them, bounce them against their will, and then throw it at them and they'll be up there. I really don't think it's too hard to coordinate, try it out :)

You won't be trying for nothing even if nobody wants to use your tramp, you can bounce on it and grab it afterwards for a quick jump while getting to bring your tramp over the wall. They're a pretty neat solo tool as well, I think. I sometimes like to just carry one around, and then quickly place it, bounce, and grab it again for a quick stomp opportunity that's hard to steal. You also get some protection from people from above (I admit it punk, it's a good defense. I don't think that's a bad thing) and some fun stuff always happens. BUT if you get hit with an arrow, the tramp will bounce it right under your shield so you're a little more vulnerable to arrows at times!

J-man2003 likes this.
  12. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

even if mines aren't touched or reworked, I still think arrow collision with projectiles should whole-heartedly be reintroduced back into the game. there was really no significant reason to remove it.

13. L3fty

L3fty Bison Rider Staff Alumni

too keep short
    this game is great because it a has a lot of fun physics, angled tramps were fun, i think 2 tramps max-velocity restores the pinball flipper physics in non-op way

mines is the latest fun every class can enjoy - 2 bugs, they sometimes detonate on their own, and kills sometimes not being counted if you die while deploying them (killfeed shows enemy dying to empty name)

arrows still collide with ballista bolts \o/

J-man2003 likes this.
  14. Darruin

Darruin Bison Rider Staff Alumni

Totally agree with mehwaffle10.

Tramp cannons took a fair amount of time and resources to set up correctly, and more to defend and fortify properly. There was a certain satisfaction you got for building one for your team which pushed you onto the winning side. Even when there was a tramp cannon being used against the team I was on I liked the challenge of having to defend against it (and potentially winning). Overcoming a team who had huge advantages is one of the best feelings you can get in KAG imo. Rampaging through a team because your players can play their classes well is also fun. Now I'm really enjoying the game far less than before the patch.. Sorry if this sounds rude to the devs, just my opinion. Things like the tramp cannon, and the old knight wall jumping bug (removed long ago) make the game more interesting and less static.

tl;dr Give players the ability to have an advantage over the other side.

15. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

[added] player avatar image access

The functionality to draw an avatar from a script was added. I disabled the avatars drawing in scoreboard because what I was using them for wasn't finished, as in stats tracking.

They can be used in mods if you like, but wont be in the game for a while until I get around to finishing stats. If you want to see how to use them, simply look in ScoreboardCommon.as there's a commented out block of code that draws the avatar.

16. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Aka make KAG unbalanced.

17. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

When I first started playing on the new update, my first impression overall was positive. Only thing that bothers me is the new mines. I thought I would get used to it by now but I think the opposite has happened here.

To start, mines are now much harder to remove. While you can pick it up before it deploys, this is a fairly small amount of time to react. I don't really have a problem with that, the main problem is that now people are buying mines in bulk and deploying them all over the map. There is no way you could stop every single mine from deploying.

People also started using to "mine drop". Similar to spike dropping, you drop a mine above someone. Mine dropping is what spike dropping used to be. Back then spike could kill you instantly when dropped, but that got nerfed. Now mines are basically doing the same thing; killing people instantly on explosion. It's even worse since it'll kill anyone within its radius where spike dropping only killed people directly below it.

That's just my 2 cents on the recent changes to mines. The overall changes to KAG are great, I just don't think this is one of them. A lot of the things @mehwaffle10 said I agree on as well.

J-man2003 likes this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm in Sydney visiting @Wonkyth and hence have had access to internet and so have finally been able to play some KAG after goodness knows how long. A few thoughts:
    • Spawning & class swapping on ballistas needs to go. In fact, the whole weapon needs a do-over. But spawning and class-swapping on a piece of heavy attack equipment is (particularly after time away from the game, so I'm not so numb to it as others here might be) is akin to having a swiss army knife with a built in bazooka & cloning pod--i.e. a really swanky idea until your opponents get one (and/or steal yours) and then it's just shit. I played maybe two dozen matches today and I think I saw almost a score (that's almost 20, for you younguns) of instances of some new players (or, you know, a foolish older player) setting up a ballista in the wrong spot and completely fucking over their team for that position (not necessarily losing them the game, but definitely losing them that hill or forward base). There's just too much riding on just one piece of equipment.
    • Yeah, having the buggers move away when you hit them as a builder is kinda completely lame. You already have to inch up close to the fuckers (bc you're not removing them in a single hit, so no charge in and tap tactics) and to then have them bounce away awkwardly (read: bloody unpredictably) is lamesauce in the extreme.
    • Yep. It's pretty much cancer. Ofc it's also pretty simply fixed: just have the "mine deploys in x ticks" (or whatever the code actually looks like) only activate after the mine has come to rest (i.e. only once it's sitting on the ground/floating in one place).
    • I'm tired and I forgot other things (much of them positive), but there was stuff and I enjoyed it (like the mines--even my gripes above notwithstanding, mines in the current build a pretty fecking sweet).

Redshadow6 and link6155 like this.
  19. PUNK123

I dont think that would be a viable fix for the minedrop because the last game i played someone dropped them from doors(after waiting for them to deploy) at the top of the tower either killing off the forward rush(or if we just avoid them like we did) or doing nothing and they are still on the playing field at the front of their tower where they can just repick up the mines and drop em again.

20. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Wow, I never thought of removing ballista's spawning ability. I actually think it would be a good idea. As they are, they are way too difficult to take over. People spawning every 7 seconds with invincibility can make it near impossible at times.
    In my opinion, tramps are great as they are now. They are tons of fun and require a good amount of coordination and [hat]work. You have the possibility of getting over any tower if you bring them up in a rush. They make mid control a little less powerful and can make the winning team have to have to rely on good knights to actually keep a forward base.
    Mines aren't that bad. Increasing the deploy time slightly just to make dropping them from towers become less of a mini keg drop would be good. However, I find that the deploy time isn't that bad in the forward lines. I see them getting tossed back and forth constantly. And people are getting used to avoiding them. The devs have already said they're probably going to make some of the changes people keep repeating such as deploy time and making shields defend yourself if you aren't the one touching it.
    If they add the change to the way shields defend mines explosions, this tactic would be less powerful. The mine would only kill one or two people. At which point, it would be the same as a spike.

FuzzyBlueBaron and PUNK123 like this.