1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

change Surrender vote's passing %

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PUNK123, Apr 29, 2016.

?

How should the vote work (% needed to pass)

1. 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 90%

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 70-80%

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. over 50%

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Very very very irritating to deal with ingame atm. It just passes way to much because all you need is the majority of 1 team. Would be nice for it to need over 70-80% to pass because having a game end from a 4-3 vote is just bad

Osmal, Magmus and SirDangalang like this.
  2. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Tbh I don't see the point of a surrender vote. If a "noob" team is against a better team, it should be an incentive for the worse team to take out the better team, not just giving up on the game, then to be swapped into very similar teams the next round.

Or when someone does a random surrender vote, even when their team is winning. It's annoying and seems like a form of griefing.

Osmal likes this.
  3. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

The surrender vote is implemented to allow people to end stalemates and no caps, or otherwise long and boring matches. The community just uses it the wrong way a lot of the time, I could probably be considered someone who uses it in the wrong way as i've started surrender votes when the match is clearly one sided but our team is hanging on by a thread, and it has been that way for more than 2 hours. But in this case I feel it's justified because I mean, what's the result? There's a very slim chance of us coming back if we can barely hang on, people will leave because the match will begin to become a tedious slog of just trying to get out of your base, and if we do win, the match is probably gonna go on for another 2-3 hours, it's like come on, new map please.

EDIT: Also punk I think you should make the title of this thread a little more specific, when I first went on to it I thought it was a thread trying to suggest the surrender vote itself, then I saw it was about tweaking the democracy of it. :D

bru-jaz and Gurin like this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I definitely would like to see a minimum percentage on all votes - I know non-participation has been an issue but the biggest complaint we get about the vote system now is that it's too easy for votes to pass.

In the case of the surrender - the entire point is to allow a team to "GG" out without skipping the map and without the other team being able to block that, and continue to another game without massive drops in morale. Saying that they should toughen up and fight back is irrelevant - the main response of a noob team losing is for half of them to leave, giving the poor remaining members no chance in hell to win, shattering morale and leading to even more of them leaving, and some of the winning team being forcefully converted to the team they've just been whooping for 20mins straight - having a "pressure release" valve for that is important.

bru-jaz and SirDangalang like this.
  5. PUNK123

Ofc but i feel like it is abit cheeky for a game to end based off of 1 persons vote vs the other half of the team(ie
    9-8). I just feel like giving up should need more of a team consensus and not just slight majority.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@norill is this something you have time for or should I set aside some time to look at it next week?

7. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Surrenders are fine typically, I start the votes myself when the map is nothing but ballista shredded water filled cancer after 2 hours of people firing from their flag and still no end im sight.

One problem though, there is no way for admins to cancel these votes. Under normal circumstances no, I don't think an admin should be able to interfere with the surrender. However yesterday someone literally joined the server, started a surrender vote and it passed. Half of the surrendering team just wot'd and seemed irked. With all votes there will be people who just favor them because they don't even bother to see what they're voting for. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Up surrender vote requirement to 7/10 imo and if we don't want admins to have the cancel option most definitely make it so only a player who's been on the team for 15-20 minutes can start it.

mfw when blue surrenders in build time ffs

bru-jaz, EhRa and an_obamanation like this.
  8. an_obamanation

If the surrender vote was upped to about 70-80% then I think an admin being unable to cancel the votes would not be that much of an issue, as SOME people read votes before they start pressing keys (Like myself.), it does provide more issues when it comes to things like stubborn people who can't deal with the fact that losing in a video game is a thing and makes it more likely that the majority of a team will get shit on by some guy and his friend, but at least the system would be less abused that way. I'd say 10-15 instead of 15-20 for being able to start the vote in the first place as 10 minutes is still enough time to be able to process "Yes, our team is losing badly but we're just too stubborn to actually die, but now many people on our team are leaving so we're clearly going to lose, and the game's population is gonna tank. Time to surrender."

9. Geti

Those of you asking for it to be as high as 80% or more must have missed the reason the requirements there were dropped. Good luck getting any vote passed when at least half of players dont give a single fuck about anything.

bru-jaz, an_obamanation and makmoud98 like this.
  10. an_obamanation

80% was like an at MOST for me. Hell yeah anything more is never going to get passed especially 100%, I never see a vote get passed where all players vote for it. 60 or 70 would be more beneficial for both parties in my eyes (The party of people who are fine with it right now, and the party that wants it to change.).

11. PUNK123

MFW when people spam surrender votes immediately after they lose their last flag. That should be a false vote unless the other team is just refusing to capture the flag and admins should be able to cancel said vote.
    Not asking for every vote to have 80%, just the one vote that next maps based off of 1 team's feelings.

12. Geti

Bumping this since apparently it's a sore point for some.

Summary of the way it currently works (all votes work this way)
    • There's a base percentage it has to reach (currently 50%)
    • This percentage is calculated based on the votes that were made, not the maximum number available.
    • For example, if there's 10 in the team, 3 vote yes, 2 vote no, that's calculated as 3 out of (3+2) = 60% yes vote - NOT 3 out of 10 = 30%
    This last part might be a better candidate to be changed. From memory (it was over a year ago) it was made because there's a lot of people who don't care about votes, so getting a vote to pass was almost impossible (even with a (then) 40% threshold, let alone 50% or 80% like was suggested above)

13. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I posted this somewhere else, but why not

if yes - no >=2, pass vote

Seems simple enough to me. The thing about 50% is 5v4s will pass, which doesn't seem right. I think trying to pick the right % threshold is weird and overcomplicated. It's more clear how this will work at any population.

Osmal and epsilon like this.
  14. PUNK123

Seems like a fair enough point. The general though process when i originally made this thread was that "hey if it's 50% they can just raise it to 70%". Now i believe all the votes have the same 50% needed and you would just have to re-code it anyway. i dont have an issue with the idea and i feel like if a player tries to surrender just to stop the other one from capping it would generally be harder to do.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  15. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

If that was the case then a team made of 3 players, having 2 voting Yes and 1 voting No, won't ever manage to get to surrender (let not speak of teams with lesser players).
    Unless if the whole team becomes way too desperate to have every member pick 'Yes' -or having some lazy players that are uninterested in voting- right?
    While tweaking a vote, a global solution is required; The one that was stated by Potatobird sounds to be a good one but just keep in mind the situation I gave above.

Mods: Rainbows