1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2416 - Many Fixes, Improved Performance, New Emotes Can be Bound

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A small "rolling" release on last build, fixing a few regressions and a small collection of fairly long-standing minor bugs. Nothing huge, but should set us up with a more clean slate for the next build.

[​IMG]
    The hero on their way to save the princess thinking about which of these bandits to shoot first

Added:
    • Entities that are inside an inventory no longer have the option to collide, which should improve performance on maps (and modded servers) with lots of blobs lying idle in storages. We feel that this is the expected behaviour anyway, but any modders affected by this please get in touch ASAP.
    • New emotes work from the emote bindings config file, and emotes can be input there by name instead of by number (check EmotesCommon.as for the names). The emoticons have also been slightly reworked based on community feedback, though there's still a bit more work to do there! Note: they are not yet added to the emote menu because of an unresolved issue with the menu growing too large with so many emotes. We'll be looking at a few options soon.

Fixed:
    • TDM map loading issues introduced by the map loading optimisations last build - no more missing chests or spikes, sorry about that folks!
    • Unreliable crash on exceptionally small maps with minimaps turned on.
    • Forever-broken emote menu if it was left open upon nextmap. This one had been in game since at least classic days, possibly as long as the emote menu has been around. Good to see it laid to rest.
    • Map borders on "cave" TDM maps was incorrectly semi-transparent, which led to a strange seam at the top of the map. The semi-transparent border is still there for open-topped maps.

There are also a few under-the-hood networking optimisations, and we'll be investigating more soon.

Have Fun!
    Max

Full changelog:
    Code:
    [added] blobs inside an inventory skip their scripted doesCollideWithBlob checks and don't collide
    [fixed] leak in minimap code + optimised minimap update on nextmap
    [fixed] crash with small maps with the minimap on
    [fixed] broken emoticon menu on nextmap if it was open
    [added] g_forceresolution to deal with bad resolution detection (thanks asu)
    [fixed] fade area above map on "closed"/"cave" maps was incorrectly transparent
    [fixed] chests and spikes stopped loading from maps  (thanks asu)
    [added] emote names for custom bindings + new emotes "work"
    [modified] some mote emote changes based on feedback - still work to do though!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

Now to use roll eyes emote!

Geti likes this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There's issues with the tile change batching code so I'm reverting it for now and will get to the bottom of it with asu tomorrow. Sorry for the disruption!

E: fixed and tested for a game of CTF, seems like it works again!

Guitarman, Varion and Tern like this.
  4. ThePiemaster

ThePiemaster Haxor

A million thanks for the constant improvements Geti!

enderzilla747, Varion and Geti like this.
  5. Pineapple

Pineapple Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. KAG Competitive League
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Awesome!!! ::):
    Thanks for the TDM Map Fixes!!!

Varion and Geti like this.
  6. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

Thank you, you beautiful devs.

Varion likes this.
  7. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I know you probably thought about this (and though you devs always want to keep it simple input-wise...): How about clicking an icon ("Alternate") in the center of the emote wheel to alternate between the two versions. Since you dont use your click on the emote menu (and also cant attack while on it), it wouldnt generate problems.
    --Edit
    You can attack inside the emote menu, but.. you shouldnt be avaible to do so, imo

Pineapple likes this.
  8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Do it like classic (taunts), Q and swipe left = emote wheel 1 (face emotes?), swipe right = emote wheel 2 (other emotes?)

epsilon and Varion like this.
  9. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Or perhaps another emote wheel inside the existing emote wheel.

enderzilla747, Biurza, Lava and 2 others like this.
  10. Pineapple

Pineapple Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. KAG Competitive League
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Ooh, all this ideas are really good ( to do with the emote wheel ). I would like to see that game as it would make it so much easier ::):

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Biurza and Varion like this.
  11. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Wouldn't be two wheels at the same time something kinda harsh to the eye?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Yeti5000, Noburu, Magmus and 5 others like this.
  12. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

:X3:
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 29, 2017, Original Post Date: Nov 29, 2017 ---
    By the way, is this the canon lore of KAG? that's great that we know a bit more about it :)

13. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I don’t think it would be harsh to the eye. I feel like it would be more intuitive than the other suggestions.

Pineapple likes this.
  14. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

If it is, I must retcon the Red army in the campaign being Sedgwick's army. *Now it is an army of BANDITS*

Biurza likes this.
  15. Geti

Don't think about it too much, especially not with the head that I'm wearing there :wink:

I feel like a 2 wheel solution could work as long as there's enough separation between the two "layers". Will need to prototype a few things. I'm honestly more in favour of a big grid as that'd be significantly more space efficient but I understand that people like the radial menu so we'll probably have to stick with that.

epsilon and bunnie like this.
  16. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I now like the emotes since the modifications, but I still don't understand what 'raised' is meant to be used for. We've already got :huh?:

17. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

but those are mooks, not bandits.

should make a longer campaign

18. Geti

It was originally going to be a replacement, but there was too much backlash so I kept both. I kind of like the subtle difference between them.

19. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

why can you no longer pre-load before joining a server? What I mean is joining an empty server used to make joining any other non-modded server almost instant. Now there's no way to skip the "loading blobs" screen and joining all servers is slower.

bru-jaz and bunnie like this.
  20. Geti

Same reason you can no longer join sandbox and then fly online - the cache is unloaded between all games. The persistent cache system caused too many issues.

We may develop workarounds to reduce load time without introducing the previous vulnerabilities in the future, but it is not a priority.

Osmal and bunnie like this.