1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Turn a challenges server into an official competitive server

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by mcrifel, Dec 17, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

There are 2 us challenges and 1 eu challenges server covered in cobwebs not being used. Heck there has been a bug on challenges for years that causes it to crash and no one has bothered to change 1 number to fix it.

So I and Bunnie propose we change one of those servers into a official kag competitive server. Which can be used for clanwars and captains without the community having to host a server for this.

This server will have:

- noautobalance/noscrambleteams mod
    - 20 slots (the challenge servers already have 20 slots)
    - either MLK mapcycle or a new mapcycle put together with a bunch of maps fit for competitive
    - Official server admins
    - password: "horus" The server has to be passworded to keep random people from stumbling in. horus is the most suitable password mainly because it has been the password for competitive server for ages and nearly everyone already knows it. The password should also be able to be found under the information tab in the discord server and somewhere here on forums.
    - lighter rules

An EU server would be best seeing as its the most active with clanwars and captains. Personally i'd like to see all 3 get turned into a EU, US and AUS competitive server but that is too much wishful thinking.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    kodysch, Guitarman, Cruxiat and 7 others like this.
  2. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Great idea like always joop C:. If we can't change the US challenge server into an EU comp one we could always ditch one of the EU ctf ones, 5 is too much imo.

Biurza and mcrifel like this.
  3. Cohen

Cohen Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester

Good idea!

mcrifel and Biurza like this.
  4. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Us Aussies are still waiting on our damn official modded server! 78787878

Cruxiat, PUNK123 and EhRa like this.
  5. boagboy

boagboy Drill Rusher

Dont play KAG to much anymore but i still think this is a really good idea. Finding a server for a CW is one of the hardest parts of running a clan.

6. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Is the mod used in clan clan wars most commonly CTF or TDM?

7. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

These competitive server's aren't usable without moderation and I don't think thd should host a server that a small subset of the community will use that a smaller subset will control. What if 12 players pop in and want a VoIP captains 6vs6? If others show up and you don't want to play with/against them will you feel justified in kicking/denying entry? What if a player doesn't understand the balance of captains and just hope in. Is it ok to freeze and explain in the middle of the match? Would you kick if he didn't listen? I don't like this idea at all. Community controlled things should be hosted by the community.

EhRa, Magmus and bunnie like this.
  8. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I agree, clan wars and the likes should community sided. Having an official server runs the risk of abuse of power, and as punk already explained, what would justify kicking of people who don't know how to play or can't play at the same time.

Only way I can see this working properly without arguments within the community (in terms of "we are using the server now") is to make some kind of official schedule, where teams can lay down times they want to clan war/do captains etc.

Magmus, bunnie and mcrifel like this.
  9. Magmus

Magmus Ballista Bolt Thrower Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

The schedule suggestion from @EhRa is good, why not make a system (site,forum thread) where clans and players can "rent" the server for some time(with a max), choose the pass to join ( or leave open if wanted ) and to login as admin, so in the time interval you have reserved only the players you want will join for a cw/captains, and you will get the commands to manage the server; so thd would need only to swap the passwords and the community gets responsable of the time arrangement and the server while you rented it. ::P:

I am not sure how you manage passwords in servers, if it needs a restart or something more complex maybe its a shitty idea ::(:

EhRa, Guitarman, bunnie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Honestly, i like the idea of changing Challenges servers to a "Team Challenges" you suggested before better.
    Not against this one, but i see no problem in leaving things as they are - community sided.

EhRa and Magmus like this.
Mods: Rainbows