1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

mid-level Archer nest

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by 8x, Nov 6, 2017.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

For my latest adventures, I've been making myself some archer nests hanging on the front walls of the castles. Something like the following:

arccher_nest_2.png

This one is 4 x 4 (the inner room) but I usually make them 3 wide x 4 high. This kind of structures should be at least 3 x 3, so if you stand in the inner quarter (the orange square), water arrows and slashes can't reach you, so that's always a safe spot. And That's the reason why the entrance to it is from above the low platform level, so that slashes cannot reach you (NUMBER 3).

As most of the structures at reach, this needs constant repairs, hence you should have both builder and archer shop near, to change at will. I started to make outter walls of platforms (not in this example) and for that I needed further support than the stone provides. Here comes that square of wooden backwall above NUMBER 1. It gives support leftwards, and will never get a fire as it is in contact with nothing, like in the following image:

dllhost_2017-11-06_00-58-27.png

The nest doesn't need much more support than that, check where the base support is at NUMBER 4.

Lastly, despite you are not that able to drop spikes from such a structure, there's an entrance/exit at NUMBER 2, which I use to drop deployed mines. The doors should be as outside as possible, so the mines at hit won't damage your tower-base.

Note: if you wanna reply saying "5 bomb arrows will destroy that and a keg too", better save your time :>, we know that since 2013.

Yeti5000, Didgedy, Magmus and 4 others like this.
  2. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Pretty good. IMO key element to a good archer nest is a clear line-of-fire/kill-zone in front of base; that means - no solid overhangs and no floating bits of dirt 5 blocks from main tower. Archer nest itself is pretty solid though.