1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why is there even a suggestions post area?

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by CodeRedAlert, Oct 17, 2017.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. CodeRedAlert

CodeRedAlert Arsonist Tester

Seriously, im reading people's ideas and usually the first response is, "LOL MAKE IT A MOD". Why even bother? xD

2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I get what you're saying.

In some ways, the Suggestions & Ideas section is a relic from the days when KAG was under active development by a team of coders, including MM and Geti. This has no longer been the case for upwards of one year. As a result, the remaining developer(s) need to prioritize what to add to the game.

Note also that the developers spent years developing a scripting system that would allow users to create a variety of mods for the game. This was, in part, to pass the torch of content creation to the players. They tore apart the previous system and rebuilt it specifically to open it up to us.

With these two pieces of information in mind, consider how the developer(s) would prioritize a request, from a player, to implement something that they specifically opened up for the players themselves to implement. Of course they could do it, but they would much rather spend their time implementing something that players can't do themselves (e.g. engine-side optimizations/changes).

(This isn't even taking into account that many people just don't have very good/original ideas.)

That being said, we've seen the addition of new, active members to the development team (Asu and Fuzzle), so there could be more room for such suggestions in the near future. But again, priorities exist.

In addition, you might be more likely to reach a developer with your idea on the Official Discord Server, since it's a little more personal. But do not bother them by tagging them unnecessarily. They are people, not suggestion boxes.

(Lastly, I'm moving this thread to the Forum/Wiki discussion section, since it's more a meta post than a suggestion.)

Didgedy, Biurza, Geti and 4 others like this.
  3. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

The main reason a lot of people tell a suggestion should be made into a mod is rather obvious - it's because they believe the idea cannot fit in the vanilla game properly.
    I see a few reasons for that:
    • Generally it's because the suggested content is redundant. One of the ideas I often see in mods is the spearman class, which really feels useless to me. It's basically a clone of the knight class, does the same thing, makes it harder to balance and doesn't fit any actual purpose. KAG in general has a pretty minimalist set of features IMO which is why it's so easy to make lots of ideas look useless for vanilla.
      The reason mods with a ton of content succeeds is because they change the whole philosophy of KAG. Which is why these are mods.
    • Some suggested content is not intuitive. Rules for all mechanics should be kept as simple as possible. Ideas like "the indestructible block players can't build on" adds an exception to how building works and just restricts the mechanics, they don't improve them which is why it's so controversial. Sure, that reasoning can be pushed too far, but it is not most of the time.
    • Some suggested content doesn't fit the KAG (visual or mechanics) style.
    Also, I and Fuzzle are (at least in my POV) just engine contributors, so we have a wider field of action. However, any modder that thinks an idea is worth getting into vanilla can discuss about the idea with other modders and developers on discord and propose the implementation directly on Github.
    Just my own opinion, not anyone else's.

Guitarman, kodysch, Biurza and 4 others like this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97