1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New build discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

How does farming frags mean that they're not OP? It makes it literally easy for you to just go up there and kill a bunch of people without even getting hurt.

2. Strech

Strech KAG Guard Tester

I agree, is so easy as an archer to make people fall from skybridges...

3. Neat

Oh miscommunication error. I thought you meant you were farming frags while on a skybridge yourself, rather than killing loads of enemies who are on the skybridge. I suspect Quimbo misunderstood as well.

4. vig

vig KAG Guard Tester

I've seen a builder convert ladders into drawbridges

*Can't start map editor after a map has been loaded/generated

*When the editor is started, it only removes the fog from a small fraction of the whole map. more fog is removed when one moves around as a builder.

[​IMG]

5. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Isn't it like that? If not its a bug.

6. Quimbo

Quimbo Guest

You alone are so super awesome cool to hold off the entire enemy army by yourself with a single archer? Ok, sure, you are Chuck Norris...

As I said, a single builder every few seconds is enough to build 1 or 2 tiles to the skybridge downwards, and it'll be done in no time.

Why do we need terrain if we got skybridges anyway? Just make the terrain completely flat and remove buildings and we get it easier.

Skybridges are just a cheap tactics and is used as THE single tactics to win games. That's a fact and shows that you are not capable of doing what you are trying to imply.

Nope, I understood pretty good what he said and it's not a valid point.

7. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm not sure anymore - I can't test it consistently :(

8. Neat

I'm not saying it's a valid point. I'm just saying it looks like he's saying he's killing people down below from on top of the bridge compared to killing people on the bridge from the ground. I guess either way, it's still bad. I mean like if they're not OP people are clearly using them enough to just walk to the end of the bridge, die, and then repeat.

But I really do think they're OP and agree with Quimbo, it's all I ever see in games nowadays, skybridges and tunneling. I alone try and make a dirt ladder up their building but everyone else tunnels. Or some guy just starts building stone blocks through the sky. It makes me facepalm, because is that really the limit to our creativity? Some guy can just hit a stone block underneath a tower get infinite stone and build it through the sky so we all have to either use it or just spam arrows at it. It's really redundant.

9. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

I will respond to Neat only, to keep the discussion at a normal value level.

I meant I kill people on skybridges easily. With another archer working with me it's just carnage, we can hold aganist many more men than us 2 = profit for the team, because we will have numbers advantage on other fronts. They do get some tiles built occasionally, but it's extremely slow and 90% of the time the skybridge's base is captured before they manage anything. In cases where I join a game in progress and there's a big skybridge already I simply clear it out (because it's VERY simple - archer combat is all about cover - they have none) and request a catapult or archer cover and build one myself. Works like charm every time.

There's a big factor to all of this too - good players rarely use skybridges. It's just cannon fodder.

That's the point, actually - many different ways of getting to the flag. With just surface and undeground ways, we had boring stalemates. Right now it's very dynamic, there's someone trying a new way all the time. That's exactly what everyone wanted, wasn't it? Ladder skybridges look ugly, but they proved that aerial way of getting to the flag will reduce stalemates a lot. If you read the dev blog, the team is thinking of other aerial ways which will hopefully replace the skybridges. For now it's lots of fun the way it is.

Basic question - do you prefer slow, stalemate-ish or dynamic, constantly changing gameplay? Devs stated that they're more or less going the 2nd way, I love it, you don't have to. There's no way to combine those two. Maybe there will be server variables which will allow for a build 90 style game in the future though.

We're discussing gameplay now. Bugs clrearly destroy it and have to be removed.

10. Neat

I do agree that dynamic gameplay is the best form. But that's why i'm opposed to skybridges. It seems illogical, but actually so many people build skybridges that it just becomes the only form of any assault or attack, and that's not dynamic, that's samey and boring. I'm looking forward to alternatives, hopefully prettier ones.

11. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

This is starting to get annoying. Are you blind or just don't want to look? I just checked 4 servers, 3 of them had skybridges AND fighting going on below and on the surface.

12. Neat

You just proved it by your own means. I'm not talking about everyone on the entire team going up on the sky-bridges. I'm talking about their sheer dependency that 75% of servers have one. That is something that usually happens when a mechanic is OP. Everyone starts to do it. Of course other people are going to fight on the ground and under, people like me, who hate the skybridges. That doesn't make them something less used. Bottom line, if I wanted to win every game without worrying about having fun i'd build a skybridge. A new feature is bound to get used because it's a feature of the game. Skybridges are not an implemented feature, they are a consequence of people realising that there is no equal. Ground air and below ground need to be different forms of attack, none of them should be inherently stronger than any other.

13. niksu

niksu Guest

The upcoming patch introduced brand-new and spanking UI but i just cannot stand the color on minimap, it pop outs from anything else and distorts my eye movement by attracting it to right corner.

My humble suggestion :P

[​IMG] =-=-=-=> [​IMG]

14. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Not bad niksu, but I'd add transparency to them again, and the chat box to the right corner. Maybe it the same colour as the minimap you did.

EDIT: well, like you could have added transparency :)

15. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I still say it looks oddly familiar to the one I once posted...

16. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Bug report : When there's a vote on a server, the map hides it, we only see "F11 : Yes F12 : No."

17. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well the only vote is the next map vote

18. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

The new interface is very pretty and fit's the style of the game nicely, BUT it doesn't read well. To get all the information you need to move your eyes around all of the screen and that's very confusing especially in the middle of a heated battle.

[​IMG]

I think moving the components around a bit would help. The original layout was really good, and I don't know why dev's strayed from it. I did a quick mockup of a fix I had in mind:

[​IMG]

Also, a bit more contrast between the resource numbers and the gui colours and a bigger, bolder font would be great.

Ps. I love how the interface get's see through when you're looking around. Great for archers, but I would like to see how many arrows I have left.

19. Catakus

Catakus KAG Guard Tester

For some reason as an archer, certain trees won't give me arrows. Did it on two different servers. Most were fine, a few wouldn't give any, and some would only give me a few before breaking.

20. Darklight

Darklight Guest

The new charge indicator is too imprecise I feel. I liked my red bar of pain. :<