1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Builder Block Key-Binding

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Darksteel, Sep 6, 2016.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

This is a suggestion to make builder a touch more fluid a class to play.

Having the ability to bind the craftable blocks from the Builder's "F" menu to keys on the Keyboard would make the builder far more streamlined.

Pros:

Builder get's a buff.
    Builder is a more powerful class.
    No need for the builder to open his inventory at all. [except to drop stuff]

Cons:

Builder becomes more powerful, potentially thwarting a delicate balance of classes.
    People will rage when a builder instantly places a stone block followed by a door.

Discuss.

2. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

I support this idea fully, this needs to be a thing. I normally cant live without hotkeys.

Biurza likes this.
  3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Uhh, there's 11 building options, where would you put all those keys so you can reach them with one hand?

That really wouldn't make builders any stronger. All the best builders already select blocks pretty damn quickly because the menu is what they're used to.

Also pretty sure the devs don't want to add any more hotkeys, I don't remember why though.

4. Turtlebutt

Turtlebutt Bison Rider Tester

i mean u can also get mouse macro pages, so u can switch them and inject them into ur mouse or maybe someone could make lke a ''cheat'' .dll that you inject into your game when u need to, or just have a mouse with alot of buttons lol

5. asger75

asger75 Haxor

I believe that a builder class would be a good edition to the the game... wait what?
    nvm builder classes would never work
    #knight&archermasterrace
    fite me irl

6. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

some people have mouses with extra buttons and you can just hotkey the important ones like stone, wood, doors but leave things like trapdoors unhotkeyed.

7. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Tbh I like the idea. Current menu is clunky when in risky situations.

joshua12131415 and bru-jaz like this.
  8. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

+1.
    Just set everything to be default not binded but bindable and you can bind whatever you want.
    But Iwould keep it the same just to prevent instant blocking.

9. Darksteel

Well, you don't really need instant access to ALL of them, really only 4 or 5. [Stone block, Wood Door, Stone Door and Ladder, plus Wood Block.]

And I was thinking something along the lines of "R-T-Y" and "G-H-B" plus Shift+"R-T-Y-G-H-B" that would cover all of them plus be relatively easy to reach

No matter what, hotkeys are faster. You could essentially build a defense in 10 seconds that would normally take you 20. It would actually be really powerful.

Thank you all for listening to my idea anyway. :D

10. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

You should be allowed to rebind the emote keys with the blocks too.
    Agreed. It should be similar as changing the emotes for the 1-9 keys, where you can bind blocks by changing some values in the game files.

bru-jaz and jimmyzoudcba like this.
  11. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I always thought about that mechanic. It would be very handful binding at least doors or stoneblocks.
    If that statement is true, then the are kinda cheating. Another reason to add this.

Related>
    https://forum.thd.vg/threads/control-implementations.17769/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

Don't forget about your feet, put those bad boys 2 work
    https://www.amazon.com/Fragpedal-Quad-PC-Gaming-Footpedal/dp/B005GVWTS4

daskew87, Potatobird and asger75 like this.
  13. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Don't change it, it's part of gameplay and it's not that hard to learn. The better builder you are the faster you swap blocks, also this menu is least broken thing in builder gameplay.

PUNK123 likes this.
  14. Darksteel

@Geti sorry to tag you, but what are the odds of something like this even being implementable?

Genuinely curious if KAG's engine could allow it.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Uh it's possible but it'd be complicated because of the need for a GUI for it to see any real use. You could just save them to a config file which wouldn't be patched, but there's a bunch of work in making menu stuff like that that "works" in-game.

If someone did it as a mod I'd migrate it to vanilla a heartbeat but I've got too much else on my place to consider doing this. It's possible now but very time intensive.

bru-jaz likes this.
  16. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Someone please make a mod for this!

Geti likes this.
  17. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

why not just have an inventory bar like in other games? you can use the scroll wheel to switch blocks

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There are a few things "wrong with" an inventory bar
    • KAG is fairly fast paced, having to move your mouse to a separate bar in a fixed place on the screen isn't very compatible with that.
    • Most class actions can be done without needing to interact directly with your inventory - tapping F to swap ammo types is almost always quicker.
    • KAG doesn't have a particularly deep item system like the game (minecraft) that you're thinking of. It makes sense for them to have items on hand at all times, because they're how you interact with the world. In KAG, you interact through your class's abilities.
    However, using the scroll wheel would work - if it wasn't already used for zooming in and out.

I think hotkeys for builder blocks is a pretty good solution - but I don't have time to implement it.

franek123 and bru-jaz like this.
  19. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Half encouraging and half disappointing as always, Geti, hehe.
    Let's just wait for that moment to happen, then.

joshua12131415 and Geti like this.
  20. Loominati

Loominati Shipwright

Well there is always the mouse button 3. (That's pressing the scroll wheel for the uniformed.)

Mods: Rainbows