1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Roguelike games sharing thread.

Discussion in 'Other games' started by synthesispandabot, Nov 27, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

I will gift the first person to beat Gladius any 5$ game on steam The Humble Indie Bundle 'http://www.humblebundle.com/' XD Its difficulty is brought on by a somewhat randomized drop system, semi-linear gameplay that can stumble you into extremely dangerous situations, limited potion supply and no shop to buy/sell such things, no base health or mana regeneration, and punishments for saving/loading too frequently :p My advice? If you dont find a good ranged weapon or pair of armor by level 3, start over XD

http://xenimus.com/Downloads.aspx

bottom one. It may require DosBox

2. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Graver and Noburu like this.
  3. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Just watching the trailer made me not want to play it. Is it actually any good? It seems that I'd rather play hammerwatch.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    BlueLuigi and jimmyzoudcba like this.
  5. Guitrz

Guitrz Arsonist

I really liked Crypt of the Necrodancer

Noburu likes this.
  6. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The moment you realize its the shopkeeper singing as you get closer to a shop.

jimmyzoudcba, Magmus, dayleaf and 2 others like this.
  7. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

still one of my favourite games of all time. It was extremely difficult to get into back when i played it a lot though, so it's definitely not for everyone

8. ADOM with graphics is just not the same degree of video game hell

jimmyzoudcba and dnmr like this.
  9. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Yes. Is Hammerwatch even here though?

10. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Nuclear Throne? Downwell? They aren't turn based though, they are more roguelite.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

Guys I recently got addicted to this gem game. Its called Caves of Qud and it's being in development since before kag existed (2008 i think). Its a great old school roguelike with nice unique feats such as a mutation system and a ellaborated atmosphere. It is still work in progress because it was abandoned years ago until summer 2015 but now the devs post new shit every week and its very promising.

The game started in ASCII but now it has a super cool tile system, really minimalistic and helps immersion. The systems are complex and you can effectively play a character with multiple arms or legs, two heads, wings, beak, horns, mental mutations which give you power over matter... Its really fun to play and also has a crafting system based on recipes and components u can get from junk if u have the skill needed for it. Skills are important.

Its a really hard game and in that sense its a traditional roguelike. It doesn't even have mouse support (thought its planned) or sound (only 1 track that plays randomly at the moment, full sound system in the future). U control everything with the keyboard but it's interface is well thought. I love the post-post apocalyptic world they are working on and for me the best about this game is the immersion and deep systems to interact with.

Right now its 10€ or 9€ i dont remember but do check it out. There is a free demo in the devs' site which doesnt include tiles and it's allegedly outdated but maybe it's enough to see if it's your thing or not?

Caves of Qud on Steam
    http://freeholdgames.com/ (devs)

PinXviiN, Noburu and Joiken like this.
  12. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

jimmyzoudcba and Psiklaw like this.
  13. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

Bionic Dues is also a thing. Wasn't my favourite, but I play very few of these kinds of games so it's probably just that I sucked at it. Like, really sucked at it. ::P:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238910/

Psiklaw likes this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Does Cavern Kings even considered roguelike? Roguelite? I find it hard to tell with some of these I swear, not being huge into roguelikes doesn't help. I guess not being turn-based, or tile-based means it's not in the strict sense of Roguelike as people use it. Damn confusing stuff, but game seems fun.

Psiklaw likes this.
  15. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Wikipedia definition of Roguelike: Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally-generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character.

Roguelites (aka Roguelikelike) are sort-of roguelikes; they lack some of the things that roguelikes have (namely turn based gameplay and sometimes tile-based graphics) but usually they all have perma-death and procedurally generated levels. Also, a good amount of them have ridiculous difficulty and follow the design/balancing strategy of "let's make everything overpowered, including the things that go against the player, and then balance it all out," which is not a bad idea. Look at Nuclear Throne, there's literally a character that can block out all ranged damage for a few seconds and has an extremely short cool down on the ability. There's also a character that can summon an air strike, but trust me, the game is not easy because of such things.

BlueLuigi and Psiklaw like this.
  16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah I assumed that would throw it into roguelite, thanks for confirmation

J-man2003 likes this.
  17. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

18. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

J-man2003 and veronartdoob like this.
  19. BlueLuigi and Psiklaw like this.
  20. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Hero siege. just picked it up while on sale, heaps of fun and I guess roguelike.

BlueLuigi and Magmus like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi