1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[2416] Pop-up Bases

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by tru0067, Jan 21, 2018.

1. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Hi all. I'm hoping to share some of my ideas for good, quick pop-up bases. These are constructions that are fast to build, generally resource efficient and durable in their own way (I know they won't survive kegs, but they're not designed to either). These bases are intended to be used aggressively, to be used when pushing forwards, they are also intended to be manned, thus an emphasis is placed on them being easily defended, not necessarily bulky or tanky without a garrison.

Structure 1:
    base1-1.jpg base1-2.jpg base1-3.jpg base1-4.jpg base1-5.jpg
    This structure is designed solely to be strong when defended by a knight. The knight is generally safe behind the doors, but in order for an enemy to traverse the structure they must jump onto the fore-most stone block. This is a perfect opportunity for the defenders to, well, defend it. The fact that this structure can be traversed is intended as a bait, so that the defenders may pick of those that attempt to do so. The fact that it can be traversed encourages the enemies not to destroy it. Employing explosives may be seen as a "waste". Additionally, the platforms create a good area for archers, they can fire their arrows relatively low to the ground, allowing for easier hits, and drop into the door-ed area for safety. The large number of entries and exits in the structure mean it is difficult for an enemy builder to quickly and effectively block off, and also allows ample options for the defenders to leap out; it is difficult for an enemy attempting to the control the structure to cover all of the possible exits. Beyond that, the structure is easily built upon (some examples of natural progression are included), allowing the structure to easily become more durable, and requires only the base resupply of 30 stone.

Structure 2:
    base2-1.jpg base2-2.jpg base2-3.jpg
    This structure is designed not be traversible in its base form (in fact this can be exaggerated by creating an overhang with the initial top wood blocks), while still being easily defended. The lower platform area is designed primarily for archers, so that they have the perfect firing arc over any skirmishes occurring outside of the structure, while also adding an additional exit to the structure, exacerbating the difficulty in enemy builders blocking the exits. While the base structure is easily destroyed, this is quickly remedied with some natural expansion. Again the structure is easily expanded, and can be built using only the base resupply of 30 stone (if one foregoes the stone wall in the base iteration).

I would of course love to hear any critiques of these structures, ways that they could be improved or any thoughts on them.

Attached Files:

EhRa, ParaLogia, Gurin and 5 others like this.
  2. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I missed those kind of threads, they were (and are) always useful.
    Good job!
    I'd also add a platform downward faced next to the right door (to absorbe the bomb damage)

SirDangalang, Magmus and tru0067 like this.
  3. Koveltskiis

Koveltskiis Shark Slayer

Looks good!

4. TryingKAG

TryingKAG Builder Stabber

I'm pretty nooby, so a while ago I tried building archer pockets
    [​IMG]
    something I didn't learn in sandbox was that enemy knights can attack through platforms, even if it's facing them, so in this example, say the archer doesn't want to open the door, it wouldn't be able to back away enough from the platform to avoid attacks from knights right outside. I was planning on placing these stations
    [​IMG]
    short enough distance apart from each other that triple shot from one station can damage shielded enemy knight standing in a nearby station's roof blind spot