1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Easy on the new players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 8x, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

"Easy, easy mother******, easy..."

Just remembered this scene from True Detective, when the character played by MM (not THD's MM but Matthew McConaighey) tells his pals to take it easy and do the job fast.

https://youtu.be/s_HuFuKiq8U?t=116

With f2p already in the table, I've seen a couple of games with players just harrasing everybody just because they can. As to wether these "pnerzs" knights want KAG to become more popular or not, I can't really say but my go is that they're not really caring about every single player; for everybody else who wanted the game to have more players and to be more alive and rich, my suggestion is to take it easy on the idea of winning at all costs (I know it's hard for some of you, so it would be even more appreciated for the "gold" players who know the usual community behaviours), to help the new peeps, and not to slaughter all these guys who are struggling with the awkward movement in KAG, its online bug shenanigans and all the stuff they will have to learn to start to enjoy the game in a similar way we do.

I myself would like to see some players trying to teach the newcomers. It's good that there are some newbie friendly and training servers btw.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    NinjaCell, Noburu, miniu and 6 others like this.
  2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I'm coming back just to pubstomp some noobs.

NinjaCell, Yeti5000, Noburu and 6 others like this.
  3. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

But building traps is ok
    • You get to show them cool stuff so they can learn different ways to make traps
    • If they die it's their fault so you don't have to feel guilty about killing new players
    • Teaches the importance of builders (i keep seeing knights constantly trying to jump over things and dying when they could easily go builder and spam blocks / ladders :I)

4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Blame the developers for allowing seasoned players to literally lie about their animations or "instant" jab. The fact the dying playerbase likes this type of combat shouldn't be relevant when you want to keep new players. It also doesn't help the sinking ship to tell the few players who still play not to try too hard to win when that's probably the only thinking keeping them on the server.

As for newbie friendly servers ECT:

That crap never had any realistic success because no one good was there(so there was nothing at all interesting about the combat because you didnt see people do any cool tricks) and joining a server for "noobs" is probably not appealing(for the same exact reason why nubtys skip tutorials). Just treat the new players like bots until they git gud and everything will be fine.

Daozen, Noburu and Redshadow6 like this.
  5. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

This game doesn't lose players because of toxic players, it loses players because it can't handle having players. Yesterday, three servers crashed consecutively, displacing 20-32 people each. Every time that happens, some proportion of players decide it's just not worth the trouble and stop playing. Some proportion of those never come back. This happens about once every couple of hours until we're back to the baseline of <20 players online at any given time.

Also remember that hilarious humble bundle a year or two ago, where every new player was greeted by a game that wouldn't even launch for a month because the central server was down?

6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I remember being banned from irc for telling a new player it was because of ddos i believe. Regardless i hope f2p gives an endless stream of nubtys because no one is actually pretending like any work was done on player retention.

7. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hey fellas. Just throwing in a suggestion here. How about making one of the servers "newbie"-only, by blocking pre-f2p players? At least for a while, I mean.

8. venigator

venigator Catapult Fodder

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game.

Redshadow6 likes this.
  9. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

You'll get used to it, young one..

venigator likes this.
  10. Elf

Elf Bison Rider
    1. A Special Forces [SF#]

Oh hey, me too! :) You're not the only one.