1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Money Making Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fellere825, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

This is for all of you business types and economists who want to see Geti and MM not worry too much about their economic situations and to be able to focus on KAG development. Please post your money making ideas here. The ideas may be silly, they may even be serious, but most importantly they have to be MONEY MAKERS.

Fellere's money making ideas for Geti and MM:
    1. Run ads on this forum site. One or two unobtrusive ads can generate a small revenue that can cover the cost of something. Money is money and with the traffic you get on the forums I'm betting you that y'all can get a pretty nice amount of money.

2. Charity auction (over a piece of in game hard wear "hats/ official custom sprite... etc") where the most of proceeds will go to the "MM and Geti Food Shelter" so you guys won't be starving artists. The other portion of the proceeds could go to some real charity as some people would like that.

3. Right before you are about to send your game off to be advertised by some spokesperson add an extra dollar or euro into the price for KAG.

4. Have KAG tournaments with buy-ins. Like online poker but with KAG... Winner take all tournament thing... You and MM get a *cough* small... commission cut for official server hosting and all of the fixings... (when i mean small I mean most).

5. Become male prostitutes (this business is very dangerous and is not recommended for those with strong gag reflexes and insecurity about their bodies)

edit: No idea if this is supposed to go under suggestions, off topic, or general discussions as I can see it falling under all three categories...

2. Menace

Menace Shipwright

More servers available and heavy marketing of the game to the right people is what it needs (i like to consider myself an economist and do also run my own hosting business) Have only just recently started talking with Geti but we do have some reasonable advertising power and as far as hosting services go we can hold a strong presence in the Australian/asia-pacific region with servers located in Sydney.

3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I like number 5 the most. Seems the most realistic and safe method!

... Back to reality. I wouldn't mind ads on the forum or on the website. So long as there's no auto sound playing or anything that actually tries to cut into the screen (basically ads on the sides would be nice) then it's fine. Anyone who complains can go and try and make money off an undeveloped game and see how they manage.

Tournaments also sound fun.

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Some unobtrusive ads (of the non-flashing, non-musical variety, please!) sounds good. One thing that people would need to remember if ads became a reality on the forums/website/wiki/etc. is to TURN OFF ADBLOCKER FOR THESE SITES, hem, or Geti & MM won't get a cent - unintentionally starving your favourite site of ad-hits (i.e. loading a page with the add on it) has happened before and it can be devastating if the site owners are relying on that income...

An auction might be kind of epic - just need to make sure it's well advertised and hence well attended (something that might benefit from KAG being marketed to a wider audience? As per Menace's suggestion?).

I agree with Neat, tournaments sound like fun. Geti mentioned something about gambling using in-game coin but that could be, shall we say, extended...? :D

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There is only one option: Hats.

e: No one in their right mind turns off adblocker for any websites.

6. Neat

I don't have adblocker. Why does anyone give a shit about ads anyway? Just close them and ignore them.

Off-topic chains like this are ugly -FinDude

Agent_008 likes this.
  7. BlueLuigi

They take time to load and are more often than not intrusive.

An adblocker can save you a lot of grief. Of course if you only visit 1-2 forums and check email, you don't need it, but if you travel the internet, you should have ABP.

Dark_Ham likes this.
  8. Neat

Meh. They don't really piss me off enough to bother getting something just to stop them, and I can see the point of them. If they gave me viruses though then that would be due reason to stop them.

9. BlueLuigi

They often do leave you with spyware and such, a lot of people tend to adblock because of this. I'm sure whatever they used here they'd be a bit more selective in their approach, so we wouldn't have to worry about that, but you never really know with ads until you clean it up.

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

11. BlueLuigi

That's assuming they're pay per impression and not pay per click in which case most people are not going to click them anyway.

Let's be honest, how many times do you click a link even if it's something you're interested in? Most people will just use google instead.

P.S. KAG's site is small enough where it would most likely work on a pay per click basis.
    Also that ars technica article is pretty terrbile, the analogy to a restaurant instantly made me NOPE.

12. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

I would totally buy into a tournament! :D

Foxodi likes this.
  13. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

14. BlueLuigi

Custom made KAG things whether through cafepress or independent would be so awesome.

"Blue Knight Always Triumphs" shirt with blue knight pointing sword upward and using strong arm emote.
    "Your father smelt of elderberries" with a sprite of an old dude and some elderberries that look suspiciously like -cough-.
    Etc.

15. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Btw: As far as I can remember they did not start doing the big advertising yet since they want to polish the game more before they do. (At least I can remember Geti saying something like that on the IRC sometime ago...)

16. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

OOO OOO I WANT FINDUDE INFRACTION TOO!

EDIT: Damn it Contrary that was for FinDude!

Valkyrie likes this.
  17. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Honestly, in-game items are not a good idea. The reason I say this is because they need to focus on putting more content into the game and not to individual people. This is just like pre-order bonuses. They make no since because they could easily have added that content into the game and make it more enjoyable for the player and not be greedy hogs *cough* Blizzard *cough* and worry about the actual enjoyment that the players have. That's how I put it.

18. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I can tell you that putting in-game purchasable content other than that which is included in premium kag is a very low priority for Geti & MM and will not be something that comes along till the game is in a much more complete state.

Dark_Ham likes this.
  19. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Shadlington, I was referring to the tournaments that were stated above to win hats etc. Not in-game items that are purchasable via an in-game store.

20. BlueLuigi

So hats in.... 2 years?