1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG + KAW = ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atthetta, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

For those that haven't played the SNES "King Arthur's World" you're missing an essential, central piece of the puzzle, regarding what KAG is, where it's from, and where it could go in the future. KAG has a lot of potential, and despite the "years spent playing this game and being active on this forum", most of you are missing the point. Are you stupid? Blind??? Or maybe it's just ignorance.

KAW is/was a single-player game, a classic. Thus when KAG2 comes out, is released, a single-player mode would be very enticing and lead to more popularity and sales. A great storyline is required, to make a great game. All popular games, classics, great sales, come from great stories. KAG has the multiplayer action down very well, but not the single-player aspect.

This is something to think about, and discuss, regarding what KAG will become...

2. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but KAG isn't the sequal to KAW is it? THD neither made KAW nor bought it's IP as far as I know. So how is KAG considered a sequal?

an_obamanation and PUNK123 like this.
  3. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

Here is King Arthur's World which is more and more obvious now that very few here have played, to give you the proper background:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
  4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I believe Geti could craft some nice Single Player, but MM? no way.

5. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Deleted the off-topic, spam and flame-y posts, put @atthetta's youtube vids into a spoiler (seriously, if you have to post one than one media-link then use the damn spoilers).
    Stick to the topic, don't flame each other (do it in pms if you absolutely must) or else I'll throw around more warnings than you can imagine.

Also, @atthetta: insulting the entire forum in the first paragraph of your post will obviously get people to take you serious. If you actually want to be taken serious, that is.

tl;dr: behave, kids, if you don't I'll have to lock this thread as well.

6. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

7. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    PUNK123 likes this.
  8. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

KAG scripts are open source, and you have a whole modding API available. A single-player gamemode could be developed without any problem.
    There is no reason to have a sequel, especially to a game like KAG, in its current state. This is one of the reasons KAG 2 will not be developed until a few years, or will never be developed at all. By the way, only THD has the right to create a sequel. The community cannot do this because it doesn't own rights, and the kickstarter page idea you gave can't be started by the community, and AFIK requires a working proof of concept.

In all seriousness, the problem with the "new class" ideas you gave and generally everyone gave in this section is that they drag the original idea of KAG away. KAG has three basic classes and a strong "personality". The only category of games I've found to be successful to still look not incoherent with a ton of content are sandbox games, like Terraria. But sandbox games are way less affected by the balancing problem and that isn't the same genre as KAG's at all. Even if the learning curve of KAG is harsh (which is one of the real problems of player retention) it still is far better than what additional classes and generally more content implies. KAG sort of matches the "simple to learn, hard to master" pattern to me.

By the way, KAG is a multiplayer game, most "classics" (depending on your definition, i.e. if you mean older classic games) doesn't have multiplayer at all most of the time. That surely is a bad comparison (especially considering it's a triple-A game), but games like Battlefield have a storyline widely accepted as mediocre but because of the strong identity of the series it still will stay popular for years coming.

Flaming everyone because you know more about KAG roots than everybody, though you likely never played classic and beta doesn't help. That is, if you don't want to get burned as on every other thread you started... but I've given out the reasons on the profile post of mine you ignored. If you want people to care about your opinion, showing up as a messiah will not work.
    Edit: Anyway, yeah, I've probably spent more time than I should have on this answer. It's likely my last attempt at answering something constructive to one of your threads, also in a less ""hostile"" fashion. Try to understand why your threads have become memefests, when you will, they might stop becoming those at some point.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

wait, kag is out of beta? :^)

SirDangalang and BarsukEughen555 like this.
  10. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

Here is the proper thread for this link:

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 17, 2017 ---
    "Without any problem" except most or all of the KAG "community" holding somebody back. What a joke!

This is only half-true. The main reasons that people "do not want a sequel" are these: 1) because Atthetta would get most or all of the credit of pushing for it, 2) the single-player mode in KAG is currently non-existent, not developed, 3) KAG lost a lot of momentum and has dipped in popularity (but still has potential of course).

I'll buy the rights to KAG2 for $1.00.

I'll start a kickstarter campaign and the dozen or so real KAG fans will join me.

The knight-archer-builder core classes are fine and good for KAG1. KAG2 implies development, more complexity, finer edges, sharper graphics, a superior game. As I mentioned with the class suggestions, they can be upgrades and appeal to the veteran and skilled players more so. I also mentioned to make the secondary classes hard to obtain. Thus noobs won't really get to the secondary classes until later. For example I mentioned knight leads to pikeman class, builder to wizard, and archer to bombardier/cannoner.

There is a big market for single-player games and modes. Lacking a strong single-player setting limits KAG severely. Many people do not want nor like multiplayer. It limits sales to have just one but not the other.

I can't control reactions by the community. However this community shows little to no support or positive reception to the continuation of the game. So that signals to me that the community is cancerous, and another detrimental and negative factor to KAG, when it should be a positive factor. Devs can't really control who buys the game and becomes most enthusiastic about it though.

They become meme-fests because you and others troll my threads into the ground, get them locked, get me banned, etc.

Not my fault.

11. asger75

asger75 Haxor

can you code, can you draw, can you make an engine ground up, can you do anything required in building a game?
    talk is cheap. Nobody is holding you back, Nobody is physically holding you back from making kag2, we're just calling you stupid,
    the only way out of this is for you to prove us wrong and make your fucking bullshit kag2, or fuck off.

12. Pirate-Rob

Azz has a pretty good idea. You don't need the KAG rights to make a spiritual sequal. So what you should do is start making kag2, but call it something else. Set up a kickstarter and everything for it, prove others they're wrong.

13. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

this game has been in development for 5 years and the developers themselves have all but openly said theyre moving on from kag. Geti has openly said he is not gonna attempt to do kag2 for several years(if at all), and it isnt the community's fault that they have adjusted to reality. Not everyone can live in your magic little wonderland where content just falls out of the sky(hell we have 80+ maps in the application section just sitting there being ignored). The community disliking you over your self-righteous crusade(make kag 2, give money for kickstarter, pressure the devs) is not the same thing as being against the continuation of the game(they just all know you're full of shit). Lastly id like to point out kag had other inspirations that wasnt just kaw, so trying to just appropriate kaw into kag is wrong.

epsilon likes this.
  14. Yagger

I mean he's not wrong. You can be the ideas guy all you want but unless you can show some sort of concept or get others to join you, it's just shitposting over and over on "what ifs."

epsilon, an_obamanation, Asu and 2 others like this.
  15. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

The games are completely overlapping. It's not a coincidence. And it's obvious how few people even know about KAW.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 17, 2017 ---
    He is wrong, because dialogue is a first step. Besides, KAG has a strong foundation. I think much of the game should be preserved for the sequel. The knight-archer-builder combinations are balanced and intricate for multiplayer modes. There is a lot that should stay the same. Hence why there should be a KAG2 and not a completely new game.

16. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

gl

BarsukEughen555, Asu, Vamist and 2 others like this.
  17. Yagger

Geti himself has said that they're not anywhere close to thinking of a KAG sequel anyways. Guess you'll have time to get something sorted before he has.

Geti : "Storm is dead afaik, though you'd have to press MM for comment there as I'm not involved. New KAG is possible but wont happen in the next several years :) I've got other things I want to do with my life."

an_obamanation and Asu like this.
  18. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

If the Devs recognize that the KAG community is on-board, supportive, and actually enjoy the game (hard to determine currently with this community) then they may possibly change their tune. I don't know who they are.

19. Pirate-Rob

Then do it man, until you do it, no one here will take you seriously. So stop talking and start walking, clearly you're not gonna get support here or convince anyone.

20. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

I will get a lot of support here, despite the cancerous elements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.