1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Contest Official Head Contest Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Contests, Tournaments and Giveaways' started by Mazey, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Mazey
  1. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

This is the thread dedicated to the official head making contest (summer 2019). Community created heads will be judged by THD and the best ones will be used in a new community heads pack as an incentive to start (or continue!) to support the game and its (community) development.

Spriting heads is no easy task, and judging will be pretty strict - only heads that require very minimal to no modifications have a chance to be added in. We encourage anyone interested in participating, but please don't be discouraged if your head(s) doesn't get chosen.

Some more specifics:
    - Anyone may submit any amount of heads
    - Every head submitted may have a male and female variant
    - THD is allowed to make modifications to the head
    - The top 5 head creators will get Royal Guard Patreon tier for 1 year
    - All creators whose heads get into the game will get the community heads pack for free and a contribution accolade
    - There is no theme! Go crazy!

Some more details & resources for creating heads:
    - (community) KAG Palette - You must create your head using these colours. Very experienced spriters may attempt to add a custom colour, but it is ill-advised.
    upload_2019-6-14_20-40-8.png
    - Consider keeping the heads files open to see how certain colours are being used and to make drawing "kag-style" easier. (KAG/Base/Entities/Characters/Sprites, Heads.png, Heads2.png, HeadsFantasy.png)
    - Every head has 3 frames, 1:idle, 2:attacking and 3:stun. You can use the following template.
    upload_2019-6-14_20-40-16.png
    in this template frame 1 is red, frame 2 is green and frame 3 is blue. Frame 4 remains empty. Here are a couple of heads used by Patreon subscribers, they are mostly community-made and a good example of what we're looking for:
    karolloPL.png killer_bug.png Sugoi_Hands.png CantSeeMe.png Tern.png

Submitting your head:
    Simply go to this thread and post it here:
    https://forum.thd.vg/threads/head-contest-summer-2019-submissions.28145/

If you do not have access to the forums yet, simply launch KAG, and in the main menu choose "Finish Account Linking", fill in the required fields and you can log-in with your KAG username (also mentioned in the pop-up menu) and password.

Attached Files:

2. Challange accepted

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Blubahub and blackjoker77777 like this.
  3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

How are the "top 5 contributors" determined? Just kind of arbitrarily by judge(s) or is it by number of accepted heads?

Also here's a better template, if you actually use all the possible space your head will look bad in-game. This one gives you more indication how your head should be positioned + sized.

Attached Files:

Noburu and Blubahub like this.
  4. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

It will mostly be THD, but we might make use of democracy as well.

Potatobird likes this.
  5. Two questions: Will only the top 5 get their heads in the head pack and/or be the winners (how many winning slots are there)? Also, will only one of each winner's heads get in the pack..?

6. Mazey

We'll be adding as many heads as we see fit, with extra prizes for the top 5.

Blubahub likes this.
  7. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Who is thd?

8. Cleaf

Cleaf Arsonist Mapping Moderator Tester

Here you can read about THD, link.

Hope you find the website helpfull, have fun!

HaRleY likes this.
  9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

If the custom heads are being judged by thd who is thd. Are you telling me it is geti/mm or are you just chatting shit?

Redshadow6, Achillios, bunnie and 2 others like this.
  10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Noburu likes this.
  11. Mazey

Specifically Geti, but other active members on the KAG team may voice their opinion as well (except for epsilon due to his participation in the contest).

Redshadow6, Cleaf, Blubahub and 2 others like this.
  12. Mazey

The contest is to end Sunday, July 14th. Any heads must be submitted before this date to participate in the contest. Judging will start shortly after.

13. YourBoiCrub

YourBoiCrub Professional Meatbag Donator

So, quick question as I haven't tried using team colors in any of my head sprites. By using a team color on your head, does it make said colored section applicable across all teams? Meaning that where you color the sprite with a team color it is changed to the color and shades of a different team that a player may be on. I am asking this because I am slightly confused as to why this is included in the palette. I just started spriting heads on my own without direction or research when I did. On another note, could I kindly have the "mat." section in the palette picture clarified? Thanks again, and pardon me for my nubbishness.

14. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Haven't done heads in ages, but if I recall correctly, only if you use blue colors (team 0) from the palette under "Team" will you have a head that changes colors across the teams. Pixels that you've colored blue will be blue for team 0, red for team 1, green for team 2, purple for team 3 and so on.

epsilon likes this.
  15. YourBoiCrub

Sounds about right. Thanks.

Biurza likes this.
  16. Mazey

If you need something to stay blue on other teams as well, you can open heads.png (KAG/Base/Entities/Characters/Sprites/Heads.png) and look at the anime head with blue hair, it has slightly offset blue colours to prevent colour-swapping.

17. YourBoiCrub

Right. So what is the "Mat." section in the palette picture? I can't think of what it could possibly be.

18. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Again, I haven't looked into it for ages, but my guess would be: "Materials" aka resources, stone, wood, gold.

19. YourBoiCrub

Alright. Thanks a lot for your help Biurza. I was under that assumption but I wasn't sure.

Biurza likes this.
  20. Mazey

Keep in mind it's a community palette and not specifically made for creating heads (the colours obviously do not represent materials on heads), I personally only sprite heads using heads.png as a palette, because it's easier to see the context, amount of colours used, style, etc.

YourBoiCrub and Biurza like this.
Mods: Mazey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.