1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hosted Games Servers, How do they work?

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Hunk, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hunk

Hunk Shopkeep Stealer

Hi all !
    I searched but didn't find anything on the forums, so I post my question there !
    Can anyone tell me how it works when you rent a server at Hosted games server (example )
    I mean, do you have to run it on your own computer or things like that ?

2. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/dedicated-server-renters.361/ has a link to the Hosted Game Servers KAG page. I suggest you look there for specific support.

You do not run it on your own computer, they run it for you (hence, "hosted games servers") in a remote server , far, far away. You control/configure the server via (i'm guessing) some sort of control panel of their own, in your web-browser. Imma let a couple of HGS users respond and then lock it.

3. Hunk

Hunk Shopkeep Stealer

Yep, Maybe I have bad writen my question.
    I already bought a server at HostedGameServers.com, He's installing, but I was wondering if someone know how it works when it's installed =/

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

I'll link to this topic guy from HGS. Hopefully he'll respond - if not then I'll answer questions in detail or you'll have to wait for some other members to respond - I know that Kiro is renting server from them.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

They run the server on their end, has nothing to do with your computer (the server) at all.

If you need anymore info or help working around the control panel let me know, Noburu helped me a lot when I was just starting it up so I'd love to pass down some help of course.

6. Hunk

Hunk Shopkeep Stealer

Yes but at the moment, the problem is HGS Themselves..
    I bought ah HGS Server yesterday and it's still "installing" and I have too a SSH key error or somthing like this.. Hope I didn't bought this in vain -_-

7. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It should take less than 5 minutes to "install" the server. Also due to people abusing SSH you have to request it on a server by server basis now (its disabled by default). Their web panel program for KAG is pretty sparse atm. It only tells you if your server is running and gives you the option to start/stop and restart it.

Whats easy, and what I do, is use a FTP program to connect to the server and download the entire thing to your computer (or dropbox in my case since I use multiple computers). Then you just change what you want locally and upload the changes. Any changes to your dedicated_autostart, dedicated_autoconfig, or the rules require a restart of the server in order to be applied. Maps and the mapcycle can be changed without restarting.

Post any issues you have and BlueLuigi or I should be able to help.

trelawney likes this.
  8. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Their German server is under a DDOS attack. My server crashed several times yesterday, last night they sent an email to inform us the server was back to normal, and today my servers didn't work at all :/

9. Noburu

Sounds to me like to already know why it wouldnt work then. Give them a bit of time to sort it out. They are really nice and helpful.

10. Hunk

Hunk Shopkeep Stealer

Noburu, is this the only way to change what you want to change in the Autoconfig ? Cause I'm not a great programmer.. I had a local Kag server running perfectly, but problem was that it began to be laggy with 6 persons.. So I decided to bought at HGS, now their problems are gone, my server is installed, and I'll probably receive the SSH autorisation soon.
    So you're saying that I have to Download a FTP Program, is this hard to understand ?

EDIT : Verry sorry for worst english, I try to explain myself in a language I learn on the internet :/

11. Noburu

No problem. Yes if you use windows you can download filezilla. Its very easy to use. You basically connect to their ftp server using the information on your HGS server panel. Then on the left will be files on your computer and on the right files for your server.

Start by making a folder somewhere and downloading the entire server. Then change what you want and upload the files you change back to the server. Restart the server if you mess around with the dedicated_autoconfig, dedicated_autostart, or the rules files.

12. integrii

integrii Shipwright

ah! I just found this server via google randomly when working on SEO for hgs. I'm glad I did.

Our DoSing is well over now. The box you were installing to was likely down which totally screwed things up. I'm really sorry about that.

You can use the WebFTP we offer to see your files without downloading anything, by the way. There is a button for it right below your FTP information.

Thank you for using us! We appreciate all our customers as we try to grow our very own game server startup :-)

BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.