1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2409 - New Profiler, Emotes, Translations, Fixes and More!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite new Emote?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2017.
  1. Thinky

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Laughy

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Derpy

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Awkie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Snidey

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Winky

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Smoochy

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Watty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sookie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Lovey

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  11. OK Hand

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  12. Skull

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey Folks!

Quite a lot of community contribution in this one, as is becoming a pattern. This is great to see!

It's good to see this make it through to the public. Sorry for the wait - I know it has been a few weeks coming. We've had some back and forth on a few of the changes, and I've been sick on and off the past few weeks. I'm healthy again now, so fingers crossed we can continue with smaller "rolling" updates.

This build includes about 150 commits across over 120 files to the base repository and about 40 commits across over 200 files to the engine repository, so it's no small patch. The build includes contributions from Myself, MM, Furai, Asu, Fuzzle, and Diprog.

I got a lot of engine-side work done on translations, fixed a few regressions from last build and got a few miscellaneous work items done.

I also added some work-in-progress emoticons from recent discussion in discord to the sprite-sheet for use. We welcome feedback on these emoticons but they should not be treated as necessarily a permanent addition; we'll figure out which ones have a place in the game and which don't soon enough. They are only available through the config file currently, so to save you the trouble, here's a look at them - note that a few of these are just touch-ups, most are new.

[​IMG]

MM actually spent some time in the codebase, to partly address the precache issues causing crashes and other issues when swapping servers and swapping between local gamemodes and online play. There are still some ongoing glitches to look into, but it's quite an improvement over how things were before.

Fuzzle has been sitting exams but completed a refactor of the materials scripts and configuration files. This shouldn't affect mods from what I can tell, it just cleans up the code a little.

Diprog and the rest of the Russian translators have helped extend the translation support a huge amount, and provided RU translations to match. This includes menu translations, gamemode and UI translations, a few tricky edge cases with descriptions, and indicating requirements for improved support for unicode and localisation within the engine.

Asu has been very productive this month; There is a new profiler, improved map loading performance, a fix for a long-standing linux bug, more french translations and a handful of smaller things as well - check out the changelog for more info.

It's quite a "technical" addition, but the new profiler will help vanilla devs, contributors and modders diagnose and fix performance issues in their scripts and in the engine. It profiles both engine-side tasks and all script hooks, can sample at a reduced rate, and reports multiple metrics per measurement. It's also gentler on performance than the previous profiler. Scripts are in yellow, engine tasks are in grey.

[​IMG]

To turn on profiling, use /g_measureperformance 1 in the console on startup or once the game is loaded, and then /performance to dump the current performance statistics. You can clear out the existing samples with /performanceflush - perhaps if you want to measure performance around a specific event. Because of the slight performance overhead, this setting is turned off each startup, so setting it in your auto-config won't work.

Big thanks to all the contributors!

Outside of the game, our Discord Server also got verified which means we have a fancy new invite link and higher performance voice servers. We're currently hovering around 900 members, and as ever it's onwards and upwards! Thanks so much to the discord admins for their tireless efforts and to the community for rallying behind the server so well.

Enjoy the update!
    Max

Code:
    Full changelog:

Translations:

[added] (work in progress) menu translation ability
    [added] AddGlobalMessageReplacement to handle serverside messages still needing translation clientside
    [modified] significantly extended translation capability (Joint KAG dev and RU translation effort)
        - see the RU translation json for the probably-most-up-to-date strings
    [added] more RU translations (thanks Diprog + RU translation folks)
    [added] more FR translations (thanks Asu)
    [fixed] TTH TradeItem translation issues
    [added] linux dedicated server is forced to EN locale with a warning if it was something different.
        This means we can rely on translated strings from server still being in english for re-translation on client (eg descriptions).

Performance/Optimisation:

[modified] improved map loading performance (thanks Asu)
    [removed] irrlicht enums no one uses/should use anyway (thanks Asu)
    [removed] legacy map generation for smaller compiled size and fewer dependencies (thanks Asu)

Miscellaneous:

[added] material script and config refactor (thanks Fuzzle)
    [added] new profiler (thanks asu)
    [updated] cruxiat head
    [modified] better/more consistent descriptions in some challenge missions
    [modified] Similar matches are prioritized over soft matches (thanks Asu)
    [fixed] precache and scripts force reload after disconnect (thanks MM)
    [reverted] verra's change from last build (sorry Verra)
        - people are suspicious of this change currently so we should run a week or two without it and see if the suspicions hold up.
    [added] new emotes to spritesheet (can be used through config file only at this stage, treat these as unfinished and might vanish)
    [updated] new discord link (thanks fuzzle, congrats discord folks)

Linux/OSX:

[fixed] linux DLC heads and main menu background issues (thanks Asu)
    [modified] enabled SSE2 on mac and linux for performance (thanks Asu)

Modding Compatibility:

[important] map loading changes are likely to bite anyone with a custom map loader if it's based on BasePNGLoader.
        Lowest effort fix would be getting the old BasePNGLoader from github, renaming it to OldPNGLoader and including it in your mod directly.
        Better fix would be observing the changes that have been made and applying them to your own loader
            PNGLoader::handlePixel's signature is the main change - contact Asu for help in discord if you need it!
        Anyone only using customblocks.as should be unaffected though, as nothing has changed there.
    [minor] new serialisation for TradeItem in TTH
        If you use/abuse the TTH trading system this is something to be careful of
        Check the changes to TradingCommon.as if you want the details.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Varion, makmoud98, Noburu and 24 others like this.
  2. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

New kag emotes just made the game into a meme

Noburu, Yeti5000, Gurin and 6 others like this.
  3. erik102003

erik102003 Base Burner Tester

Sorry, but i hate the new Emotes So much:QQ:

4. Yeti5000

Yeti5000 Drill Rusher Mapping Moderator

:r_flex::rekt::flex:
    ......:bucket:
    .:log::log:

l3afysamz, bunnie, 8x and 1 other person like this.
  5. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

:blue::yes::no: it seems the really useful ones from classic will never show themselves again.

l3afysamz, Yeti5000, bunnie and 3 others like this.
  6. FG

FG Fran Donator

The OK HAND is the most practical I think

Biurza, Didgedy and butterscotch like this.
  7. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Most of the emotes look wonky or oblong. I dislike them.

Yeti5000, bunnie and Didgedy like this.
  8. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

If think if you see them in context with the game it might be better (blue background may enhance structure of the emotes too much)

Didgedy likes this.
  9. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

I can't wait to use upload_2017-11-21_18-3-11.png in tdm while i'm an archer using my grappling hook to hang in a place knight's can't get me. upload_2017-11-21_18-4-20.png
    A̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶t̶i̶ ̶a̶l̶i̶a̶s̶i̶n̶g̶?̶

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

My thoughts on the new emotes.... 12328042_931626133601952_1172620029_n.jpg

11. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Smoochy all the way. By the way, great work guys! ::):

Varion likes this.
  12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Not all the emots work through the config file. From 40 upwards. Also, I already fell in love with the "okay hand" emot, it has many meanings as well. Used for team communicating, for saying "oh babe a triple", and for intimidating the enemies.

13. make sock emoticon sock power.png

Yeti5000, joshua12131415 and The_Osz like this.
  14. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I'll release a short explaination on the new profiler soon, but I have to do some changes and proof reading to do due to some minor "last minute" changes on it. Geti's summary was good though.
    Be aware that, for now, the linux platform will give you the most accurate results. Results on other platforms will be at least as precise as previously, but because I didn't have test environments for mac & windows I only used greater precision timers on the linux target.

Edit: done https://forum.thd.vg/threads/new-profiler-in-build-2409.27459/#post-404554

FuzzyBlueBaron and Kazaco97 like this.
  15. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

I don't really like the revamps of the old emoticon. They're, in my opinion, way too smooth; blurry even.. ::): This emot was the same since 2011, and now it's got replaced...
    Here's a side-by-side comparison:
    blurry.png
    The one on the right is the new one, the one on the left - the old one.
    I'm alright with the new emotes - more emotes is always fun - but please, do not change the old ones. People got used to them, attached to them. I don't want to go on a Classic server in 2 years and think about these old emots and be sad how they're now too a part of the Old KAG...
    ::(:

TL;DR old emots were good, pls no change, new emots are nice because they aren't replacing anything (although they still feel different and too smooth) :)

btw. Smoochy and Lovey are the best, will spam them on my friends :3

also, i'd love to have these emotes in game: https://forum.thd.vg/resources/crazy-emots.328/ they feel much more kaggy, 8x is a great artist :D

16. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Don't know if anyone's reported it yet, but chests aren't spawning in TDM, and neither are spikes on a lot of maps.

kodysch, Asu, Yeti5000 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Pineapple

Pineapple Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. KAG Competitive League
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I've reported that issue on the official discord. I'm pretty sure it's getting fixed :)

kodysch and Yeti5000 like this.
  18. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

One of the new emotes is a redo of this emote. ::P: Derp emote from Classic is fine. The entirely new emotes are good but feel slightly out of place.

(:smug: should be added:smug:)

19. Pineapple

Pineapple Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. KAG Competitive League
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I sort of agree that :smug: should be added but the redos of the original emotes should be removed imo

20. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Just gotta say, for all my grumbling on discord Geti, the new emotes continue to grow on me. If I had to guess I'd say it's more an issue with me being a grumpy bugger who doesn’t like change than any real objections to the new emotes themselves. ::P:

(Actually, remind me some time to get around to uploading the new emotes onto the forums. One of these days... :teabag:)

Varion and FoxyLady like this.