1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2059 - New APIClient, Updated Maps

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Dec 6, 2016.

?

New API Client Working For You?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2016.
  1. Yep!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Can't tell the difference, but game still works.

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  3. No, I have issues (leave details in the thread)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey folks,

This build is a fairly minor one for most players, but a big one for server hosts and one of our interns, Cameron1010.

The build contains the first public release of Cameron's code: a totally overhauled API Client. The old API Client was originally meant to be a proof-of-concept, but found its way into production and burrowed in deep. Cameron opted to take on this project and worked with us on designing and implementing a suitable replacement, and disentangling the old client from the engine where needed. Congratulations to him for seeing this project through!

The new API Client uses the same tried and true dependencies of the previous one, but takes a more modern, maintainable approach to the problem. There might be a bit of a bumpy transition as we move things over, but it's been quite extensively tested throughout development.

This should really just mean more server stability for hosts, but it has lead to a few additions to the engine that might make their way into the modding interface - the most exciting one being the possibility for simple asynchronous HTTP requests, which would allow mods to pull content or configuration from a web server without a TCPR bridge (modders who hate sharing, think "faction allegiances", "level progression", "community voted maps", "message of the day" tracked on an external website that you can keep the source closed on)...

The only other changes this build are an update to maps, and a single bugfix (missing KDR on scoreboard).

The community-sourced maps have been very much a mixed bag; this build sees a lot of them modified and a few new ones added as a result of feedback.

Code:
    Maps Added:
        SharkRomance (@Potatobird)
        SnitchMerc (@8x)
        Meadow (@Lavaguy678)
        MemoryLane (@Punk123)
    Maps Updated:
        an_obamananationAlientAntAssault        - reduced sky height
        ffsffClassicWar2                        - reduced bedrock
                                                - added islands
        ffsffSecludedForest                     - opened up mid
                                                - lowered hills
        ffsffUnderhangPit2                      - lowered hills, more flatmap-like now
                                                - optional tunnel underground for tunnelers
        JTG_FirstBadLands                       - increased stone around tent
        MazeyRioter                             - opened up mid
                                                - tent area closer to edge of map
        Punk123AlienFrogAssault                 - reduced sky height
        Punk123Hillo                            - it's different
    Keep the feedback coming! You can check the name of the map in chat at the start of each game now, so please let us know which one you're talking about!

Also, Please let us know asap if you have any issues that you think are a result of the new code, and include information about what OS you're on at minimum, please!

Have Fun!
    Max

Coroz, franek123, Psiklaw and 9 others like this.
  2. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

3. Cruxiat

Cruxiat Haxor Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Any idea as to when officials will be updated? still getting this: [​IMG] But overall a neat little update. Thanks THD!

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

First fun hiccup - server browser is showing old-version servers :) They'll patch themselves soon enough, but it's sure to ruffle a few feathers in the transition period. We'll see if we can get a fix build out before all the servers have patched though, build server isn't exactly moving fast at the moment.

E: since people asked - They'll patch as soon as the game they're currently running finishes.

5. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Suggestion: KDR should always be _.__ so it's easier to read (e.g. 2.00, 1.50, etc)
    upload_2016-12-6_12-25-10.png

6. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Can't tell the difference, but still works XD
    Great job devs and @cameron1010 !

7. robayy

robayy Catapult Fodder

Hi. I bought this game on steam and it won't authenticate as of today. I didn't see an update before, and only reinstalled. No idea if I have the update yet.

EDIT: The game does not crash - no crash report sorry!
    EDIT: On Mac if that helps.

8. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Oh wow, that sounds pretty legit! Gj cameron :)

HELL YES :D :D :D

lol

joshua12131415 likes this.
  9. Geti

What OS? Any console logs? You'll get better support emailing support directly fwiw - support@thd.vg

agree

E: seems to be working fine so I'm gonna take a break, server browser is fixed in the hotfix patch (same build number).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    epsilon likes this.
  10. robayy

robayy Catapult Fodder

I have tried everything. I think it might be a bug on KAG, not my end at this point.

11. cameron

cameron THD Team THD Team Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Can you provide the console log of the issue from your Logs folder?

12. robayy

robayy Catapult Fodder

I don't know if this info helps but it freezes after requesting auth token.
    The rest of the things in the logs is loading the game which it does fine. If I launch without steam, I can play offline.

13. cameron

cameron THD Team THD Team Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

It sounds like you have found the log files, is it possible for you to upload the most recent for me to look at? Perhaps you could pm it to me? (to make a pm on the forums, mouse over inbox in the top right, and click "Start a New Conversation")

14. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I was meaning to do something with that map, but i got distracted:rollseyes:.

15. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

(from Build 2019)
    Apparently not::(: just saw someone do this in TDM. Can post video if required.

16. PUNK123

I think you guys made classicwar2 worse. Atleast with the last model there was alot of stone to perhaps utilize the underground, now it is just a simple shitty watermap.

17. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Didn't I tell you :o
    Had no clue what to write, just changed it lol
    If you really want to. It's my job to change them, so don't unless you really want to.
    ????
    -There is more stone
    -There is actual underground now, instead of 99% bedrock
    -Added small islands and backdirt in water to make building easier

What are you on about
    edit: are you sure you opened the Nov16 folder instead of the Oct16 folder

18. PUNK123

-the stone is more underground/ buried to making an underground base will be 5x more difficult.
    -fine with it being dirt(actually prefer it) but i disagree with cover up the stone.
    -i hate single dirt blocks but that is also just a personal preference. I also dont really see the value because the blocks both stop any use of boats(the only legitimate justification for the map in the beginning) and people could have build their own blocks on the dirt backwall. I dont see much value in afew single blocks that will ultimately get destroyed in the first twenty minutes of the game.
    -Dont see the value in the curved size of the lake.
    I wanted to, in a way, but i dont have the effort/time/patience to do it anytime soon and the changes seem fine enough.

19. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

I've just pushed a small hotfix that addresses the issue where old not connectable any more servers would appear in the server browser.

epsilon likes this.
  20. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Let's play it a few times before judging. I don't remember turning it into a map as bad as you're saying

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016