1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Zombie Fortress Mode 1.071

A Zombie Fortress remake

1. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

floating spikes is a common bug in kag

2. Egholm

Egholm Shipwright

I thought they were only in the mod! :eek:

3. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

It would be good to see the game mode tweaked, currently Zombies can't break through dirt no matter what they do and their aggro range is too small meaning that the Zombies tend to get stuck on the right and left sides of the maps and are no threat to the players. They also usually reach their unit limit by spawning from underground portals, meaning that they not longer spawn on the surface and the whole thing just becomes "Sandbox with buried Zombies" basically I find it to be a bit too easy and think it would be more interesting if Zombies had infinite aggro range and could chew through dirt (so we could play on super huge maps)

A wish of mine for this game mode would be for more custom map support, you can manually set the Zombie spawn location by using the color codes however if a block if placed in that locations during a game the Zombies will no longer spawn there, or at all.

Just my thoughts and wishes anyway, hope to see this updated!

4. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I agree, JackMcDaniels. There are lots of "problems" with zombie mode, leading to stale situations like you describe, and overall lack of challenge when you've mastered how to build traps properly.

Some of the issues I have with this mode:
    • Zombie portals spawn zombies within the same limited pool as spawning on the edge of the map does
    • Zombies erode the map too easily. It's bad enough that you have to dig for resources. (Custom maps could remedy this with bedrock)
    • Zombies break through stone, which is unrealistic. Combined with the erosion issue, it leaves no true safe places on the map.
    • Players spawn in the same place as the zombies, and it's hard to escape a horde there (you have to build a tunnel quickly or pray you manage to push through)
    • Zombies spawn only at night time.
    • Zombie difficulty scales badly (does it even have to scale?)
    • Some zombies are just annoying, picking you up or blowing up stuff.
    • Mechanism traps are barely scratched by zombies.
    • Mechanism blocks let coins through (Something I've learnt to abuse).
    • Saw kills does not award coins, and they sometimes break.
    • Spikes are useless, at least after a while.

I've looked at the code several times, and every time I end up scrapping the idea about modifying it, because modding KAG is such a mess (something which I've complained about before). In any case, I'm actually not quite sure how to make this mode better, but I would start with something along these lines:
    • All zombies walk (slowly), but hit/bite hard. That means skeletons and zombies only.
    • A dead zombie leaves a pile of gibs, which is a custom type of block. It clogs up your defenses and can lead to breaches if you don't clean it up.
    • Zombies can only climb over each other or a pile of gibs, and cannot jump. Don't forget to build overhangs, and keep an eye out.
    • Zombies break through wood, but not stone. Stone blocks should probably be more expensive. As you would expect, there are ways to stay (relatively) safe, but it's going to cost.
    • No mechanisms. Simply because it's too easy that way, and seriously, who had that kind of tech in the middle ages?
    • Players spawn in the middle of the map. Join your friends right away.
    • Zombies only spawn at portals, which are placed on the map edge by default. They spawn also during the day, but in fewer numbers. The horde seems endless! Never a moments peace! Surviving requires more work and more vigilance. You might require help of a friend to guard you.
    • Zombies are drawn to the middle of the map, or they smell/hear the players. They do not linger and do not attack eachother. They keep coming!
    • Destroying all portals ends the game. Portals have much more health. Requires dealing with zombies at the same time as you hack away at the portal, and it might take several rounds. The more you whack at it, the more zombies appear.
    • Zombies don't drop coins. Because buying stuff is too easy.
    • No spikes. That's right, you'll have to sweat a little if you want to rid yourself of those things.
    (And probably more things I've thought of, but can't remember at this time)

I don't think I'll ever get around to doing it. I wish someone would, but the devs abandoned this mode ages ago, and the community is almost dead mod-wise. It's a shame, because I think it would make the game much more appealing. I mean, fighting against each other is cool, but that too becomes bland after a while.

5. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

You realise this game mode is a MOD which is unsupported by the devs. I have framework for a zombie horde mode if you'd like something cleaner than this existing one. Just drop me a PM to discuss.

FuzzyBlueBaron and EhRa like this.
  6. Vermilicious

Zombie Fortress was at one point an official game mode. Or at least, that's what I've heard for a long while. Then someone turned it into a mod for the new version of KAG, but it hasn't really evolved much.
    I assume you are talking of your KOD mod. Sadly, I haven't been able to join the one server that is running this mode, so I don't know much about it. Maybe I'll take a look at it. Still, I reckon, it would take a bit of work and how KAGs scripts and configuration files are bound together frustrates the hell out of me every time I look at it. (Also, how you seemingly have to include a lot of default code even if you aren't making any changes to it.) Then there's also the matter of hosting this somewhere. A lot of effort for very little. Sigh...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. Frikman

Frikman Bison Rider

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to add custom zombies to the mod. It isn't really complicated on classic, but I've been looking throught the code of this mod and damn isn't it complicated in comparison. I'd like to add chickens to my server but I still have no clue of what I should modify :^/

8. Vermilicious

Should be fairly straightforward to add new types, but unless you can base it off of some of the existing ones with only small modifications, it's going to get a little hairy. I've looked at the code myself, and, particularly the AI, is awful.

I've written my own AI for zombies/undead. Actually, rewritten pretty much everything to do with this game mode and come up with a new one. It's not at all finished, and doesn't even work at the moment. I haven't worked on it in a while. Anyway, perhaps you can find some inspiration? https://github.com/ANybakk/kag-undeadinvasion/tree/master/Entities/Creatures/Humanoid/Undead
    Edit: Actually, the particular version I posted a link to here might run. I'm not sure. It doesn't contain the latest exotic attempts of mine, but it follows a design pattern I would no longer use.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Frikman

Frikman Bison Rider

Edit: nevermind, it wasn't that easy. Anyway, do you have an idea of how I could modify the maximum health of each class? for some reason builders have 5 hearts, knights 4 and archers 6. Makes no sense at all

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  10. Vermilicious

There's a "health" variable in the configuration files (.cfg) that seems to be multiplied by a factor of 2. I remember seing this before, but not actually sure why they did this. BTW, not actually mod-specific behavior.
    /Entities/Characters/Builder/Builder.cfg
    etc.

Don't hesitate to use the modding help forum ::):

11. Frikman

Frikman Bison Rider

Thanks dude. I managed to change it yesterday after looking at the vanilla values. I'll go to the request forum to see if I can get any help for fixing the AI, speed and jumpyness of zombies and other stuff.

12. Frontline25

Frontline25 Catapult Fodder

Damn.... Im trying to get a Server running for around 5 Days now, trying to follow Instruction and so on... But... I cant get it to work, Im keep getting stuck, that the Server does not load/Generate a map :/
    [01:55:13] Loaded team 0 'Blue Team'
    [01:55:13] Loading rules Rules/WAR/gamemode.cfg
    [01:55:13] Loading game rules from Rules/WAR/gamemode.cfg...
    [01:55:13] Initializing Game Script
    [01:55:13] ############ GAMEMODE Zombies_v1.071
    [01:55:13] Server created on 0:50301 (BUILD 1865)
    [01:55:13] Server is identified as to the API as 178.202.161.18
    [01:55:13] Checking is server modded...
    [01:55:13] Using custom files
    [01:55:13] **** This is a modded server ****
    [01:55:13] Attempting mod verification
    [01:55:13] CModVerify::readModRegFile error: file ./../Mods/Zombies_v1.071//registration.json missing
    [01:55:13] Mod ./../Mods/Zombies_v1.071/ cannot be verified because it has no registration.json file
    [01:55:13] At least one active mod has failed verification
    [01:55:13] Whitelist inactive.
    [01:55:13] Config file not found 'J:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/King Arthur's Gold/Security/blacklist.cfg'
    [01:55:13] Loading blacklist from Base/Security/blacklist.cfg
    [01:55:13] Loading blacklist failed - file missing or corrupt. A blank blacklist file will be generated for you.
    [01:55:13] Config file not found 'J:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/King Arthur's Gold/Security/ignorelist.cfg'
    [01:55:13] Loading ignorelist from Base/Security/ignorelist.cfg
    [01:55:13] Loading ignorelist failed - file missing or corrupt. A blank ignorelist file will be generated for you.
    [01:55:13] Config file not found 'J:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/King Arthur's Gold/Security/seclevs.cfg'
    [01:55:13] Loading security levels from Base/Security/seclevs.cfg
    [01:55:13] Loading default security levels
    [01:55:13] Loading game rules from ../Mods/Zombies_v1.071/Rules/Zombies_v1.071/gamemode.cfg...
    [01:55:13] GetMapPNG: No tile map
    [01:55:13] Unknown map file extension in file (extension .)

[01:55:13] MAP WAS NEVER LOADED
    [01:55:13] Not using shaders. Not adding hq2x
    [01:55:13] Restarting rules script: ../Mods/Zombies_v1.071/Rules/Zombies_v1.071/Scripts/zombies_Rules.as
    [01:55:13] GS SERVER: true
    [01:55:13] ### Setting Zombies Scrolls
    [01:55:13] Not using shaders. Not adding hq2x
    [01:55:13] Script: Exception occurred while executing 'Rules/CommonScripts/MechanismsServer.as'; Line 706 Column 4; in function: void MapPowerGrid::update(int = - 1)
    Index out of bounds

I hope someone does know what I did wrong, I cant figure it out >.>..

I did Added it in the Mapcycle from Autoconfig and in the Mod files, I added the Map to Base/Maps too... Added the Mod in the Mod list and so on...

13. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Hey, looks like the issue is here:

[01:55:13] Script: Exception occurred while executing 'Rules/CommonScripts/MechanismsServer.as'; Line 706 Column 4; in function: void MapPowerGrid::update(int = - 1)
    Index out of bounds - something to do with that index?

How to fix? I can't help you, sorry!

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

nope; issue is indeed the map failing to load
    Code:
    GetMapPNG: No tile map
    [01:55:13] Unknown map file extension in file (extension .)

[01:55:13] MAP WAS NEVER LOADED
    (that causes the index to be out of bounds when a zero-size mechanisms power array is created and then tried to be accessed, but thats beside the point)

@Frontline25 you're gonna need to look in your autostart file if its something custom and figure out what mapcycle it's trying to load - or if you're using the normal one just specify sv_mapcycle in autoconfig and point it in the right direction.

15. Frontline25

Frontline25 Catapult Fodder

@Geti Thanks for the Respond.
    hmmm
    I have this as Mapcycle (Also added it in the files too.)
    sv_gamemode = Zombies_v1.071
    sv_mapcycle = Maps/test.cfg
    sv_mapcycle_shuffle = 0
    sv_mapautocycle = 0
    Then the map config
    # Zombies Map Config File

m_width = 300 # map size if not set defaults to console variables: m_width; m_height
    m_height = 200

baseline = 55 # percent, 0 = all sky, 100 = no sky

deviation = 20 # tiles

erode_cycles = 5 # more = less rough terrain, slow gen

map_margin = 30 # tiles from the edge that are totally straight
    lerp_distance = 50 # tiles from the margin that "eases into" the generator

purturb = 0.0 # amplitude of the purturbation function - can allow formation
    # of caves, crags, and other cool things if the value is
    # high, but also results in deformation of everything
    purt_scale = 0.01 # scale of the purturbation
    purt_width = 30 # width of the purturbation area - negative equals deviation value

cave_amount = 0.6 # overall "amount" of cave - zero turns off cave generation
    cave_amount_var = 0.2 # variation in the amount - only matters for amount > 0
    cave_scale = 80.0 # scale of the caves - bigger means larger features, smaller means more noise
    cave_detail_amp = 0.8 # amount the detail layer adds over the top of the cave
    cave_distort = 1.0 # amount to distort the cave
    cave_width = 0.8 # width of area on the map that the cave spans - 1.0 = all map, 0.1 = middle 10%
    cave_lerp = 50.0 # tiles at the edge of the cave area that caves are faded out
    cave_depth = 20.0 # tiles from the surface the deep bit of the cave will target
    cave_depth_var = 40.0 # amount the cave depth may vary by

ruins_count = 60 # overall number of ruins - zero turns off ruin generation
    ruins_count_var = 10 # variation in the amount - only matters for amount > 0
    ruins_size = 18 # approximate horizontal size in tiles of each ruin
    ruins_width = 0.8 # width of area on the map that ruins can appear on - 1.0 = all map, 0.1 = middle 10%
    So I dont really know where I should look

16. Frikman

Frikman Bison Rider

If you want my opinion, just use custom maps. The test.cfg file creates some really buggy maps, and I don't really remember what I had to do to get it to work in the first place.

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Having a single map as the mapcycle isn't how things are done - the usual way it is accomplished is that you have a separate config file that lists all the maps (check the mapcycle.cfg files in CTF and TDM folder for example of this).

However, once you have that working, you still need to change the name of your map file, unless you've set up a custom loader for .cfg files (and I doubt you have). Your config file also looks like a kaggen format config file - you MUST keep the extension as .kaggen.cfg for it to be detected and loaded correctly.

18. svtsmka003

svtsmka003 Catapult Fodder

Hi guys this mod is not bad but I liked
    the generation of the map, I added
    maps from the other mode if you can
    download

Attached Files:

19. Xyionan

Xyionan Catapult Fodder

I have a question is there a way to extend the survival time?(survive for 15 days I wanna make it like say 100 days or 1000 days ect..)

20. Kildare88

Kildare88 Bison Rider

Mod is no longer working as of latest update...