1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Tournament Interest Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueLuigi, Jan 31, 2012.

?

Would you be interested?

1. Yes

62.1%
  2. Yes, only if done fast

17.2%
  3. Yes, only if done soon

10.3%
  4. No

10.3%
  1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Right. "With some minor restrictions", a minimum number of games being one of them. Having a limit on how many times you can replay someone in a league might be another, in case some butthurt noob starts feeding or some scumbags start boosting. I like league format because it would be very casual; you wouldn't have problems with people getting bored and leaving as you would with round robin or knockout tourney formats because it can continue without them no problem.

Knockout has that hardcore factor, but with how random KAG can be I can see it causing a lot of butthurt, more than league or round robin where even if you lose a few games you can keep playing.

If someone decides to host a tournament with set matches, I really recommend that they use WhenIsGood (credit to Trelawney for posting about it).

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Ah that looks like a great way to get people on time.

Something else I wanted to mention, would be nice to get feedback from everyone in the current/recently deceased tourney, is would they care to try and finish it up as we can, and those who miss their deadlines simply drop? AKA speed it the fuck up and sloppily perhaps, but finish it.

Also, how about a very small tourney (maybe 8 teams with that pattern suggested of 3 people 2 backups) on a few weekends later in February (last 2 weeks of February) to get an idea of the fluidity of this entire thing.

(Unless someone is going to plan a good 1v1 or 2v2 tourney soon in which case I'll leave that open for them. I mean of course there is the Aha tourney 1v1 going on soon, but to be honest I've seen no movement on that at all, I did my first match, a few others [not many] did as well, and then that was that)

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Anyone interested in joining a little test over this weekend and next weekend check this out:
    http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/46kakrri2n
    Goal is to get 8 teams of 3 people each (they can have reserve if they please), sign up as a team name and then just post your team name and people in here, for scheduling please use the tool Contrary posted at the top of this page, should make it much easier overall. Later tonight I'll see if I close off my server and provide it for use for this.

(Starting your matches this weekend isn't necessary, I expect fully not to even get 8 people by this weekend and end up starting it next weekend)

4. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Double elimination <3

5. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

It is funny, but now I need the most important, a team xD

6. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Why?

Poll Results: Would you be interested?

7. keane

keane Horde Gibber

This sounds pretty sweet, I'd really like to see something like this going on.

8. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

I voted No cause i didnĀ“t want to wait half year for play a tournament, change it for only if done soon

9. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah here's my input, since I tried to organize the last one:
    • I think doing regional tournaments would eliminate most ping discrepancies, and talking to Stevedog (from Australia) He's said there's a sizable player base for Australians and South Koreans -- so we might be able to separate tournaments without alienating a ton of people.
    • Next: I would ask that any entrants get a good idea of what their ping on servers is, so we could easily match pings (this is assuming that we do a global tournament, not a regional one). We would also need to pair this with WhenIsGood to get a gist of who will be facing who and what weeks or days to hold the tournaments.
    • For efforts towards balance of teams and lives, spawn items, maps, etc -- I'd say we need a heavy trial and error period, to create and test maps specifically for the tournament, and establish good guidelines for arrows or bombs and so forth.
    • Contrary's concept of a league would be terrific for getting people to be more punctual, and I think it'd allow us to streamline the process a bit more (e.g. It'd become common place to meet in a large IRC channel, then set up a game right there, which would allow for things like tournament games to run much smoother).
    • However, with that being noted, I still enjoy tournaments and I think we should strive towards them - that being said, a Swiss system will probably be the most acceptable. Though, (and I could be totally wrong about this, I need to ask Stevedog, heh) but I don't think we power-matched teams that often, and in addition, we might want to do a process of seeding the allow teams a much fairer chance (especially once we get to doing any form of elimination rounds).
    Ultimately, I believe the most intelligent this would be to do a league, per Contrary, but constantly work towards new tournaments, as well as work on them; Seeing what fits and what is efficient for the community.

Valkyrie, Stevedog and Contrary like this.
  10. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Or we can go old school boxer match style and have random matches to advance in rank. The undefeated teams can all duke it out and we can have an informal ranking system based upon # wins, # losses, # draws, and who you defeat. They can be reset per four month season or something. The undefeated champion can get posted on the wiki and be immortalized or something.