1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG KAG Build 1792 - Steam Achievements, Fixes and Resolution Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Mar 14, 2016.

?

How Excited are you for Achievements?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2016.
  1. YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW EXCITED!

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. I WILL COLLECT THEM ALL!

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. I AM MUCH MORE INTERESTED IN THE COLOURFUL FLOWERS!

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Sweet, I'll try out achievements later today.

2. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

When they work, we all will ::):

3. mehwaffle10

mehwaffle10 Haxor Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

From the viewpoint of an oldie, can we PLEASE not force the res it completely fucks over all my normal mouse movements and makes everything look bad imo ie the bug eyed archers

Vamist likes this.
  4. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

let's shit on the devs for trying to give us what we asked for
    how intelligent

5. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I dont remember anyone begging for steam achievements and i can relate to someone being pissed off over broken mechanics not being fixed because the developers dont feel like it. That said thank you norill for your work, and datnob he isnt upset at the person who made the new stuff, he is irritated at the actual developers for not fixing things that have been broken for over a year.

RadioActive and Yagger like this.
  6. whoops. there was a clause in achievements code that restricted them to test build in order to prevent accidentally releasing that code to public build before it was ready. we kinda forgot to remove that clause. but it should be fixed now. if you see any bugs related to achievements, you know where to find me :B):

SirDangalang and Solaris like this.
  7. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

DatPro I'll be "shittin' on devs" as long as there will be some serious bugs (like the one I mentioned before) still not fixed. All I want is Geti to fix all this crap he f:anger:ked up some time ago. That's all. Someone has to do it, dude.
    Also I don't know for sure but I think Norill and Skinney are the only guys who worked on Steam Achievements, so the most important things in this update are from them, not devs. I think I thanked them for it. What else you want me to do?

And this is how changelong looks like to me:
    To make changelog longer, bigger they should add infos about the new maps, heh. But wait!? Maps, new maps? Did not they forgot about something? Ah.. Probably it's me and that I did not see the post where they wrote "not in this update, they will be added/changed in the next one". Cool.
    ::D::QQ:
    You can start your h8, idfc

8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Maps are in this update, just not in the changelog, no idea why.
    Real changelog:
    Code:
    [fixed] mine deploying when not moving but not touching map or water (eg trap blocks, doors)
    [added] sync to faketech methods (may fix desync on ballista bomb bolt tech)
    [fixed] ctf tutorial gui derp (thanks makmoud98)
    [fixed] trader in wrong position in tth tutorial (thanks makmoud98)
    [updated] engine with resolution finding changes in it (banning too-big windows for the time being)
    [updated] engine + start menu gives warning about fullscreen bugs and doesn't cram into such little space
    [modified] default kag res 1280x720
    [added] res will change on first start after patch (if wrong aspect ratio)
    [added] skinney head, congratulations and thanks for all your work!
    [updated] engine
    [modified] default kag res to 1280x768 - needs testing and potentially "converting" old installs?
    [fixed] fire kills not credited correctly
    [fixed] null pointer in ThrowCommon.as
    [added] SURGE congratulations head for winning MLK2
    [modified] flowers made 87% more gay
    [removed] DecayIfLeftAlone.as from Warboat
    [added] new maps and modified default mapcycles for CTF and TDM
    [fixed] ramming kills not credited
    [added] drill hitter type
    Still nothing big, but definately something for a 5 year old game they have close to no interest in working on

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Solaris likes this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: crashes - I'm looking into it. This build should actually have fewer crashes with those kinds of strings but its possible there are issues online and cases we haven't allowed for.

The zoom/"bug eyed archers" has always happened (since mid classic builds) on every other resolution than the default resolution, which used to be 1024x768 (ie most common resolution circa 2003), and is now 720p (ie at least semi standard these days, and same ratio as 1080p and all the other common desktop res). If you want un-stretched pixels use 720p or an exact multiple of it.

Otherwise, please include what resolution you use at least, what other default you might like or what other options you'd want to see.

It's not an option to have "proper pixels" at all resolutions, as then at high res you'll start to see people teleporting and stopping animating and so on as they stop being synced at the edge of the screen (hardcoded distance). Syncing everything on the server is also not really a good option as bandwidth requirements would be double or more what it is currently.

We could look at using the same resolution-rendering tech as trench run, but then mouse movements would be even more warped and KAG would no longer work at all with ogl1 spec graphics. There's no perfect solution with our current tech imo.

We can go back to 1024x768 if there's significant demand for it, but most people use a widescreen resolution.

This actually has nothing to do with the "forcing resolution" system - it has to do with the default aspect ratio changing. Previously, at 1366x768 or whatever, you'd be getting a view that was cropped horizontally by quite a lot, leading to an "increased zoom". Because the default resolution was a 4:3 ratio, only 4:3 resolutions could see "the whole screen".
    Hopefully this image makes it clear.
    [​IMG]
    Now, 4:3 ratios (and 16:10, though to a very small extent) are penalised by being cropped. 16:9 res get the full screen space and can see a little further. It's interesting that you'd say that you would prefer seeing less of the space compared to someone using a tall aspect, when that would put you at a disadvantage?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    bru-jaz and makmoud98 like this.
  10. Vexrak

Vexrak Tech-Mage Donator

So I can't have a password for my server if I want to play solo? Huh, that kinda sucks.
    (That was a rhetorical question)

11. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

It's a stupid bug.
    Anyway I suggest making a different separate installation for your server (just copy paste the entire KAG folder), when scripted menus come out, you won't be able to run your game and server from the same installation, because the menu will start the menu as if it's a local server and use the sv_port (unless you run the server -> change port -> run your game, but it's a pain in the ass)

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This "should" be fixed fairly soon - I'm testing it online at the moment before pushing out the fix. Some international names will be truncated but its a lot better than it just crashing. Also, any non-BMP (basic multilingual plane) characters will be replaced with ?? characters - unfortunately this is the best we can do at this time :(

Noburu likes this.
  13. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Loving these achievements. Can tell you dropping off of a tower driving a catapult, falling 30 blocks and crushing 3 people, and then proceeding to run over more is the best KAG experience ever. Thx for chieves tbh.

14. Geti

Patch going out to hopefully fix the name related crashes. Some people may now be screwed out of using some of their local script - if you in particular are troubled please let me know and I'll see if I can sort out compatibility, but as you might have guessed it's not a nice thing to do in a cross-platform way, each OS has its own idea about whats ok and our gfx library decided the windows way was good (it's not). We'd use UTF-8 everywhere if we could.

Edit: and another to reduce the minimum window border size for windowed mode. This should allow people who are at "just over 720p" res to run it at 720p windowed should they choose.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Noburu likes this.
  15. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

toothgrinderx likes this.
  16. Geti

It will not cause either, we do not use a perspective camera. What you may be seeing is an uneven pixel scale from not being an integer multiple of the default resolution - if you want "perfect pixels" you will have to play at 720p or a directly multiple therein.

ALSO: PLEASE for any graphically-related "reports" include your screen and game resolution, and a screenshot if possible!

17. KArth

KArth Ballista Bolt Thrower

Totally agree...
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 15, 2016, Original Post Date: Mar 15, 2016 ---
    How do I upload thumbnails? :/

This happened to me while trying to get the Black Knight Achievement
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 15, 2016 ---
    Also, the shops didn't work in Solo mode

Attached Files:

norill likes this.
  18. bespers

bespers Catapult Fodder

Just a random question. Why isnt the full changelog listed when the changes are listed (such as through steam) or other areas? Am I missing a link to the full changelog? I hate being left discovering changes post updates that the devs decided to keep hidden.

Also here is a buggy:

So my game used to work fine in 1080p but now it only does THIS [i.imgur.com] when set at 1920x1080 windowed, and THIS [i.imgur.com] when its fullscreen. Another round of amazing updates.

Here are the this' if you hate links like me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: tried to manually set the res and still no fix
    edit2: ignore the left side, I have dual monitors. also, why is there not a "I dont care about the achievements or the flowers I want mines and builder attacks to be fixed" option on the poll? ;)

19. Geti

@KArth - what happened while trying to get the achievement? It's totally unclear what you mean, sorry :/

The full changelog is often longer than a few changes. There is not a public changelog link, but Mazey does have access to an internal one (as do any of the other testers). In this case, I only had a few hours to get the release out yesterday, so the news post fell to the backburner.

Setting to 1080p windowed on a 1080p monitor used to result in broken rendering. As of this version, the window is forced to leave a small border at the edges of the screen to prevent the OS from resizing it to make it fit, which would result in broken rendering. The resulting resolution will often be non-standard and result in somewhat ugly scaling, but will at least not cause everything to be shifted and parts of the window to not respond to clicks.

On a 1080p monitor, I would suggest playing 720p windowed (the new default resolution, which results in no scaling at all), or 1080p fullscreen (which is at least the correct aspect).

Thanks for the screenshots to quickly explain the issue.

KAG does not support (and has never supported) multiple monitors. The rendering library that we're using does not support them and we have no intent on patching their code, sorry.

Your sarcasm is just wonderful. Really makes helping you so rewarding.

bru-jaz and Solaris like this.
  20. Osmal

Osmal Bison Rider Donator
    1. [Server] Sandbox Reborn

Using runlocalhost.exe doesnt load mods. Dedicated server and manual connecting works though.

Win 8