1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Bad Delta / MSG_INVENTORY_PUTIN + Network ID for Blobs

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by TFlippy, Nov 20, 2016.

1. TFlippy

TFlippy Arsonist Tester

Roughly after 30 minutes after server start, players start getting randomly disconnected due to "too much failed deltas", with the console getting spammed by this.

Players also usually get disconnected in bulk, usually with 4-6 other players - this becomes more frequent the longer the server is running.
    Aside from that, I also noticed that network IDs for blobs aren't being recycled when a blob dies, eventually causing it to overflow at 65535 and start over at 0, referencing to already existing blobs with that Network ID.

Log after being disconnected
    [​IMG]

Log when someone else disconnects
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

This would be really great if this could be fixed.

PUNK123 likes this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Are you running vanilla (it doesn't look like it)? We're not seeing this kind of thing on officials afaik.

This can be caused by a bug in a mod that doesn't implement networking-related functionality (the net-specific hooks, as well as potentially oncommand iirc) correctly.

4. TFlippy

TFlippy Arsonist Tester

It's the Territory Control mod. I've been trying to find the cause for a while, but it doesn't seem to happen on localhost or a locally hosted dedicated server.
    Also, it's been happening in the past, but not as frequently as now. I'll ask Vamist if he can host an earlier version and see if anything's changed.

5. Pirate-Rob

Could be the flamethrowers making an excessive amount of blobs?

6. TFlippy

TFlippy Arsonist Tester

Well, it creates around 10 blobs per second, the rest are just clientside particles. But it still doesn't explain the MSG_INVENTORY_PUTIN message. People told me that it sometimes happened when they were dropping items out of the bomber, but it doesn't utilize server_PutInInventory() at all. It just changes the quantity of the material inside the inventory and creates another blob under itself.

Also, this just happened when the server changed to next map.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  7. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

i have seen this happen on official servers on rare occasion

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@makmoud98 - when? Some very long game? Is it just with an excessive number of blobs?

For a flamer - doing that with blobs is a pretty wasteful idea :) Make a rules script that does simple physics, or abuse particles emission scripts for the logic (don't put it on every particle, just on a few).

Blob IDs not getting recycled safely sounds like a bug as I'm pretty sure they're meant to (wrapping around is fine - it's meant to check if there's a netobject with that ID first).

Pirate-Rob likes this.
  9. wsensor

wsensor Shark Slayer

Sometimes Territory Control server lets me stay on for a long period other times it can be shorter than 2 or 3 minutes or its an instant crash after rejoining the server (it connects but sometimes you just see tons of unknown players joined <team name> and than disconnects or just disconnects you outright) making me have to close the client.

Currently the disconnects can happen even when there is less than 10 total people playing on a fresh map etc.

The disconnects and crap happen almost anytime.

We do not even need the FLAMER to cause these crashes.
    Sometimes I get disconnected when people are spamming bombs from bombers.
    Sometimes the disconnects happen when putting items into storage.

Could some of it be glitching when people are storing items all at once with the quick store X buttons?

Here is my console files in case it can help (last 4). Man the console logs are large haha.

Attached Files:

10. TFlippy

TFlippy Arsonist Tester

The flame blobs are used to set nearby tiles and entities on fire, along with some particle emission. They're used by flamethrowers, incendiary bombs, oil drums and such. But yes, I may reduce the amount of them being spawned.

Also, according to Vamist, changing sv_fastdeltas in autoconfig.cfg to 1 causes the server to crash.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  11. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Yeah, Sv_fastdeltas 1 just ends the server after everything is loaded, with a keepalive script it just loops, starts up>loads>dies>repeat

12. Geti

Fast deltas hasn't worked for years. It's something MM added as a test way back in classic when someone was getting too much CPU usage on a huge-playercount server and had a lot of bandwidth to waste, and never maintained.

Norill was looking at it recently but I'm not sure much will come of that.

TFlippy likes this.
  13. Geti

You're getting hits count mismatches, this means one of two things:
    • Mod is coded incorrectly and has #define CLIENT_ONLY or #define SERVER_ONLY or used AddScript on client or server to add scripts with onHit.
    • A script with an onhit hook has had some sort of exception and stopped running serverside. Check the server logs.
    onHit MUST be run EXACTLY the same number of times on both server and client. If you need client/server-only behaviour, do that checking inside the function the normal way - you MUST make sure that the counts and returned damage values are the same on both ends.

TFlippy likes this.
  14. TFlippy

TFlippy Arsonist Tester

Thanks, I'll check for these.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Okay, I've gone through the onHit and checked if they returned the same value on server and client, and I didn't find anything odd.
    Here are some extra client logs.

[​IMG] ยจ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Geti likes this.
  15. Pirate-Rob

Those errors are so frustrating to see, even if it's not my mod >:o
    They don't really help with debugging either :/

16. Geti

I'd need to have a look at the mod in particular. It certainly looks like something is wrong with the networking there.

Will also check out if IDs are being properly recycled.

Potentially get in touch with Aphelion about this as I remember him having similar issues in the past, though I think he got similar answers.

Potential hairy workaround in the long term is writing a map load/save format that saves all the gamemode info (use a config file probably, encode everything as a string - could use an image but encoding overlapping blobs and things doesn't work well that way) - then have a simple TCPR daemon that saves the map every minute and reloads it every hour or however often the issue crops up.

Vamist and TFlippy like this.
  17. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

i was once making an epic action on fun ctf, there was map with a huge pit in middle, you couldn't make a bridge over it, me and a few friends thought of a plan to get to their base with a bomber, take their flag and fly back. we would drop minikegs on their base. all was going well. we got flag, rekt their base, we're coming back, flying over the pit, BAD DELTAS. i wanted to kill myself. it kicked 90% of the players from the server.

18. Vamist

Yeah, the FUN CTF still get rekt by the delta mod today, gets above 8 players, mod crashes and kicks most the players

19. Kasper123

Kasper123 Base Burner

Dunno if this helps, but me and my sister have noticed strange damage behavior.
    -Sometimes u get randomly wounded, is because sometimes, a replica of your character appears somewhere in the map and if players hurt it, they hurt you.
    -Some players can stab through shield, maybe network related, never seen it happen on other gamemodes though.
    -If u got 3 hearths left, the rifle will kill you even if it does only deal 2 hearths damage.
    -Slash sometimes doesnt stun.
    -If someone travel via mine or hall replica appears for few secs, just like on the issue above, and its possible to kill the player with this.

-Shadow Blade Kasper

20. Vamist

1. That's a bug, which if you get a screenshot of it happening could get fixed. Most likely char duplication bug, when chaning character
    2. Happens on TDM and CTF all the time, blame hitboxes
    3. Blame hitboxes
    4. Blame hitboxes and lag
    5. You can't kill the player with the duplicate of the mine, does nothing.