1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

(Gamemode Idea) Defend the king!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Schmierhub, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Schmierhub

Schmierhub Shipwright

Hi guys,
    I had this idea in my head for a while:
    Every team has to defend its king!

At the start of the round a random player gets chosen to be the king,
    and from that moment the whole team has to make sure he doesn't get killed.

What do you think about it? (the players on the juxta++CTF loved the idea *wink)

- One addition could be that the king moves really slow (fat, wealthy king)

- Quite Down Below mentioned that they're just gonna entomb the king -
    that could be true, and I don't know what to do about it.

- Also a griefer "king" would just kill himself to destroy the match
    Maybe the system could chose another random player to be king then.
    That would be also useful in case the king has to leave the game.

- Someone talked about a regicide-mod that was already up and running on KAG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Bruno-Brazuka

Bruno-Brazuka Base Burner

I'm still waiting for play this game mode ;-;

3. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

maybe the King is AI??

mcrifel likes this.
  4. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

I support this idea, being the king as a player could be boring and he could make dumb decisions, he will walk around at the spawn but wont leave it and you can't build in the spawn.

5. Berterson

Berterson Shipwright

The AI idea sounds pretty nice. However if that can't be done, I would like to say that there should be some sort of play-reward system so players will legitimately try to win, maybe points and perks.
    I've been playing the gamemode and it has been going smoothly, but when a KING leaves (as you mentioned) the game continues. So a random selection system would be great.

6. Slann

Slann Base Burner

AI is just too dumb, there would be no difference between killing it or stealing a flag. I prefer the idea of using a player as a king because a player can introduce more enjoyable moments. Just, a griefer could obtain the crown, but that should happen in rare occasions. The entombing thing is not that bad, after all, diggers are gonna dig.

7. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

AI doesn't need to be smart though, he could just stay at the spawn and nothing will happen. You must realize that a player controlled king won't work because:

- Like said before, some people could ruin the game by just killing themself
    - Noobs that become the kings will just enrage other people by making stupid mistakes like walking in the battlefield.
    - Being a king would for most people be incredibly boring as they can barely do anything. Especially if you want to entomb him.

As for entombing, entombing is again for the most people boring. Just endless digging towards a king won't be fun and it will become a massive stalemate every time most likely as I am pretty sure the players spawn near the king.

Berterson likes this.
  8. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

You could always have it like TDM where there are no builders and have the respawn timer be a tad longer to have some in sense moments where the king is hunted down :rekt:

9. Berterson

Berterson Shipwright

Just an idea to throw out. Since usually as kings, you need to be cautious, is it possible to implement the migrant mechanic in here? So if a king wants to go out into the battlefield, they could use a "henchman".
    What I mean is to be able to spawn some migrants who are under the king's control. Then, the king could simply swap into one of the migrants and do whatsoever without much worry.