1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overworld and Adventures

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SirSalami, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

What part of enslaving someone's deceased body and mind is morally good? You're holding them against their will, and who is to say they aren't aware and conscious of what is going on? That would make the zombie a prisoner in his own body, forced to murder and kill his loved ones under control of a maniacal necromancer.

Example, on Skyrim when you raise the dead, occasionally they will sound like they are in pain and beg you for death, and will even let out a thank you before turning to ashes and being released from your control. It's cruel, no matter what purpose you use it for.

2. Benedictthebald

Benedictthebald Shipwright

who says that it's not just the body and that the zombies have any mind at all. but who knows? its really varies from game to game and persons opinion but most of the time the soul is seen as leaving the body after death. Maybe you could resurrect players back and not enslave them as a necromancer too?

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Except that it isn't real :P

4. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

What if the dead want to be revived?
    how do you know that they aren't sitting there semiconscious as they rot, begging for movement?

masonmistel likes this.
  5. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I'd rather stay dead than become a walking, rotting corpse. Remember, we're not talking about reviving. We're talking about zombies.
    Would you want to be a zombie?

But I see your point, I guess sort of they are just willing to take what they can get. Either way, necromancers are most likely going to be stereotypical and evil xD I wish they would give us some of their other ideas for enemies so we have more to discuss on this matter.

6. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I will be whatever the most good seeming class is, and then become the evil overlord.

Eric, CHEF OF WAR

7. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I don't think you are going to get that far with that title. :/

8. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I will roast your castle on an open fire.

Hella likes this.
  9. masonmistel

I own no cattle. I will roast YOU on an open fire. My MOLE friends and I shall have a feast!

10. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

castle...
    I said castle...
    My units will blend your balls into a fine cold slush, then leave you in the desert for two days, and then give you the concoction to drink

11. masonmistel

Oh, it made since because you said you would be the Chef of War. My bad. And I would love that. Sounds lovely.

12. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

We better sound the drumsticks of war then.

[​IMG]

SARGRA13, Foxodi and Eric like this.
  13. masonmistel

Ready the bacon for firing!

14. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Our bacon will blot out the sun!
    I hope that we can make bacon to eat in game.

15. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Well I know I've seen vegetable sprites, and they will add animals. I saw chicken...so I imagine they will be there for a purpose and not just to pretty up Overworld.

16. Contaron

Contaron Shopkeep Stealer

I don't care if there's no pigs.
    I'm so badass i make bacon out of chickens anyway.

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Can we open a separate circlejerk about hypotheticals thread, I'd like to keep this one for discussion of vaguely relevant material. As far as communism's concerned, both of the participants seem like they're quoting whatever they've read on the internet or heard from biased relatives. Go read some actual literature on what communism is and has evolved into and then discuss it elsewhere.

Re: Mating - nope, you can do this informally and give them privelages within your society. Considering the giant number of different mating/wedding systems around the world there's no way to keep all of them open without not building an in-game immediately apparent system. You can make your spouse a ring from ore you mine from the ground and give it to them, or make a tapestry from the severed heads of your enemies if that floats your boat. No menu-driven system.

The different servers will be clearly marked as such in the server browser, and able to be filtered like in other game's browsers - a dropdown list for game-modes and game types will likely be implemented.

Re: Benign Necromancy - it's certainly going to be possible. The NPC necromancers are unlikely to play the good guy though.

Re: levelling through repeated actions - nope.
    A) That encourages grind like nothing else.
    B) That prevents skill-driven advances. A newbie would advance at the same rate as a veteren and the game would devolve into spreadsheeting.
    C) The idea of it bores me to tears.
    That kind of mechanism works well in games like dwarf fortress, where you're managing multiple units and can focus on something else while one of them grinds their stats up. We're going to go for something more like age of empires with clearly defined levels and classes.

Sorry for the harshness of some of these replies, dont derail the topic like this again.

18. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Thanks for being cool, dev guy. The newbie communism discussion was pretty short, though. I can certainly understand your reasons for not wanting that leveling system. Age of Empires is a wonderful thing for this game to draw from. :D

"Circlejerk" is a bit harsh. ;-;

19. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

How in depth is the farming/hunting going to go? (At least.. I think that was an official feature and not a speculation...)
    Like, is food going to be necessary to survive? Is it going to be there for buffs?

And how much can you tell us about the planned classes?

Also: Can I play as a bison?

20. knightl

knightl Base Burner

well they wouldn't have any skills they would be peasants who would be living under the ruling lords rules and if they don't obey then they make enemies of a big dude if they act to early then they get squashed

mating in kag you have a civilised way to do the "action" i'd just use necromancy on someone (CHICKENS!) and marry them the good old aussie way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.