1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mines hide behind (almost) everything

Discussion in 'Balance' started by tru0067, Dec 6, 2017.

1. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Essentially have mines placed very far in the background so that they can be hidden behind corpses, material stacks, logs, etc. Would make mines much more mine-y (it would be much harder to see them coming). A large part of the current problem with mines is that they're incredibly easy to spot, all bushes on a map are gone after 30 seconds and after that your only good bet is to do some janky stuff so that it sits behind a tree's leaves, so having them actually possible to hide would make them much more useful. Being easier to hide might actually justify the high cost.

(I looked into actually implementing this on github (I believe it would be simple enough by adding a this.setZ(really_far_into_the_background) into the mine initialisation) but figured it's a pretty big balance change so it should probably get some air here first).

bunnie, EhRa and epsilon like this.
  2. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

I don't think mines should be any more mine-y.
    I already see mines being spammed in pub games. As a knight i myself use to buy 2 bombs and a mine as it's mostly guaranteed kill, wouldn't like to see even more mine spam ::(:
    Plus even if this gets implemented in game, i can feel lots and lots of players retexturing the mine sprite so it's easily spotable - not fair, but try and catch em.

epsilon likes this.
  3. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Coming from the Aus scene we almost never see mines, even in pub matches. When they are used they're mainly used in fringe applications such as being dropped through doors from above or being spammed in tunnels.
    re: players retexturing them. It's a good point and it is possible that players would do this, but I'd say that it really is their own fun that they're ruining.

epsilon and Biurza like this.
  4. Ferrezinhre

Ferrezinhre Haxor Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

If I can say something, actually you can hide mines or cover it manually with following things that you mentioned. It's not flawless but I can assure you that will work.

5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I'm also not a fan of this idea. Mines are used plenty in EU and US, and I don't think they need to be buffed.

It would be really tedious if you have to be wary of every single object lying on the ground. Also, as Ferre said, you can still honestly get a majority of players just by placing objects on it (and a slightly smaller number of players, just by leaving them in the open).

Tern, Ferrezinhre and Biurza like this.