1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overworld and Adventures

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SirSalami, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

That wouldn't matter. If they are skilled, they can kill whatever the king throws there way. They wouldn't have to obey his rules.

2. knightl

knightl Base Burner

so you just joined a server and theres a king with best armor and a massive castle with his vassal who would win 20 peasants with forks against the best castle in the game with a hundred defenders and all the armor and levels as well as magic users?

3. masonmistel

You have to remember, the world is huge. There would be tons of small caves/ fortifications a clan could hide in. Besides, do you really think the king himself would face them? Of course not! He would be scared to loose his precious character. Besides, it was never stated you would start off as a peasant. And, what you are saying is extremely unrealistic and will not happen. People will want there own things and large armies will not be possible.

4. Benedictthebald

Benedictthebald Shipwright

I think he did say you would start as a peasant unless you were playing on a sever which had different start options. And you think that if a clan came onto a server and started trying to take over it wouldnt annoy everyone enough to team up against them?

5. knightl

knightl Base Burner

no but if the 20 peasants which from another server who were very powerful wouldn't come into the server with a castle built for them food or skills and as such would have to grow and expand which would threaten people yet i said as soon as you join which would mean i joined a server with my friends then we killed the king and his entire army with our pitchforks
    which was a reply to someone who said it wouldn't be fun as big clans would crush everyone on servers when they join.

whats the best way to get pay or live without perma death, server the king and even if only 40 people who lives in the castle defend him he would outfit them well and then whoever didn't join at the start would risk going out to those scary peasants who are taking over the world

edit:and im sure its balanced so 20 peasants can't kill a king

6. masonmistel

I never said people wouldn't. :p Yes, people may get mad, but I never stated the clan would try to "take over the server". The server will be a vast, large place. I don't think a clan of 30 people can or will try to "take over" a server.

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE on a server isn't going to want to live under a king's rule. I don't even think 40 people will unite into one kingdom. I could be wrong, though I was reading more up and people said they wanted to be a small band of thieves and powerful necromancers. I wouldn't want to live under one king's rule when there are way more things to discover and fight.

7. Benedictthebald

Benedictthebald Shipwright

even if they didnt intend to be agressive even it might feel slightly threatening to people who've built up a community together if a sudden influx of people join a server at one time who know each other and maybe "take over" was the wrong phrase but isnt the point to become the dominent kingdom? So would you really get a clan to join a server and not try to win?
    and not all servers will be big, like the post earlier said they could be as small as 3x3 and 30 people would be able to do a lot of damage to the players in that size.
    Also is there a time limit on overworld games where they reset or will they just persist?

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

True enough, through read back over the discussion on google's cache and you'll see where I was coming from.
    Food will be used to replenish stamina, which will both drain out over time (starving) and be consumed by any intensive actions. Hunting and farming won't be as in-depth as some might like, but will likely have enough variety to function as mini-games. Taming animals is another thing we're looking into, on that note. Having bison mounts would be nice.
    Because of how that would impact deathmatch there'll likely be a lot of variables affecting how stamina functions, but we'll be using it to ensure that it's imperative that you have an opening in your fort in zombies, for example.
    The planned classes are being kept approximately under wraps, though I routinely leak thoughts about them on IRC.
    Playing as a bison will be possible through modifications and potentially through magic or alchemy.
    Smaller servers would likely be protected by a whitelist. I wish more servers would employ this policy. I've yet to test if it works with the new networking though.
    Time limits are unlikely in overworld games, though they may have an overarching objective or a countdown to armageddon available to those who want it. I think most people are going to be looking for a persistent world to explore and develop though.

Benedictthebald and Bracket like this.
  9. knightl

knightl Base Burner

you never stated but the dude i qouted to start with did and i was clearing it up

10. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Does that include the possibility of an aging system? As in years, months, seasons, etc. passing at a configurable rate alongside character aging?

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Characters are unlikely to age considering you won't get to control more than one character at a time. We'll consider adding it further down the line but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

12. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

I would like to see a random rock falls in tunnels. Mb when digging or bomb blasting. This is possible add in game? sorry if this suggested before

13. Geti

AHrEJI that may happen at some point in the future with loose soil and whatnot, we're not sure if it'd make mining too frustrating though.

14. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

U can add this feature as a server configuration to enable or disable in future. The owner of the game server - let him decide. I wanna make hardcore server in future, if this featureas w work. This is my dream for server config.

But, if this feature will be in this game mode, it would be great too.

15. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

[​IMG]
    As long as you can give it supports or something...

16. masonmistel

I quoted Benedict, not you. It was aimed towards him, not you.

Back on topic, I think an aging system would be quite nice. You could have the "elders" of the village and what not. It shouldn't affect how you play TO MUCH, or else it just wouldn't be fair.

17. knightl

knightl Base Burner

but he was talking about the same topic since he qouted your qoute about me so it was aimed towards me not him but it doesn't matter because its a dicussion

OT: if there is a aging system implanted down the road as long as its optional it would be great addition if it could be worked in

18. Contaron

Contaron Shopkeep Stealer

I wouldn't like the aging system too much.
    Here is a story about a peasant who became a necromancer... (the faces are how the peasant felt about the sentence)
    A peasant worked his butt off trying to become a necromancer.:(
    When he at last reached his goal, he died in his sleep because he was about 90.:eek:
    And the person who played him got very angry because permadeath was switched on in that server...:>:(:
    THE END:oops:
    And that is why I don't want an aging system. :D

19. masonmistel

When we say aging, we mean at a VERY slow rate. (Notice the emphasis on the word very.) It could possibly take days of play time to advance one year. (Server could turn this off altogether or adjust the time rate?)

20. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Yeah it wouldn't be like...how you think. It would take a week to advance maybe like 10 years in the game, and then that could be customizable. Also, maybe a necromancer would have a method to extend his life with dark magic. This would provide a classic Dragonball fueled goal for immortality (which works perfectly for developing stories and conflicts for power lol)
    Honestly by the time you rolled around to the old age of your character after maybe 2 or 3 months, you'll be anxious to try a different one. Different style, different build, different personality, different class and place in the world, etc.

I would want old age to affect you as it would normally. You'd be weaker and frail, so you really get that feeling like death is near. You've lived your life anyways. Saved damsels, fought necromancers, conquered evil. It'd be time you rested.

But it doesn't matter anyways. Geti said it won't likely be implemented so we should stop discussing it. We'd just get our hopes up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.