1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wiki Mybb over xenforo

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by warcrab, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. warcrab

warcrab Catapult Fodder

I know its highly unlikely but is there a chance of the forum changing in favor of mybb over xenforo?

2. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Why? Xenforo is lovely with full of features, not to mention its community is quite big.

link6155 likes this.
  3. warcrab

warcrab Catapult Fodder

Well mybb is free and open source (not really sure if that matters here) and it feels alot more clean and nice (with the right theme ofcourse)
    Also its very easily customization, infact a site (i wont name) made a whole altcoin that runs as a plugin and user have their on wallet in there profile.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're not likely to migrate, there's too much infrastructure set up here (auth, resources, groups, all the moderation/testing stuff, nonsense like trophies and emotes).

Personally I'm not a fan of xenforo but I don't have to deal with the admin stuff, so my opinion is kind of irrelevant.

FOSS only matters to us when it provides tangible benefits and the solution isn't the usual half-as-good free quality. For xenforo, licensing isn't a big deal, and it means someone's accountable if something is broken.

5. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I used to use MyBB back when I hosted servers for various games. After only a day of usage, the website was hacked by some turkish hacker group. Xenforo interface for admins is a lot more intuitive IMO, MyBB doesn't feel as polish to me. Right now Flarum looks to be a really interesting approach to forums, but I don't think THD is planning to change anytime soon.

6. warcrab

warcrab Catapult Fodder

Since mybb is foss you have to patch some exploits by your self, or you where running a outdated version.

7. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

This was a long time ago, so they may or may not have patched it by now. FOSS doesn't necessarily mean it is flawless.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just WRT "patch the exploits yourself" - because noone has anything better to do than that, right?

9. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

No, we're not migrating away from XenForo to MyBB. I think we were using it at the beginning of KAG history. We have migrated to XenForo quickly enough because MyBB wasn't working well with thousands of active users daily. (Yeah, forums were that active at beginning).

Locking this thread.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.