1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG F2P Release Community Prep Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duplolas, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Hey everyone. I am making this post in an effort to organize the KAG community in preparation for its F2P release.

Servers and Playerbase

I think it is very likely we will see upwards of 1,000 players on launch day. This is based off of many things.
    1. In November of 2013, KAG was bought from the Steam store by 1,294 players.
    2. In November of 2015, Brawlhalla was downloaded from Steam for free by ~10,000 players.
      • Brawlhalla was released with only 4 base characters.
      • Their marketing campaign was primarily community driven (link to dev interview). It initially consisted of Dev support on the Steam Community page and through hosting tournaments on Twitch.
      • Eventually a community subreddit was created. It has 38.4k subscribers currently and had ~5K around November of 2015 when the game "officially" launched.
    With this data in mind, I feel as though 1,000 players on F2P launch day is a good educated guess. Especially if we play our cards right.

From the way it sounds talking to people in the Discord, we may not be able to host enough servers for 1,000 players. I think it would be a good idea if all those willing to host servers speak up and let us know what you are able to contribute. That way we know exactly how many players we can handle initially and THD can make more clear and concise decisions for before and after the F2P release. Providing info such as the server location, what will be running on the server (vanilla, zombies, etc), how many players can join the server, and how many mods/admins there will be, will be very helpful.

Marketing

It has been confirmed that KAG will get a front page slot on Steam with its F2P release, but there is more that we can do besides that. As a community there are a lot of places and people we can go to to advertise the game.
    1. Streamers - Reaching out to your favorite streamer via their business e-mail could very well lead to a large audience getting a good look at KAG as they watch and even play with them.
    2. Tournament Streaming w/ Prizes - A good way to get people involved in the game and a way for players to see high skill play.
    3. Streaming on Steam - Steam now allows game devs to host an official stream that will display on their store page and in other places across the Steam storefront.
    4. Reviews on Steam - Right before the release, helpful, fresh, highly positive, and highly upvoted reviews.
    5. Forums - Posting about the game on websites like Facepunch, Neogaf, and Reddit.
      • For posts on Reddit, as a community we can plan, post, and then upvote the crap out of every thread we make together for increased viability.
    6. Discord - Posting about the game on Discord servers you are on.
    7. Reviewers - E-mailing reviewers about KAG
    If we as a community can come together, we can restore KAG to its former glory, if not make it better and stronger than it ever was! I hope this thread can serve as a starting place for us to do that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Olevel, Theodore433, Magmus and 4 others like this.
  2. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I will be hosting one server (for now).

Server: Modded CTF
    Player Count: 24
    Admins/Mod Count: 1 or more.

I'd recommend following the same format for any replies talking about server hosting just to keep things clean.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019