1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Our community is playing King Arthur's Gold this week!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jomskylark, Jan 31, 2012.

1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I think everyone here needs to back up a bit. Since KAG is in alpha and rapidly growing, I don't think anyone in the community should be turning down opportunities to pick up new players - whether they're from Australia because they saw it mentioned on ABC3 last week, or redditors who have picked it up from /r/playdate, /r/gaming, /r/kag (yes it exists) or any of a number of other relevant subreddits.

This game is growing rapidly, and there will be influxes of new, untalented players. It's the nature of a new game, especially a unique game like KAG which attracts many different types of gamers (casual gamers who like the strategy aspects, hardcore/regular gamers who like the gameplay, and everything in-between like myself). It's the nature of the situation, and everyone should not only recognize and tolerate this, but learn to embrace it because diversity within a community adds a lot more value to the people and game as a whole.

Thanks for stopping by to share with us about /r/playdate's plan to play KAG - I hope it is enjoyed by all; welcome to those of you who are here to join our community.

To those of you who think that we're going to see a huge influx of players that are going to take over the game's culture - I call bullshit. First off /r/playdate is small, and second of all the game's established culture has a momentum that will not be easily broken. You're not going to suddenly see MM/Geti and the forums overrun with stupid suggestions - only people looking for tips/tricks/help because they want to enjoy the game as much as possible. Everyone just needs to relax, and potentially get off their high no-outsiders-allowed religious horse.

Despite growing rapidly, KAG is still an infant in the gaming landscape. We should appreciate any and all exposure that the game gets -- to any audience.

2. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

I didn't make the focus time... but maybe I'll see new face in game?

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Curious, how did the focus time go? I wasn't able to make it. :S

4. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

It was disappointing for me. I first got in there and griefers and idiots were ruining buildings. Then the server got taken down and put back up with a password. Went back in and there were still idiots, had to kick someone. Ended up leaving because of ping. Dunno if it got better after that though.

Valkyrie, Noburu, Rayne and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Same for me, i haven't seen so much griefers and trolls in the same server for a long time.

6. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Thank you all for providing support throughout the week, and a huge thank you to the developers who put us in a blog post. I was checking the traffic statistics, and an estimated 80% of the traffic came from the blog post. Awesome! :)

As for the focus time, I had a lot of fun. I spent most of my time as a builder, although somebody kept blowing up my creations. ;) Our server did suffer a bit with griefers at the start, but once we added a password things went much smoother.

I hope we'll see you guys again in the future! Best of luck in development.

7. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

XD They said there were still griefers after the passworded server.

8. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Oh, there might've been. The password was posted for all to see on the subreddit, so it wasn't very secure. I was pre-occupied with learning how to play, but I didn't see any.

9. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

It doesn't seem to matter really, what's done is done and Jomskylark seemed to enjoy himself, whether there were grievers or not.

At the end of the day, if people enjoy themselves while playing the game, then it does not matter. Grievers will come and go when they find another thing to do, but people who enjoy the game will stick by. :)

10. BlueLuigi

That kind of thinking can you get in big trouble.

11. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

O_O I'm new here, explain how?

-hides in a hole-

12. BlueLuigi

Well, I meant in general in life, ignoring problems don't make them go away they just eventually get you into such a deep hole that you CANNOT ignore and sometimes cannot at this point be fixed alone.

In KAG letting griefers continue to grief means that you are just pushing it off on someone else, the griefers stick around longer as they can get away with it and in general you just breed a bad habitat that is okay with this sort of thing.
    For him who was probably never going to stick around but just came here so that he could get some hits on his blog and have like 5 people play a game and grief each other it doesn't matter and at the end of the day it doesn't effect him, but those griefers might realize how easy the game is and at the end of the day for the rest of us there is a chance of introducing more griefers which is just annoying.

13. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

Well I understand that, but was just saying that it was nice that he had fun.

Plus, of the hundreds of games I have played online, KAG seems to be more secure than some I have played when it comes down to people ruining the online experience.

It's just one of the downsides to having a game where everyone can join for free. Not that there is a problem with that.

The internet just needs a criminal records things or something, preventing assholes from ruining games and things for people.

14. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Drill Rusher

Hey now, I actually really enjoyed KAG and have added it to my library. In addition, I in no way advocate griefers, and it is my understanding that the server owner and moderators banned griefers where they could.