1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[2962] pseudo-door

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by TryingKAG, Jun 7, 2019.

1. TryingKAG

TryingKAG Builder Stabber

Platforms can't stop movement parallel to them, and player hitboxes are not square
    [​IMG]
    thus, it's possible to construct "speed bumps" that diminishes the momentum of players passing through

you've probably seen this before, though not used as a main entrance cuz it slows stuff (e.g., archer trying to sprint with grappling hook) down. Say one is heading towards their destination at an 60° angle (e.g., going straight would have 0° deviation), their rate of progress would be halved (cos(60°)=1/2), and in this case the angle is nearly 90° at junctions

as a proof of concept, here's a passage that only the blue team can enter through, although anyone can use it to exit the building
    [​IMG]
    an advantage this type of gate has over doors is that nooby allies can't accidentally open them just by walking, unlike with regular doors, which, once opened, enemies can put something in to keep propped
    ik this design isn't practical, I'm just trying to show it's possible to build a team filter without using doors or trap blocks

PS: ik I've been posting lots of possibility inb4 stuff lately, but tagging it every time is annoying, and I'm too lazy to dig through old posts, so I'll just omit it from now

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Blubahub, Mazey and Basshunter like this.
  2. Basshunter

Basshunter of course i like your t-shirt Staff Alumni Donator Tester Official Server Admin

the design you showed is indeed not practical at all, though the whole idea of using platforms instead of doors is interesting and i'm sure it might be used in-game

Blubahub likes this.
  3. The top one would be neat to use for speedrun or timed parkour maps!

4. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

AFAIK, actually the player hitbox is not octogonal but is a circle. It shows like a octogon because it's attempting to draw a circle with ridiculously low precision..

Blubahub and Basshunter like this.
  5. Basshunter

Basshunter of course i like your t-shirt Staff Alumni Donator Tester Official Server Admin

are you telling me i was mistaken for past 6 years of playing kag? ::(:

6. TryingKAG

TryingKAG Builder Stabber

even so, at least the drawn octagon was 22.5° rotated from matching that bounding a stop sign
    [​IMG]
    thus the rough visualization still serves to illustrate that player hitboxes don't have flat segments facing the 4 "cardinal" directions
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 11, 2019, Original Post Date: Jun 11, 2019 ---
    speaking of which, in case anyone wants to practice with a basic example
    start with a platform to build obstacles around
    [​IMG]
    unlike steeplechase hurdles, this platform doesn't need to be cleared, so
    proceed to obstruct high jumps
    [​IMG]
    this block will push you back when you're more than a tile off the ground (I'll shorten it to atotg. Can't measure "elevation above sea level" without water, so being atotg is equivalent to having one's center be 2 tiles above grassy land), stopping your advance until you fall below that height

a platform here will hold you up if you jump more than atotg
    [​IMG]
    this example doesn't require as precise a movement to get past as the last
    cuz
    I'll mark it with parentheses
    the platform in this example has no effect on you until you're over atotg, whereas the block in the previous example begins to reduce (the distance you can stick (the rightmost point of your hitbox) into (the 1-tile gap between block and platform) without getting past the platform) as soon as you're half atotg, and by the time you're atotg you're no further right than where you started (, with the original platform blocking you)
    however, having to step back after every failed attempt may be frustrating, so I'm glad I got lucky on an early attempt

I partially retract this statement. Even after sticking the wide midsection of my hitbox into a 1-block gap between platforms, try to shift against the platform I just pushed against could push me back out. It was at least able to redirect my movement, despite my hitbox protrusion reaching beyond the dotted line the gapped platforms were projecting. Hookshot through the gap to see this more clearly
    also, perhaps not even the visualization show an octagon with 135° angles, as vertices in intermediate directions seem sharper
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 11, 2019 ---
    I'm not skilled enough to perform the trick myself, so if I fell into one of these things I saw in a post by dayleaf, I won't get out in time (gap marked with white circle)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019