1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New build discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

As a side note: I'd rather more like to see a new sprite when the bow is fully charged, and the same to the catapult. I don't like this power-up bar, I still think that the skills are the way to go.

@Vania: Well, I like it, much nicer to pick out those newb builders who think that they're safe from everything. Of course it's never fun to die to it, but this is war and I don't find that as a big problem.

Though I hate to die to a random arrow which flied from, like, 4 screens far but it was fully charged so instakill. Perhaps reduce the damage into one heart by one arrow when it has gone for one screen?

2. miaow

miaow Guest

This is what I was saying, and someone was saying that was how it's meant to be.

Drawbridges can be a hassle to both teams. A blue falls in a red trap. Loses 1 heart due to spikes, clears the rest of the spikes and digs to glory. The reds can't get to him easily. Although I did see a good idea to have some doors in the drawbridge.

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

What builders need to do with big traps, is to set two layers of drawbridges with spikes on the bottom one, and spikes to the actual bottom.

EDIT: Those who have problems with HUD; set the game fullscreen and it'll be fixed.

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fullscreen has never worked right on my machine, so that wasn't an option.
    The fix Furai gave me works much better.

5. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

I too experience the out of place cursor bug (at least I assume that it's a bug). Simply switching to fullscreen isn't a reasonable fix of the problem. I like to play games in their natural resolution, and I don't enjoy my game taking up a full screen, as I tend to frequent IRCs and listen to music whilst playing.

I agree with revamping the combat system. When I play as a knight, I avoid knight-to-knight combat most of the time because I know how silly it is. As a knight, I've had most of my fun using bombs or defending against an archer; not using my sword.

Something I can suggest for the knight (also as a response to a previous suggestion of giving knights extra sword range) is;

-Allowing the knight to swing his sword more often, but perhaps have a 'cooldown' period after x amount of swings, so that they can't just swipe like a sped.

-Giving the knight a 'lunge' ability, somewhat like the sword swing in halo 3/reach. If the left mouse button was held down, the knight would move slower, and his lunge would charge. Once released, the knight jabs his sword, lurching forward about 4 blocks or so depending on how long the lmb was held.

6. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

1-shot kills are pretty lame when you can't see where it came from. I've been killed a number of times where it seemed like nothing hit me and it felt like a bug, but maybe it was an arrow? Maybe say who killed you and what class they are?

I don't find knight combat particularly broken actually. When I'm able to take down 3-4 lesser knights in fight, I'd say there's still a good enough skill element. Taking down archers is another story. A knight in close combat can pretty much only take down a newbie archer, or a cornered skilled archer.

7. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Archer: I will certainly make off-screen arrows not kill in 1 hit

Knight: I'm gonna make a test build with combat how Geti described it, we'll see

Builder: I don't see any good ideas about making him better.

How does requiring a builder to be stationary prevent covering the entrance to the tunnel?
    Also there is a million issues (most of them abuse) that would happen if the builder could build in a larger area.

One idea I have:
    is to make tunnels require support. If not they collapse. This would require you to bring wood with you and place pillars every 5 or so blocks.

----

As for matches lasting longer than 40 minutes. I can see that this might be an issue but on the other hand I think it is amazing.
    You should look at it from a different perspective. I have always dreamed of making a real war game, and this is as close as it gets.
    When you build a giant castle you want to test it. That is the whole satisfaction you get. Under 40 minutes you can't test a giant castle so quickly, most game elements won't happen under 40 minutes in KAG. You need a long 3 hour play to enjoy everything. Playing for so long makes me most satisfied. A long war where you battle over a piece of terrain for so long is awesome. That's why I am trying to balance the game and introduce things like warmup period to actually lengthen the game. You need to stop thinking about this as another deathmatch multiplayer game where a match lasts 10 minutes and the only purpose is to score. KAG is not tennis. KAG is WAR.

8. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

Collapsing tunnels would be awesome. Also, just in case you missed it:

Essentially, if the player has no (permitted) path to a completely empty tile, ie. sky, he would start running out of air.
    Background dirt removal would have to be rectified before this, though.

9. Joe

Joe Guest

War indeed. Today I played a match that lasted for two hours. Anyway, I think I've played this far long enough to start giving input.

I disagree with the tunneling being an issue. There's no need to waste men on following the enemy through the tunnel from their side. They will eventually make it to your base, no matter what, in which case you can block up the tunnel from your side with stone. On top of that, behind your base should be a spike pit with a drawbridge leading to your resources. I think it's stupid to complain that people are tunneling up; a team that can't defend on more than one front is a weak team and deserves to lose. I find it almost trivial to defend against rear invasion.

Concerning build 80, the matches are at least twice as long. It is intense and takes a lot of endurance to fight for so long, but I like that this game is becoming a different experience than other games. The archer/knight relationship I feel is pretty solid, if knights get any stronger then a team wouldn't be able to hold it's base for long with an enemy outpost right in front. The game I played featured a crucial battle at the beginning where this exact scenario happened. It was me and 3 other archers, and even with our volleys of arrows there were still knights getting through, so I think it's pretty balanced. The only thing that I don't like is how archers can't jump with a fully drawn bow, because say if you want to dodge an enemy archer's arrow, you have to fire yours before you jump, and if you're in a position where you can't get a hit... it gets annoying to fire and then pick up the arrow. Instead, I think that archers should be able to jump when fully drawn, BUT the bow timer restarts. That way, if you must get out of a tight spot you can, but are penalized in the process.

Knight to Knight combat is definitely poor, because of this I only ever play knight when I want to bomb an area. I don't have a clear idea for the specifics but there should definitely be recoiling and such. I disagree with enemies stopping your movement, one because if we're fighting and I dodge your attack, I am free to move past you as I please. The other reason is if say an archer or builder is cornered, then that would be a massacre, there should be a chance of escape. If the enemy can't kill me, then it's his lack of skill, not bad luck I feel.

10. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

We're not complaining about people tunneling up, that's fine if someone does that, i'll stop them, but when it spans the entire map and you don't notice it because its so far underground... and it WILL go to your main base.

A base that is no longer being defended because outposts have been built all the way past your own base and everyone is spawning there instead. Sure, it's trivial defending your base when you're actually there, but believe me you really do need to hunt these tunnelers otherwise they WILL get past and NO-ONE will notice them/be there to defend the flag. My teammates are often completely oblivious of what's going on. It has happened to me a lot. I kept saying to my teammates when he caught the flag "See this is why I asked for help killing that builder because now a whole shitstorm of enemies are coming through this tunnel and he has the flag and is long gone."

The only sure-fire way to counter this is to have someone on guard duty at the main base at all times... which is pathetic. If that's what we have to resort to.

Let's presume also that you do in fact notice the builder, in fact a lot of people on your team do, and decide to ignore him. Most cases i've seen with this is later on, when you've blocked that tunnel leading to your base up with stone is that why did you even let them build two tunnels? Now they will attack you from two pathways instead of one. So why did you ignore the builder? It made a lot of difference in the long run whether you killed him at your base or not.

11. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

Have you actually played knight?

12. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

I think every 10 or 15 blocks would be better for tunnels. Logically it'd have to be more than buildings since there's already minor support for them (the background tiles), and it just makes it less of a hassle.

13. PainPopsicle

PainPopsicle Guest

What about fixing the new exploit in the wild? Every server is a rock-spawn-from base fest.

I dont know exactly how is made, but the result is the base with only one layer of bedrock beneath it, and when a builder tries to build a ladder in base a hell of rocks spawns killing it and damaging everything arround. Of course, FREE WOOD from base makes it worse.

14. Neat

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about pain, could you try and explain it more clearly?

15. PainPopsicle

PainPopsicle Guest

I'll try to explain better:

Step 1: Mine the sorroundings of your base.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Put some fancy spikes directly below the base like this image.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Whoops? What happened? At the placement of the fourth spike, the second row of bedrock explodes, generating debris and usually killing you.

[​IMG]

Step 4: Jump to your base again and try to build some ladders.

[​IMG]

Step 5: Proffit????

[​IMG]

This is a really silly thing that is going on in the servers for all day. This game doesn't need more changes to classes, this game need ANTI GRIEFING SHIT.

16. Neat

Wow, that's crazy.. never seen that bug before. Though it is pretty funny still.

17. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

I love this game

18. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

That's the reason for this suggestion.

That's a very nice solution for this suggestion. I've added it to the Google Moderator page.

Hm...that's an interesting idea. But how would a collapsed tunnel look like? So it's again full of dirt and rock blocks? And would it still be distinguishable from all the other dirt/rocks around it? So would you still see that there was a tunnel once?

And you just introduced that exploit to all the forumers who didn't know about it. Good job. :| Would have been better if you have mailed that issue to MM...

19. Vania

Vania Guest

MM said:
    "One idea I have:
    is to make tunnels require support. If not they collapse. This would require you to bring wood with you and place pillars every 5 or so blocks."

Yes please! Is that possible? I thought you said it would be too CPU intensive.

If it doesnt work and you're looking for a cheaper solution here's one:

- 'Dirt background blocks' that are directly above 'dirt blocks'(or rock) turn into 'dirt blocks' after a while (5 minutes?). Following the 3 stages of dirt damage.

This way tunnels that dont have a floor, or a background wall "supporting them" slowly fill up with dirt again.
    So no more cheap tunneling and the map doesnt get so messed up because it "regenerates itself".

Hmm, this would work better with a desert theme... haha.

20. little_Peasent

little_Peasent Shark Slayer

If I see a builder digging underground to the base I try getting into that tunnel as a knight or archer and try to kill him or provoke him to build defenses.. if he builds some stone walls, I switch back as a builder and just stuff the whole thing with stones so its kinda a one-way for him :)

So hm. I guess its not soo overpowered afterall?