1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Double Slash, Double Jump?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Mersau1t, Jan 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

I have heard several skilled knights recommend that when double slashing, one should do a small jump during each, with a pause between them. This creates a sort of two hills shaped arc, rising, then falling, rising, then falling again (fig 2). I have also heard several skilled knights explain slash mechanics as functioning similarly to the face of a clock, from 12 to 6, hitting a 180 circular range (fig 1). I have heard (and observed) that a slash travels from top to bottom on the path it takes. With all this in mind, it would seem that it would be to the attacking knight's disadvantage (timing-wise) to be above their opponent when releasing a slash, as the attacking knight's slash would take longer to travel down to the defending knight than the defending knight's counter would take to reach them. This is confusing to me, because the advantage to this trick, I have heard, is that your attack reaches them faster (fig 3). Is this due to you falling, thus, hitting the enemy at higher in the arc then they would expect? Wouldn't a basic understanding of the shape of a slash arc counter this?

My question, then, is this: what is the advantage, if any, to performing these two small jumps in executing a double slash? Have I been mislead, does it just look cool? Is it somehow faster? If I have somehow misunderstood the basic mechanics of a slash, please let me know. If you'd like me to further elaborate exactly what I'm talking about with these jumps, please let me know! Thank you all for your time!

EDIT: decided to add pictures, on reading this, I realized it might not make sense.

Fig 1
    Radius.png

Fig 2 (remember, this is done as a double slash, not two singles.)
    Slash.png

Fig 3
    contact.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Though I have been playing KAG for >4 years, I am not 100% sure of the game mechanics. (I don't like to put much thought into games.)

But I think your understanding of slashes is incorrect. When you slash, though your sprite might appear to make an arcing motion with his sword, the whole slash happens in one frame. That means the whole slash is released at the same time. All points on the arc are "activated" simultaneously.

It would be an unnecessary drain on the server to check on the sword's location several times in a single slash.

Thus, I think the advantage in doing the jumps while slashing is two-fold:
    1. You move a little faster/farther through the air than you would on the ground due to friction (This might be completely wrong, It's difficult to tell)
    2. You get the height advantage, which means you can occasionally get lucky stomps by slashing on top of their head.
    Hope this explains things well enough.

Mersau1t, Obione5256 and SirDangalang like this.
  3. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

Cool, thanks a lot man, I totally see what you mean by moving more quickly with a slash as opposed to the ground, and from what I can see, a slash does in fact seem to hit the full arc all at once, that helps a lot!

4. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Glad to finally see one of my trainees becoming a try hard :wink:

Mersau1t likes this.
  5. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

The greater your velocity, the further your range. If you jump and slash on the way down, you will have a greater downward velocity than the upward velocity of the scrub chilling on the ground.

Mersau1t likes this.
  6. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The sword area depends on your velocity and where you aim youur cursor. Go into offline sandbox and start the debug mode then start slashing and jabbing, you'll see the hitboxes angles.
    On ground the shield can cover better against a slash as there's dirt under, if you slash on air the shielder will ahve to be more precise. Also, the jumping makes you move a bit faster.
    The magic sometimes resides in releasing your slash slightly earlier than it seems in the screen, not because of lag, but because even if the sprites show the sowrd is on the top, the hitbox reach is at its 100% angle.

As you have surely noted, the good knights usually don't just fight, they have great mobility, retreat to wait for you to be weak, and try to get the height advantage for stomping/stun/hit. If you see a knight charging a slash but going in the opposite direction, don't follow him, leap backwards.

7. just sit on a high ground to win fights