1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Improve FPS ?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Pilou, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Pilou

Pilou Shopkeep Stealer

Hi everyone,
    I play KAG very long time, but with an antiquity as computer, the fluidity of the game is bad.
    I use the software Gboost that significantly improves the fluidity, but it is not enough.
    Do you know a radical way to improve it?

My config:
    RAM : 2Go
    Processor : Intel(R) Atom(Tm) CPU N455 1,66 GHZ

xxpabloxx likes this.
  2. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

The bad fluidity (yeah, under of 60fps = horrible "fluidity") of the game cannot be caused by your computer but by the fps limit (30) made by the devs (Geti I think).
    I remember when there wasn't fps limit, damn, f*... great times.

3. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

Hmm. Have you tried ending processes that arent needed. When I do that it runs pretty well and i only have 737mo of ram.(upgrading to around 1.5go soon)

4. Pilou

Pilou Shopkeep Stealer

• Double Post. Please use the edit button instead!
    Yeah I remember when there wasn't the FPS limit ( I don't understand what it's used ...).
    But even with this limit, my fps does not reach 30.
    Many people are in my case, with a small configuration, so it would be cool to find something radical !

Yea I close all my processes, but it is not enough...

5. EdgeWing

EdgeWing Shopkeep Stealer

The FPS is fine, it maybe your CPU Usage

6. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Sorry to repeat myself from the other thread, but the human eye cannot sense anything above 60fps, anything above it is pretty much a waste of processing power and electricity...

7. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

It is the most interesting post on this forum for me. I have FPS drop to 20-29 on servers with 30+ players. My laptop is not very good but it is not bad, I think it is standard: AMD Turion (tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM (only used 1/4 of the memory RAM), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series. The game with less than 30 players goes perfectly, but with more I have big FPS drop so I cant join servers with much players (how I posted in other time). I havent other procces than the game on the task manager. The CPU usage normally is between 1%-3% if i am not using programs but if i play KAG suddenly raises to 27%-33%

Would be nice Devs fix it, I think a lot players have this issue and the game will be more enjoyable and able to be played on big servers.

It is strange but other 3D games run nice on full graphics.

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

but FPS is stagnant at 31 not 60., not sure why he would want over 60 but I believe what he means is anything under 60 sucks, and exactly 60 is awesome (I feel the same way mostly).

I know that the option to be permanently at 31FPS is in the autoconfig, but I'm pretty sure that like cc_valign for some reason it is autotoggled to a certain setting every time and will NOT let you change it no matter what, despite changing files or any of that jazz. I have also noticed that it is constantly stuck on 31FPS for quite a few builds now (since 228~)

DUZ likes this.
  9. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah I have a bit of a problem with my girlfriend's laptop underperforming for it's spec too, not really to the extent that it struggles with kag but it's technically better then my home PC and doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly overall. There have been a couple of times when kag doesn't seem to be running well but it's definitely just been lag, joined an unpopulated server the other day and couldn't believe how smooth it was.

@ Luigi, I know it's 30, just mentioned it cos in the other thread duz seemed to think he noticed a difference when some game or other wasn't working at 100 fps or over or something like that. On single player I personally think it's more then smooth enough, but perhaps it's just that hint of jerkiness that you might expect given the 8 bit style.

10. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

Oh. That might be a factor. Do you play on highly populated servers. I can play on a full Action unlimited server (24 slots) with no problem but it seems anything over 30 gives me a little frame drop.

11. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I have never had any FPS drop on my laptop. Can't even play on my little sister's netbook, though.

12. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Try changing global v_bpp = 32 to global v_bpp = 16 and turn off the minimap by setting lobal v_showminimap to 0. You can still pull up the map with M if you want to see it. It greatly improved the game on my crappy laptop I use at work and it also fixed some graphical glitches I was getting.

EDIT: Those are found in your KAG folder under Base/Scripts/autoconfig.cfg

13. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Wow this is funny because he wants 60fps and I can't even get 10fps 20120204131308.png

Pilou and Rayne like this.
  14. EdgeWing

EdgeWing Shopkeep Stealer

Lol ^_^

But i can change it and it works also FPS Lag is not a problem for me so idk

But if you need help i recommend using Google, There was another website but it's lost in my bookmarks i'll see if i can find it

15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I thought alot of games only had a refresh rate of a few fps in the menu, after all you don't really need it to have a high refresh rate if it's static. Sucks if that's what you get in game too though.

16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

THE REASON WHY THE GAME'S RENDER FPS IS CAPPED TO 30:
    The game is locked to 30 rendered frames per second because the game update has been capped to 30 updates per second forever as this allows more complex physics calculations on older computers to complete in real time. The game uses a variable step below this which can cause weirdness over the internet using the networking code that we're currently using, which is why we don't use a variable step all the time and save this kind of hassle.
    Any changes you've "noticed" have been purely because of the change in us syncronising render updates with game updates - meaning the game doesn't render the same thing more than once, which again helps performance on old machines (rather than maxing your GPU rendering pointless frames and making the CPU have to wait for it to complete drawing in some cases, it gives both of them a break once a frame has been computed and rendered) and doesn't harm the simulation in any way on more powerful machines. In other words, any perceived change in fluidity is imaginary, because the higher number of drawn frames didn't ever represent a higher number of actual changes in game state -> regardless of if it was rendered at 200FPS, you were still watching a 30FPS animation.
    I can give you a build using the old render (de)syncing code at some point if you like but it's utterly pointless. The game has always updated at 30 ticks per second and most likely always will be. With some tests of how it performs with the newer networking code we could potentially link it to a some ticks per second variable so you could actually have a more fluidly updated game but PLEASE STOP THINKING IT EVER UPDATED MORE FLUIDLY BECAUSE IT NEVER EVER HAS.

On the subject of improving rendering performance, go to options and turn simple graphics on, it'll disable a few of the more expensive rendering operations that dont affect the game.

The lag with many players is a result of the physics calculations stacking up as there are really multiple simulations going on at the moment as the old engine code interacts with the new engine code. We'll work on improving it as it'll be important later on as player counts grow.

The menu lag is (funnily enough) the result of slow GPU rendering with repeating textures.

If we had a working software renderer I'd suggest that to some people, but considering its your shitty CPU holding back your performance... hopefully the coming physics optimisations help you out.

Valkyrie, sj67, AnRK and 2 others like this.
  17. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Yes it definitely can be caused by your computer! I was running two other games once, then opened kag, and it took ages to do anything. Turned out my Cp usage was at 98 percent.

18. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

Yep, the problem is when FPS drop below 30