1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG The Cursed Map Conundrum (Issues Loading a Map)

Discussion in 'Help' started by SJD360, Mar 13, 2017.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, but at this point in time I am too tired to properly focus. Over the last two days, I have been making a map for @FunATuns and his new server "Archer Heroes", which is amazing by the way. The issue is, whenever I tried loading the map after a certain point in singleplayer sandbox mode, the game would instantly crash and shut down, displaying nothing unusual within the console logs or warning of such an event.

Map Size: 320x100

At around 15% completion of the map - which went through a dreary 2 hour naming session - "End of the Line", I tested the map thoroughly with ease and no bumps in the road. The first initial field test was successful, as was the next few, then I went to bed because it was somewhat 1AM and my brain was all blerrrrgh.

[​IMG]

The next day, I continued to work on the map. I decided to make a crane, which was a bitch to make, but I got there in the end. I decided to test the map ingame to see how it panned out, and as expected, it was a resounding success; no crashes of any kind. At this point it was roughly around 23% completed.

[​IMG]

I'm certain it was after some point after making the crane, it all went wrong. I completed the 2nd plateau, dolled it up and made it look pretty. Being somewhat proud of my work I decided to test it out ingame. It did what I wish never happened, and crashed. At first I assumed it was the bushes that somehow caused it to instantly lag out and break, which was somewhat unusual, because I haven't particularly had that issue before. Especially since I've handled larger, MUCH larger maps with a significantly higher blob count, and it ran fine. But, just to be safe, I erased a large majority of the bushes, yet it proved to be useless as it still continued to crash. During this moment, it was around 48%.

I asked the wonderful @JaytleBee for advice, he said that I should check the console logs, but to no avail, no anomalies occurred and nothing seemed abnormal. He then suggested that I cut the map in half and try it then, but unfortunately this too failed. In the end, our efforts were useless.

[​IMG]

I concluded that it was an issue on my end, and decided to just simply complete the map, give it to FunATuns, then play it through on the server. Thus I tossed the issue aside and continued on the map. After several hours, I completed it, spare a few minor fixes and details. I gave the map file to FunATuns over Discord, he implemented the map into the map cycle and booted the server up. Shortly after, FunATuns informed me that the server would not run said map.

[​IMG]

FunATuns and I discussed for a while to what the issue may be. I thought "Oh, must be the bushes again", like a moron. So I decided to remove EVEN MORE bushes, which did not help. Then, FunATuns spoke of filling in the holes in the buildings and dirt walls, saying that calculating the light may be taxing, thus causing it to crash. I thought "fuckin' brilliant" and erased a sizeable amount of said holes.

[​IMG]

I erased the dotted holes within the buildings, tested it, and it failed. So I decided "screw it" and opted to erase the dirt holes too.

[​IMG]

I thought that THIS TIME IT WILL WORK. No. It wouldn't work. FunATuns proposed I remove the halls (TTH Gamemode), but I informed him I added the halls toward nearing completion, whilst the crashing occurred prior.

Knowing me, it's something insanely simple that FunATuns, JaytleBee and I completely overlooked. At this point, we're not too sure what the issue is. It can't be size, the map isn't large enough to cause issues on my behalf - besides there are very similarly sized maps in FunATuns' Archer Heroes. Back when it first started crashing, I joked that the map was cursed, now it turns out it might be true. :D

Again, I apologise if this is somehow in the wrong section. This post is subject to change, because my memory is more dreadful than @Pirate-Rob's search history, so I may be adding more stuff over time if I remember.

The original map file:
    End of the Line.png

2. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Beautiful map SJD <3
    Strange. I can't work this either, but have you checked every colour?
    I checked some of the colours, like the spawner (light blue?), back walls and mossy blocks but is it possible that you put one or two blocks as a slightly different shade that can cause it to crash? I don't see any tho.
    Good luck!
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2017 ---
    After a good hour, here are the answers:
    - works fine horizontally from the left up to 144 pixels
    - at 145 pixels from left immediately crashes
    - works fine horizontally from the right starting 146 pixels
    - works with any combination from 146 and beyond or 144 and more left
    - still crashes if you erase 145 and replace
    - still crashes if you extend the map right or up 1 pixel
    - still crashes if you remove 145 and surrounding blocks and directly piece 144 with 146 or 140 with 150 and etc.
    This is all I can do tonight. Will come up tomorrow and keep trying ;D Good luck SJD!
    btw:
    link contains proof
    http://imgur.com/a/y7G3F

join GLINT plz SJD and here's SJD_End-of-the-Line :D
    [​IMG]

SJD360 likes this.
  3. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

So somethin' messed up somehow at that exact point, really can't think of anything out of the ordinary that would've triggered such a response. Unless the map is cursed. >:o

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  4. jimmyzoudcba

Seems like it :O
    Any combination from the right or left would work, but this won't and even if I erase it still won't. Maybe try just entirely cutting out that structure?

5. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Okay, new plan:

Splitting the 320x100 map into 16 individual segments of 20x100, playing each 20x100 map out ingame, find out which segment(s) are causing the anomaly, zero in on said anomaly and erase it.

If that fails I may have to contact someone higher up the food chain for help.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Plan failed, all 16 segments loaded up perfectly fine.

6. jimmyzoudcba

I tried that, but it didn't work :?
    And lol SJD who higher in the food chain do we even have
    Like under the devs just by map making you're one of the highest if under..... Fun? Rob and Aphelion?? Radio?
    Feelsbadman.
    Also, I'm pretty sure I checked every colour on the map from 145 pixels and nope. Colour isn't the reason.

7. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Geti maybe? The almighty lord himself? Someone who knows how the game works inside and out and would know how to get rid of the issue.

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  8. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

When working on maps for Roleplay, I had a similar issue. And as far as I know, it's caused by moss blocks (and stone blocks?) being too close to the bottom map. So there you go.

Start by filling in the bottom three tiles of the map with bedrock, and the map should load.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

I'll try that, thanks. :D
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 14, 2017 ---
    screen-17-03-14-17-34-58.png
    HOLY SHIT IT WORKED
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

:heart::heart::heart:

Asu, PUNK123, BarsukEughen555 and 4 others like this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hrm, interesting about mossy stone causing these issues. I guess it's probably accessing past the edge of the map or similar, I'll see what I can do about it.

Asu and SJD360 like this.
  11. jimmyzoudcba

OHHHHHHH
    I suddenly realized the connection
    My TDM map is made fully of mossy blocks
    That's why it always just crumbles when someone hits/lands too hard/switch classes!
    !_! Unexpected fix there

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey