1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Trench Run - Free Preview Build Available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 13, 2015.

1. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

• Engineer
      The engineer in general leaves a lot to be desired. The rocket riding is fun but causes issues with hit registration a lot of the time. The rocket itself desyncs a lot. And the crates need a total rethink. In short, expect a lot of changes to the engineer.
    Does this mean that I shouldn't practice engineer? I think this is my new favorite class. Somewhat difficult, but very effective in the right hands.

2. eamono

eamono Arsonist

wow looks like I picked a great time to check in on the forums, very fun game :)

3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

At first I thought it was a little iffy but I'm really starting to enjoy it! It's also fun to pick out the little bugs / quirks from KAG, like the "unnamed player" bug and how you can't check usernames on the scoreboard without moving your invisible cursor over them.

Some criticisms:
    - I don't like how the camera swivels all over the place if you're moving back and forth.
    - It doesn't feel as... crisp? I guess, as the last demo.
    - The chat boxes are a nice idea but I think they should be smaller and maybe quicker or at least able to be cycled / dismissed with some button, they get behind the actual chat too quickly to be very useful. They also block up significant portions of the map sometimes.

The air strikes are really good, and I feel like the crates have their uses but the crate meta hasn't really developed. I do get annoyed by the rocket's lagginess but hey they acknowledged that in the main post. It's annoying when you hit someone directly with your rocket and they don't die.

A buddy and I were winning matches left and right in seconds with the rocket riding. I think maybe they should go slower when they have an ally on them to make it more possible for snipers to pick them off.

Kazaco97 and TheDirtySwine like this.
  4. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I meant to quote that from the OP. I think they are planning on reworking the class altogether which is unfortunate because I find it to be quite fun. I see a lot of people maining sniper and assault because they're relatively easy to dominate with, but I've found that I can set up camp as an engineer and wreak havoc. I've also found the crates to be hilarious because when I'm not using them to set up camp, I'll throw a shit ton of them and kill a few enemies in the process. The lagginess of the rockets is a little unfortunate, but I absolutely love how unique the class is and it would be a shame for them to redo it altogether.

5. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

At first I was a bit iffy on how long this game could keep me interested. But as soon as there were enough people to play run with that changed. Also I agree with potato on the camera thing. Also there's no way to change the key for scoreboard AKA cant look at scoreboard from controller. One addition that could be good is a sensitivity changer.

6. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Was good. Polish a bunch of little things and you could probably release this version and break even economically if you play it right. But it really needs that polish. GUI placement is a little thing, the character portraits are really "round" and out of character with the "teams" but can also be considered a little thing, everything is a little thing. But when enough of those little things add up everything feels disjointed.

On their own things are fine. If you take a character's Sprite sheet and put it on a clear background it looks great. But added with the background it's disjointed. The trucks on their own fine. The character models by themselves fine. The character protraits are ok as well.

But when you mash everything together each aspect has a flaw that doesn't compounds to make things noticeably off. If you have those sprites with those long yellow arms then those character portraits with the black dude will look weird. If the colors are too bright then everything looks saturated and nothing pops out. Desert map, super bright forest map, that one urban map, everything is saturated and bright.

The contrast isn't there and it's hurting the feel. Specifically the feels in my corneas. The flash bangs also do not help with that. Making the whole screen white? Not fun. You know how websites now have the option for black background and white text? Trench run right now has that issue where it's white background and dark text. You went for the player readability and better animations but the sacrifice was the ease on the eyes. The whole game is like a white background. I played the game for about half an hour and it started hurting my eyes trying to figure out things because everything was bright.

Gameplay is fun! Don't worry about balancing it too much if you are on a crunch for development time. The classes are all special snowflakes doing their own things. And since its five v five and one class per person no worries about being overpowered. Just make sure that flash bangs can't be spammed like they can now, and make things easier on the eyes and you have a game that should sell more then enough to break even. Artsy games sell pretty well. Market it right, and especially since it'll be on steam you'll have an audience so don't sweat it too bad Geti. You got this.

Oh MM too. But mainly Geti. Also I like the basics of the interactive lobby so far. Again polish the small things, measure out those menus and the loading screen make those nicer then KAGs, make the main start up menu interactive and that should help with gui measurements... Maybe. Get a good marketing campaign centered around two or three core aspects, get a recording of mumble guys playing it and having fun, easy commercial. Get those down pat and you're good to go.

Meh I don't wanna edit this post. Have fun reading shitty grammar.

7. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

from playing old beta with completely dark backgrounds, a small fighting screen, only green characters, and darkness, the updated version i tried out against Skinney & Mak was a decent game. a few things such as the idea of better contrasting and saturation that fellere brought up is a very valid point. i question some of the combat sometimes, such as being infinitely downed if no medic-box can be reached, or the usage of flashbangs (i thought it would be some sort of thrown grenade that affected a radius), but it all and all feels like a decent beta. an interactive spawning menu with those ideas of a few games within the game (such as poker, blackjack, shitty slots) and maybe something with very simple player customization (could even be a color change here or there on the sprite, or even unlocking / getting different emotes VIA the in-game games) would be new. though, at it's current play and feeling, i couldn't see myself paying $10 for it. maybe $5.

Kazaco97, Noburu, Asu and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

The main thing I've noticed has been the chat, like others. It looks cool, and I can see the influences, but it takes up so much space and takes ages to get through all the chat.

EhRa and Kazaco97 like this.
  9. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Looking gud! The chat definitly needs some polishing/changing, actually.
    Assaulter OP, ye, Potatobird?

10. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

How are you even modding TR right now?

11. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Need help?
    I'm chillin' in the VIP area.
    cat.gif

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  12. BarsukEughen555

Someone wishing to play TR right now?
    @Bint - Caps is not working for anyone, use Shift xD

13. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

No thanks haha, just realized you can just set the gamemode to lobby, thought they disabled it ::):

14. Bint

Bint Haxor

It's like 50:50, aren't you windows?

15. BarsukEughen555

Im Windows, Caps not working xD

16. Mazey

Well thanks to Fuzzle for reminding me you can play TR offline, here's something I made in KAG (but it was meant for TR, I have just put it TR with some changes)

Gurin, 101i, Geti and 7 others like this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: "should I not practice engineer" - rockets will likely be staying similar (with some details of rocket riding changed, less "noreg" explosions, etc) but the action for the other button may be completely changed.

For those looking to find a game - IRC is better than the forums :)

18. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Crates are pretty fun sometimes, I think they're a neat idea. I trapped a commando in a cage once and won a couple games by blocking off a team and then dashing off to the edge... And without crates, sniper just blasting shots through the middle of the map would be even more annoying.

But it does make sense that you'd go for another option, when you lag and try to throw a crate you hit yourself and go flying forward to do a face plant. Also charging forward into an entire enemy team in a tidal wave of deadly boxes is kind of an... odd mechanic.

butterscotch likes this.
  19. BarsukEughen555

Actually, there is a thing like medricrush now - a medic is unbeatable with pretty much of the damage, and he can heal his own hands, so even a snipershot, even if it hits shielding medic, it just deals damage and he regens back to full HP. Alone its almost impossible to stop medic from rushing to your side together with shield, probably shield of medic should be changed on something else

20. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I found myself in the fun situation of having to shoot to a medic like 5 times to kill him. One shot: stunned 2 seconds and get up again. Second shot and third shot same (it took me that long to realize that i should kill him when he's in the ground). Fourth shot, stunned and quickly gave him the coup de grĂ¢ce to kill him finally.

I think it's a really fun mechanic that a lot of games uses (most on NPCS or bosses): you only can kill somebody if you temporaly disable his defenses.