1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Separate Class Attacks and Actions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Shadowblitz16, Sep 1, 2017.

?

do you think this is a good idea?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. maybe

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. no

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I had an idea that I discussed with @Fuzzle that he didn't want to implement
    however I was wondering if @Geti might do it to make modding item in easier.

basically the idea is to take swords, shields, bows, grapples, knifes, pickaxe, and bags and put them into separate scripts and take the graphics for them and separate them into separate sprites.
    for example the shield of the knight now would be put into a separate script and sprite sheet and the part of the knight that was covered by the shield would be redone without it

this would allow modding in equipment upgrades much easier and would also allow people to choose what class has what equpment

for example you could have a modded archer that has a small shield and a knife

this could also allow for additional weapons like ball n chains for knights

I think this would not only be in the best interest in modders but in the lifetime of KAG as well..

PUNK123 likes this.
  2. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

if this would be an idea when the game was still in beta and not many mods were made - then yes, but not now - would fuck up too many mods and i think it's not worth it doing it now

enderzilla747, bru-jaz and PUNK123 like this.
  3. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Nice. But better keep this idea for :red::gold_bullion::gold_bullion: Kag2 :gold_bullion::gold_bullion::blue:

4. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

By no means am I a very experienced KAG modder, but from what I've seen, there's plenty of bad code, bad practices and bad organization around. The likelihood that it is going to change is nil. Partly due to the game's age, but also the dev attitude to additional work on the game, and the engine. Geti openly said he doesn't want to continue working on this engine. So, your suggestion might be a good one, but it's not going to happen, I'm afraid. What you can do, is make the changes yourself and publish it as a mod. Is it worth it? Probably not, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Short answer - this is one of those things that takes a lot of work and very careful design for nil change in the eyes of the end user and questionable gains for modders. I'm not going to do it.

Long answer - Class modding is "hard" especially for a newbie but it's one of the things that honestly doesn't benefit much code-wise from excessive modularity. The archer code is fundamentally incompatible with the other classes for example, because it handles the arms separately while aiming, and has special code to manage the grapple which depends on certain sprites being set up, and also blocks other actions. The same goes for the knight and builder stuff - there's a lot of "special case" behaviour going on that it really doesn't make sense to try to make generic.

If you want to try to build a hybrid class (or just a new class), there's going to be a lot of work involved - that's just how it is, because class behaviours and the interactions between them are complicated.

6. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Ballista Bolt Thrower

ok thankyou geti

Mods: Rainbows