1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Pre-Build Tower.

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Demented_SCV, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

The image below is a fort I've been massaging. You may have seen it in-game. It incorporates the ideas of others and mixes them in with my own.

[​IMG]

1. Anti-Bombjumper Roof.
    The Spikes coupled with a Castle Wall block every 3rd space ensures that any Bombjumpers who do manage to get on top and live will have to jump additional times in order to get all the way to the left of the Building.​

2. Catapult Room.
    Running forward into the wall and throwing the catapult will ensure proper placement. All blocks shown will not be damaged by the Catapult at any power level. The Team Door allows one-way exit from the room for the purpose of exterior repairs or archery. You may slide down the right face without taking spike damage and land on the top of the Acavado without taking fall damage either.​

3. Shops.
    The Shops are up high and are not easily accessible to the enemy. Trap Bridges minimize enemy access in the event of unwanted entry. The Bomb Shop is centrally located to make it more difficult for an enemy Knight to buy a bomb. In the event of a collapse, the shops are destroyed preventing enemy use. This would also be a good spot to put an Outpost.​

4. Murder Holes.
    Single Team Doors facing down are hard to keep open if buried within Castle Walls. By placing Trap Bridges alongside the doors, Archers can freely move from side to side for optimal angle. The doors wills stay open and an Archer need only jump to close the door. The bridges have the added benefit of allowing movement in the corridor without contacting the doors. An Archer can also open only 1 piece of the door on the right, rather than opening the entire door and exposing himself further.​

5. Anti-Bombjumper Wall.
    Paired with point number 1, the Spikes on this wall will discourage bombjumpers. The lack of a Spike on the lower half of the Team Door is intentional. A Spike in that location would harm a teammate sliding down the wall from outside the Catapult Room.​

6. Modular Tower Bay.
    This can be built repetitively to make the tower any height. The shown height is probably the minimum that should be built. Note that the uppermost tower bay has the Team Door mounted 1 space lower to accommodate the Murder Holes. Targets from this window will need to be closer to the tower, which is an intuitive progression as one moves towards the Murder Holes.​

7. Support.
    The thick Castle Wall base and the added Castle Back Wall provide sturdy resistance to bombs and catapults. Note that the back wall does not connect to the Team Bridges of the Shops. I want the Shops to be destroyed if the castle is collapsed and abandoned, thereby prohibiting enemy use of the shops.​

8. Entry.
    There are a lot of different ways to do this entry. This is just one example.​
    a. The tree along the face of the tower is a standard component. The tree prevents easy laddering by enemy Builders.​
    b. The Acavado Trap in the front thins out the riff raff. I want my Archers shooting at good players, not shitty ones. The trap helps guarantee that friendly Archers are firing upon the threat worthy enemies. The Acavado also gives a fleeing friendly an additional second to get away to safety.​
    c. The spike pit to the left of the Acavado increases the vertical distance to the tower entrance and makes it not fun to hang out down there for enemies.​
    d. The 3rd Team Door on the right side of the tower allows a friendly to vault into the building.​

8a. Entry.
    a. As an alternative, you can do a simpler entry to save time and resources. The tree is still mandatory. Move the 3rd Team Door down into vaulting distance:​
    [​IMG]*​
    *This was just a mockup, so don't pay attention to the left side of the fort which looks...wonky and unfinished.
    b. You could also build in another Catapult Room beneath the tower.​

So there's my tower! I like it. Constructive criticism is welcome.

2. evol_nomad

evol_nomad Bison Rider

This is really good. But to build it in a real game fast you probably would need a team of builder who know what they are doing.

3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Okay a few comments on this thread:

One, you need to add the build number to the thread title when you post on this sub forum, see here

Two, the "Modular tower bay" is not well supported, you should add some more back walls, because as seen in your picture a well aimed catapult shot or two will take the whole top off.

Three, if they get through your first door at the entry, you cannot enter the tower and get above them, so I recommend adding an alternate way into your tower.

Four, If the bomb jumpers make it on top of the roof (only skilled ones will) they will probably be able to get through there because you can "slide" down the edges of those bumps and take no damage. (I recommend an air blade)

Looks like a decent tower otherwise, keep it up!

EDIT: also sadly I had a really nice wall text post, but then the browser crashed and I lost all of it, this is basically a summed up version of that.

4. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

I like it, also i would change the wall of murder holes for bridges only cause archers need aim goood and fast to the knights down. And pit needs a wall higher or enemies knight can jump and leave :3
    spikes in the modular bay too

5. nerdpride

nerdpride Shopkeep Stealer

Love it! Especially the tree, that could easily go in more forts and it stops the protective overhang that a builder can make in addition to the ladders. I like how you can use the shop area as an opposite-side archer nest, too.

I think it's possible to jump back out of the spike pit in front if you land on the center upraised block. Depth could fix that, but maybe it could be more fun with a spike on the upper right wall or an airspike somehow.

Have you tried a right-facing spike right above the catapult exit too, to make that less of a bombjump landing zone? I could see someone jumping over the spikes on top (quickly, before the catapult fires through there) without taking any damage other than falling if they could just aim at the little bald wall there (if they can do that).

I think the modular part would be fine as long as you keep some back wall going up it too. It's too hard to use your catapult to hit the area right underneath an archer nest sticking out. But I hope it doesn't collapse anyway. People would have to try it out, see if that backup plan is worth it. It might be hopeless anyway if you lose this base so close to your spawn.

And yeah, it would be trivial to use spawn resources to put trapdoors up the back into the shops. More on this: do the walls facing your spawn in the modular part serve a purpose? The enemy might use them if they capture it in one piece.

6. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

One, you need to add the build number to the thread title when you post on this sub forum, see here

Highlighting this so you don't miss it.

7. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

One issue I see with this tower is the roof. Most people who can bomb jump that high, know how to avoid damage from spikes. If they land on top of the catapult room, they can break the door and wreak havoc from there and can take the catapult away if they wish. To prevent that I'd use some auto spikes on the roof.

8. Demented_SCV

I mistakenly left it out. Editing the post does not allow me to add the build number.

9. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I quite like bomb jumping, so I'm going to walk you through my thought process on this;

Hehe, eat bomb cata man! Oh crap, spikes! Luckily, there's raised stone so if I land on the edge, I can slowly shimmy up to avoid damage. Or I can use another bomb to escape. Or I can throw a bomb into the roof spike pit, wait for it explode, then throw my last one over the last remaining floor tile, and claim this tower as my own.

I need only hold it long enough (which should be easy considering the stairs up will give me a slashing momentum bonus) for my own team to join me.

It's really very good, but I'd make it tall enough (at least 30) so that no bomb or superman jumpers can even get a purchase. The moment one of us does, the slow process of destruction begins. The trick is to leave no ledge at all and have a perfectly smooth wall.

The only issue with that is build time.

Rayne likes this.
  10. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Wyeth will probably edit it soon.

Wyeth likes this.
  11. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

I only have 1 comment and 1 problem on this.

My comment: Perfect

My problem: Cannot build without random noob tinker with any building you're building the instance you place a stone block... true story. (then afterward whatever u were building became something else that isnt part of your design or worst)

btw I love the catapult room, do u mind if I happen to try incorporate the design in my trap design (as option for customization)?

12. Demented_SCV

Glad you find it useful!

Exceptionally true statement. Someone always "helps" me build the tower.

I posted it for use! Btw, that room design is an adaptation of the development by ComboBreaker and Acavado. There's was underground as opposed to above ground. With enough time and resources, you could do both!

[​IMG]

You would have to get lucky though to find a good tree location without bedrock below. You could always abandon having the tree in favor of dual Catapults.

Also note that this is updated to Build 265...Wouldn't want trigger happy Mods or Rule Nazis coming after me ;-)

Beef likes this.
  13. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Threads are labeled with build numbers so they can be sorted easily, for instance the Bunker thread has had a lot of activity, and as a concept still is viable in build 265, yet the build number doesn't change because it was "introduced" in build 203.

So I wouldn't worry about the build number! =P

The build numbers are, to quote Wyeth:

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Turn the data room into a shark with extra heights I've and a bomb I
    Long platform and it is perfection, as it is it is already amazing though, going to test it out some

15. chrabeusz

chrabeusz Bison Rider

Dig a pit under the ground catapult nest. It will be much harder to destroy with a bomb.