1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anime general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 10110100101, Mar 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Help, I am having too much fun watching Shokugeki no Souma, how can cooking be so hype?

BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I figured I didn't recognize the name when he posted it about Akagi, heh but I did watch Kaiji and it was good stuff though I didn't finish it and should probably go do so.
    There were some pretty good anime that were similar related to Go but they died pretty fast.

Mersau1t likes this.
  3. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

If you didn't finish Season 2, that would be understandable, because the last arc just drags on really long. They really overdo the drama, imo. Well, understandably the stakes are high, but because the game premise is simple, there aren't as many cool mind games.

The first arc of S2 was very satisfying though.

Mersau1t and BlueLuigi like this.
  4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I actually had got sucked up in something else at the time about 6-7 episodes in, I really owe it to go back and watch it was super satisfying.

ParaLogia likes this.
  5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

You have much to look forward to, then. Kaiji is one of those intense anime that keeps you watching, even against your will.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Just came across the manga for ERASED (Boku dake ga inai machi) without realising it and started reading. Only discovered afterwards that it was that. Just about to watch the first episode, so not sure when it ends but everything I have read so far is top-notch.

SirDangalang likes this.
  7. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Winter 2016 season hasn't been too bad so far. Would say that ERASED is going to be the one that stands out this time. Anyways, AYAYAYA

8. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Been reading more of ERASED.
    It has got even better.

EDIT: caught up. 5 stars 10/10 soooooo goooood

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  9. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

Finished Kaiji, especially fun to watch while job hunting. Totally great, loved it all the way through! Totally saw what you meant by the very last game being maybe a bit boring("THIS BOX IS AMAZING!"), I may actually now read the manga because I liked it so much. One of my irl friends has reccomended the manga of "Liar Game", have you/anyone seen the anime?

Does anyone have any recommendations for other "High Stakes Game" shows? I think this is the genre for me lol.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. Croco-Dile

Croco-Dile The Reptilian Donator

I've watched like the first season of One Piece, it's pretty good I'm just not that type of person that can keep up with a schedule if watching one episode everyday and I can't sit still doing nothing for 30 mins of the episode.
    I need to be doing things!!!

11. ParaLogia

Glad you liked it. I think I've heard of Liar Game, but I've never read/watched it.

A pretty good anime with high-stakes games would be "No Game No Life". It's got some weird anime-y elements like fanservice, but the story takes the games and pushes them to the extreme. Also maybe "Death Note", but that's got a lot more depth and isn't really about games, just trying to outwit other people for survival.

One thing I like about Kaiji that isn't present in these other shows is that the MC is not a super-genius from the start. He's just a normal guy who makes mistakes (for which he suffers), but once in a while, he pulls through with some true ingenuity.

Mersau1t likes this.
  12. sangfroid

sangfroid What is your raison d'ĂȘtre? Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I haven't posted here before but I recently finished watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and just wanted to give it a big recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it already. I really enjoyed the heart-warming story they presented despite some of the cheesier parts and also would say it's totally worth watching for the musical selection by itself.

Hawxx and SirDangalang like this.
  13. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

God I haven't finished watching it all yet but I have legitimately teared up at some parts of "Your Lie in April". I mean I am a chubby wimp but dear lord the feels lol :QQ::heart:

BlueLuigi likes this.
  14. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

I watched and read "Death Note" which I def enjoyed, however, I had a really hard time with the godlike abilities/cutsey author self insert nonsense of the detectives in it. I completely agree with what you said about the abilities of the protagonist being so important to what's so interesting about Kaiji, I have found, after watching episode 1-3 of "Liar Game" and 1-3 of "No Game No Life" (Awesome!!!) that Liar Game has it quite a bit more than NGNL. Before embarking on the quest to finish the manga of Kaiji, I would like to find 2-3 more anime which feature similar high stakes games, with even token regard for the protagonist not being a supergenius. Kaiji is a smart guy, but honestly, almost always does things which are either not at all in the spirit of the game being played, or not at all based on his standing in said game. Sort of a bizarre comparison, but I found myself comparing him more than once to Yang Wen Li from "Legend of The Galactic Heroes" (simply amazing) in terms of desperation genius/moral incorruptability. I highly recommend it if you're interested in like 150 45 minute episodes and a 250+ character cast. Honestly, if "Death Note" had remained as it was in the first 2 or 3 arcs, where Light is busy dealing with very matter of fact and realistic/non convoluted concerns, I would have been much more interested throughout. I would compare "Liar Game" to a "Death Note" where all of the rules exist up front, the decisions make total logical sense, and the protagonist has a very difficult time with said game. My only complaint so far is the completely absurd, almost "Phoenix Wright" level mental breakdowns the otherwise completely sober and somewhat realistic/logical characters have to totally logical things happening. I guess I'm almost asking for an anime to be exactly like a movie, as this sort of totally exaggerated (ie Kaiji's constant manly crying, which I was totally in love with, or even the absurd lengths some of the games and reactions are taken to, which I also totally adored) action is what seems to get to me the most, but there has got to be something out there that caters to this bizarre desire. I guess ideally I'm thinking an anime which features a depressed young to middle aged alcoholic man who repeatedly loses at complex irl gambling and there's just no embellishment whatsoever. Pretty close to Kaiji, for sure, but somehow I don't think there's anything that does this, beyond maybe the deuteragonist of Akagi.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

To those who were discussing Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: the feels are indeed among some of the most powerful I have experienced.
    Also, that show makes sweat look really good. I know that might sound weird, but seriously...

In other news, I recently watched Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live). If anyone here hasn't heard of it and have enough free time for a 12-episode anime, don't look up anything about it, and just watch it blind. Odds are good that you will enjoy yourself.

16. ParaLogia

I like the new avatar. :wink:

Yea, with Death Note, I was most interested in the first few volumes. (I read the manga.) I didn't mind the supernatural stuff that much, because Death Note was a new genre for me (I was like 13), but the beginning felt really strong to me.

One thing I forgot to mention about NGNL is that the story is incomplete. If the 12 anime episodes interest you, you will have to continue by reading Light Novels (idk where to find them).

And I've heard of LoGH many times. It's one of those shows that's on my radar, but I never have the motivation/time to start because it's so long.

I wish I knew more shows that scratch the same itch as Kaiji. I'm generally satisfied in finding "thriller"-type shows that keep your attention from episode to episode.

Mersau1t likes this.
  17. TheAverageMan

TheAverageMan Shark Slayer
    1. DUCKS - We Love DUCKS

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DOOOOOOO? WHY DID THEY USE THE CGI BULLSHIT? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Didn't even bother watching the previous movies after seeing some clips of the cgi awhile back and now this? JUST WHHHHHY!!!? EAT A BOATLOAD OF DICKS NBC OR WHOEVER DID THIS >:U

Not that I have anything against cgi in particular, it's super useful but the way they're doing it, it looks like fireemblem a cutscene or some bs. It doesn't look like the gritty berserk that I imagined. Will still watch it ofc, but the hype is slightly gone :l

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

Good to know that NGNL is incomplete, I have a lot of good book/comic stores where I'm at, so I should be set irl. The very, very nice thing about LotGH is that each time a character appears in each episode, there's a nice little subtitle with their name and position, and the artists do a great job at making people (generally) look different enough to prevent just forgetting what's going on. The show is also nicely split into like 15-20 plot arcs, that all have a good amount of time in between them, so it really does help facitilate watching it over a long period of time. Interestingly, the show was released in OVA form on VHS for several months/years, so even the firs viewers of it saw it that way. But I also like really dry stuff.

19. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I have read the whole "Liar Game" manga, it's good. With regards to other high-stakes anime/manga, I would recommend this:
    https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kagu...to-the-geniuses-war-of-love-and-brains-r17274
    It's more of a satire of those types of manga, but it is very funny.

Mersau1t likes this.
  20. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Expected it. Some shizz' ..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
Mods: BlueLuigi