1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[RCTF] Facing Forts

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Contrary, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

[​IMG]

Another no-novelty, very deliberately layed out map. I decided to do something different/lazy and make a more or less mirrored map.

[​IMG]

WARNING: Not suitable for RDM

BlueLuigi, Rayne and TooManyCats like this.
  2. Baron_Norab

Baron_Norab KAG Guard Tester

It looks like it'll be fun. How large is it? Just out of curiosity.

3. 132x53 (just check size of the image...)

4. Baron_Norab

Derp on my part, I guess. ;)

5. Contrary

Wow seriously is that all you guys got for discussion, ok lets kick it up a notch.

[​IMG]

So the idea was to make a mirrored fort map similar to like Facing Worlds a la Unreal Tournament or 2Fort of Team Fortress fame (though it originated in CS I believe). Hence the name. However I didn't want it to be a stalemate map like a lot of opposing defenses maps.

Lettered are places I believe to be key points of interest

D -> C -> B offers a strongish attacking path. Technically speaking the rush distance to C is shorter for the defender, but to get there you have to exit your fort and those are really vulnerable to opening bombs and generally you will probably get mixed up in combat. Maybe I should get rid of the F->C Ladder and make it so you can't jump from the ledge to C.

DCB leads to A which I intended to be an important point in capping the flag. The player can hop off A and slide down the ladders into the flag room. There is no way up to the AB roof as to make it harder to defend. However I think this makes B to easy to camp- this is why I don't recommend playing this on RDM, only RCTF.

The FHC line I imagine will probably be a seriously high traffic area with all the intersecting paths. I tried to limit the amount of positions with height advantage over these positions as not create cheap spots to sit in. D does overlook F and I imagine with how it is the start of the important DCB path and how it has height over the bridge roof it may be the strongest power position on the map. Partially countered by the paths to C but that just diffuses it into two close power positions.

C is also more powerful for the fact that you can quickly access all three topside entrances to the fort, and it isn't too far to H and the H -> G path. into the fort. I had considered making the C tower easier to collapse to counter it's power, but defenders will probably collapse it ASAP and attacking the fort would become much harder. Too powerful?

The gold at G makes for a notch ladder if the normal ladder gets cut down. But anyways I doubt G would be a very powerful attacking path, more of an escape route.

E I'm not too happy with, but I didn't know what else to put there.

The area of the roof bridge to the right of D might be too powerful. Same with the area between H and the bridge support. D has a height advantage over both topside paths, though I'm not too considered with that as you can scoot under the bridge roof pretty easy with some dancing around and fake outs.

6. Baron_Norab

You could try switching the block positions around on E, like this:

baddrawingskeelz.png

Which give the attackers a couple more routes to and from the flag, and the defenders can get to the area below B a bit faster.

7. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Why isn't this suitable for RDM? o.O

TooManyCats likes this.
  8. Contrary

Well primarily it's way too easy to camp on the roof and also it's a map with a lot of paths, meaning it's really easy to run circuits and evade the enemy forever, or at least for an annoyingly long time.

Also, I structured it with RCTF specifically in mind. Notice the protected flag, how it can't be directly accessed by bomb jump so easily. RCTF traffic patterns were kept in mind as well; the roof is there primarily as a key position when attacking the flag. In RDM when assaulting the enemy flag is not an issue it is solely an annoying camping spot. In general the whole ABCD path is way too easy to hold- this is intentional to add a feeling of having a base and having a clear distinction between offense and defense, but in RDM it's simply annoying if someone decides to play like a bitch. There needs to be the flag in order to force a camper to comprimise his/her strong position or risk losing the game.

Noburu likes this.
  9. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Many RDM maps can be kited and/or camped. I'm gonna give this a go.

Contrary likes this.
  10. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Nice, we definitely need more well thought out Contrary maps. Adding this to my server tomorrow when I get the time :D

BlueLuigi and Contrary like this.
  11. Semi

Semi Everypony Donator

Clean and easy mhh look good =D