1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Sup

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Trumbles, Jan 19, 2020.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Alright nerds, what coding languages do I need to learn to help out around here? Gonna pursue that Game Design Lead dream of mine.

FoxyLady and InsaneMTL like this.
  2. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

angelscript

3. Ni

Ni Battle Angel Global Moderator Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Active Forum Users

Hey there!
    There’s some discord servers related to kag modding, you’ll also get help on the official kag discord.
    discord.gg/kag
    You could also dig through some old modding threads located here.

Hope I’ll see you there! Help is always highly appreciated!

Trumbles likes this.
  4. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

We already solved it in discord, but here is a summary for people in the future

KAG's engine is made in c++, its a custom engine made by mm and what not. If you want to help out there, you first need to have a some what decent history with helping out with in kag's community, or poking about with modding. Its closed source due to various issues and problems. One day it might go open source, but for now it stays how it is.

KAG uses Angelscript as a scripting layer, which most of the gameplay you see is written in. That part of KAG is open source, and can be viewed in your ``base`` folder inside KAG's install location, or just check out the KAG github. The reason it uses angelscript is because Geti said it was easier to bind/get working then something like lua. There's a manual which shows you what functions you can and cant use, however if your on windows, use KAG tools.

Personally I started with modding kag, making a crappy small dodgeball mod, and now I help out with updating KAG and doing engine fixes and doing other coding projects. So starting with modding KAG is a good place to start.

If you end up disliking Angelscript, there's other options such as learning lua with games like noita or avorion. Or just go straight into making small games in something like unity, which uses c#.

There's a semi active community in #modding inside the KAG discord, so if you ever want help just ask there.

Links
    Github:
    https://github.com/transhumandesign/kag-base

KAG tools:
    https://forum.thd.vg/resources/open-source-kag-tools.478/

Angelscript manual:
    https://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/sdk/docs/manual/index.html

Trumbles and Ni like this.
  5. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Thorough as always, Vamist. :P

Mods: Downburst, Mazey