1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of affairs and F2P-model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vermilicious, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hello fellas.

KAG has been living with the new F2P model for a while now. Personally, I haven't been playing much, but I've looked at the statistics and trends now and then. The amount of concurrent players (through Steam) seems to be approaching the numbers before the change. One should have expected that there would be a big boost followed by a slow decline, but it has happened kind of fast. I'm not really that surprised, because the game has the same player retention challenges it always had. It hasn't really been addressed. I could go into discussions and arguing over this, and other mistakes of the past, but that isn't my intent.

What I want to bring up, is just what thoughts people have about the state of affairs as of now, and the future. On the bright side, 58 persons are donating money through Patreon. It is however less than half the "break even" goal. What does this mean for future updates, hosting services etc.? And how are the community-driven updates really contributing (or not) to the future of KAG? What about THD - is it even alive in any sense?

(I know the Discord server is probably more lively, but I don't have any other reason to be on there nowadays, and any discussion taking place there would be lost in time.)

2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I mean, why would anyone donate for:
    • Expensive yet slow servers that could've been hosted better by Leo (or anyone).
    • Noob bounties for noob community contributions filled with bugs.
    • Horrible support as delivered by Furai.
    • An API that constantly crashes.
    • MM's kush.

bunnie likes this.
  3. Cleaf

Cleaf Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester

I play this game almost every day since 5 to 6 years, the servers never reached the amount of players that are playing today.

I travel a lot so it make me plays in different timezones, 1 year ago you had to wait for certain hours to play kag because the servers were empty.
    Today you can login at ANY TIME and play kag because there are always servers with players.

I think you guys want to attack the administration of the game, it may not be perfect yet is better than before.

Edit: i dont play thru steam and know a lot of new players that dont use steam either.

4. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

?
    [​IMG]

AFAIK The current revenue is largely enough for basic operation, bounties are problematic though.

More than what it was..?
    https://github.com/transhumandesign/kag-base/pulls?q=is:pr+is:closed
    https://gist.github.com/AsuMagic/65d9be59f039b0ce63165f9d08498139

Considering you can still play, yes?

jonipro, Potatobird and Cleaf like this.