1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG - Free to Play? And alternatives.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bunnie, Jun 23, 2017.

?

Thoughts?

1. F2P is a great idea; lowering the price won't work.

23.6%
  2. Either F2P or lowering the price.

40.0%
  3. F2P is a bad idea; lower price, sure, why not.

7.3%
  4. Unsure.

3.6%
  5. Let KAG die in peace.

9.1%
  6. Don't change anything about current KAG; we need KAG 2.

16.4%
  1. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Before everyone starts talking smack and saying that it won't ever happen, please read my post fully.

In this thread I want to discuss a totally "What IF" scenario - KAG being free to play. The pros and cons. Some may want or some may not want THD to ever make the game f2p or not. I trust that THD can make the right decision.

A MOBA game, Awesomenauts, went f2p a few days ago. I don't play that game so I'm not sure what caused the decision, but from what I heard many new players started playing it.

I believe that KAG didn't "die" yet (my threads were just trollings :^) - this one isn't). Yet. According to the steam charts, KAG has averagely 50 players online any given time; it's slowly getting less and less each month. Of course if there' 6-7 servers with players, the game isn't "dead" yet (although you can discuss that it's dying if you desire to do so.)

But, if KAG truly dies - maybe in 2 years, maybe earlier, maybe later - then maybe something COULD, THEORETICALLY could be done. If it reaches the state of KAG Classic, then why not.. what? save it? If making a game f2p can save it - then why not? Hear me out.

Let's say KAG does die. It has like 4 servers, 10 players playing 5-6 games of ctf weekly. That's a dead game (and dedicated 10 players). Let's say THD ,̶a̶̶̶f̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶B̶̶̶u̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶'̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶1̶0̶k̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶k̶̶̶e̶̶̶l̶̶̶s̶̶̶, decides make the game f2p. Reminder: this is a what-if scenario for DISCUSSING. So, KAG goes F2P on Steam.

What would we need to do to make players not just come - stay too?
    To be honest, I don't even know. But I'm sure that proper tutorials would be needed, maybe there's other stuff. Also, to not get people bored, possibly content updates every few months (Mechanisms is an example. New gamemode - It'd be great.) But, that's a discussion for a different thread.

Back to topic - Game becomes f2p, alright, great times (?) ahead of us. But THD still needs money. Now, what could players buy to support this great game?
    - Premium (like in Classic - why not do it all again?)
    - Microtransactions (Like the flag head pack DLC.)

Premium

Now I suggest that Premium is at a very small price. Let's say 4-5 euro, maybe lower. If you like the game, buy it. If you are happy with what you have currently, don't buy it. Simple as that. So what would be completely free, and what would be for premiums only?
    Let's talk about Classic-like stuff first. Premium playes now:
    - have gold username on scoreboard
    - have more heads (without flag head pack DLC. Like in classic, you would be stuck with the generic knight/builder/archer head if you're free.)
    - can join Gold Servers

2 first points, all great. Just cosmetic stuff.
    But what about Gold Servers? What would they have and be like? Will they have additional content?
    My suggestion is that every gamemode we currently have along with all stuff in it will stay free. Official servers and servers with custom maps will stay free. Gold servers will be:
    - servers with any mods
    - servers which have been made premium-only by its owners

Microtransactions
    The DLC we have now is a very good idea imho. It's purely cosmetic stuff and buying it supports THD. I suggest more DLC like that. They could possibly come in packs of 10 heads for each gender for like, let's say, 1$. Packs could be themed - fantasy head pack, video game head pack, etc etc.

There could be something similiar - Get your own custom head "DLC". As you know, certain players have their own custom heads (the devs, donators of big monies, people who contributed much to kag.). My suggestion is that people could get their own custom head too. They pay, let's say, 30-50 euro (? I'd pay it)
    to get a custom head. They can give the idea and Geti will make the head for them. I think that if someone wants his own custom head in a game it's an alright price.

Skins is a more controversial idea. There would be different skins for each class, like, let's say, Orc skin pack. Archers, knights and builders would be a bit bigger, also greener. Only cosmetic. They could be sold for 4-5$. The minus I see here is that it takes much longer to make class sprites than heads and may not be worth it for Geti. However, the community could submit their own sprites, and if it's liked and looks nice then it could be used by the game. If I could make pixel art i'd definitely want sprites of mine to be included in the game.

So, now, some pros and cons for everything:

game being F2P

Pros:
    Possibly more players, people to play with. It could also mean some dedicated players would join the community, make mods, nice servers, etc... Each kind of a server would be full.

Cons:
    More players also means more griefers and rule breakers. Furai would have to ban players more often. Also, people could make alts and abuse them. Not sure what could be done to prevent it.
    Before someone mentions that there will be a "toxic community full of kids", we already have it :^)

Premium features

Pros:
    People like cosmetic stuff, but not everyone. This is why modded servers being premium is important - it would give people a big reason to why they should buy premium. People would still play the free game if they don't like mods; if they want vanilla experience, they can stay free.

Cons:
    If many people don't like modded servers, for example or don't want to even try them - modded servers may be dead. The modding abilities of KAG are a huge feature of it, but some people just don't even want to try stuff they have to pay for. Something can be done to prevent it, though: Free "premium" weekends. One weekend each 1-2 months, everyone would be able to play on modded servers. It may convince some people to buy premium.

Microtransactions

It's cosmetic stuff. I see no reason why it couldn't exist. Only minus is someone needs to actually draw cosmetic stuff. As I mentioned, community could contribute to the game in such a way.

Game is doing great. What's it like?
    Anyway, let's say game is alive and doing great. Players come back, new people start playing. Let's say that KAG now averagely has ~500 players online DAILY.
    500 players online. How much is it?
    A lot.
    500 is:
    25 full CTF servers with 20 slots
    50 full TDM servers with 10 slots
    15 full CTF servers with 32 slots + 1 full CTF server with 20 slots
    You may say, "500 is unrealistic". And it may be so; even my hopes for KAG's future could be "delusional" and "unrealistic" as some would say. But it's all a what if scenario.

250 players online at every hour is still a lot.
    Heck, even 150, even 100 is. Let's say we have 110 players online. What can they fill together?
    1 offi tdm server (10)
    1 offi ctf server (20)
    1 big ctf server (32)
    The other 48 players could play for whatever mod is popular.
    Example:
    FUN ctf (24 players)
    Smash Knights/The Waste Kind/Laser Wars in a 12v12, or 2 of these servers as 6v6

noone plays tth because it's bad so i won't mention it :^)

Again, it going F2P is completely a "what if" scenario; although, i'll be honest, if THD does it I'd be in ecstasy. I just need people to play with. I play KAG for over 5 and half a year already and it brought me very much joy. I would be in pain to see it die fully and will always hope for a future ahead of it.

Geti said it's not happening "anytime soon", but if you're reading this, overlord Geti, then I'd like to know your thoughts. 2-3 years in the future isn't exactly "soon". Is it a possibility, or is it very unrealistic? If KAG dies, will anything be done? I understand that THD would want to work on other games, but if the community could be bigger it could even be able to handle itself. If KAG Classic would have 100 players and no official support, Master4523 and the dedicated guys playing it would be sure to ban rulebreakers on as many servers as possible.

Alternatives
    Also, alternatives to F2P. Let's say it's not an option at all, very unrealistic as you say.
    What can be the alternatives to get new players?
    There are many ways and I don't have so many ideas as F2P. A new, proper tutorial and a single player demo would be nice, why not?
    Making the price lower would be good too. Let's say barely any new players buy the game, but THD doesn't want to make it COMPLETELY free. THD could change the price to 1-5 euro. If someone would have spare 5 euro on steam and would want to play a fun "terraria-like multiplayer game", then eventually he'd find KAG.
    Also, monthly free weekends would be good too.

So yeah, that's it - my ideas. Also, before anyone says that "classic is free and noone plays it", we must understand a simple thing first: It's not on steam. Who knows what could it be like if they would add it to steam? It's a discussion for yet another thread - pretty sure there was one too.

Anyway, vote in the poll (it's not meming pls be dead serious) and let's discuss like gentlemen! :smug:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Magmus, ThE_HeRo, mcrifel and 10 others like this.
  2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

The lazy approach to keep it alive.
    When nobody purchases it anymore it can be considered.
    With > 200 copies sold in the past 12 hours I think we're far from that scenario.

Sytoplasma likes this.
  3. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

i would be looking forward to any thing to make kag have more players, but f2p is the easiest one indeed. people always buy games on steam sales, but i'd say that if people would buy kag at a summer sale in 3 years and find out that there's almost noone playing they'd want a refund. i don't exactly know marketing and stuff like that, but as i said - any decision made by THD to make kag have more players would make me happy.

4. Ni

Ni Battle Angel Global Moderator Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Active Forum Users

I like the idea of premium users :D
    I need to feed THD with more money of mine v.v

5. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

This makes me imagine servers thriving with players who look up to us oldfags. :eek:
    I feel like having too many paid cosmetics and custom heads would cause a lot of confusion and jealousy.

6. erik102003

erik102003 Base Burner Tester

what? Why would cosmetics cause confusion?

7. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

I mean, I like the KAG 2 option a lot as well, but F2P, a lower price and/or some more in-depth cosmetics could go a long way. I still need to buy the new head pack, will do next time I have some Steam cash.

8. FunATuns

FunATuns Builder Carry Donator

inb4 loot boxes, item gambling, knifes, and 1000$ heads.

9. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

implying 1000$ heads don't exist yet :rekt: cosmetic swords, why not ;)? but content shit like access to bomb arrows for premiums (on free servers) only will make the game bad. only cosmetic stuff or access to whole servers/gamemodes is a good idea, not parts of it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Sytoplasma likes this.
  10. erik102003

Imagine maces

11. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  12. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

Dragon Lore Boulder Skin Pack (6.99€)

13. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

KAG should be free to play only if there is already enough money to fund the development for KAG2.

franek123 likes this.
  14. asger75

asger75 Haxor

Psiklaw and FunATuns like this.
  15. erik102003

Gib golden swords, shields

PUNK123 likes this.
  16. Olevel

Olevel Shipwright

premium could also have more types of games to play why'll F2P would just have tdm and ctf

bunnie likes this.
  17. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Nearly no one plays anything else than TDM and CTF.

bunnie likes this.
  18. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

as mentioned in the hundreds of threads created by-- oh-- atthetta, what a surprise. I mean, just let KAG die in peace, if the very bold statement of KAG2 is to come by an indifferent wind, then at least people won't worry about making this KAG much more popular. It's fine as it is :rollseyes: