1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[265] The way of the builder - a general guide

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Strathos, Jan 12, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

It's funny, I used Strathos' design in a match just now, and Arhain and some other dude said I was a retard and didn't know what I was doing.

My tower was the only one that held up before the other guys collapsed in.

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah, I get the whole "You suck at building" line from randoms all the time - often accompanied by the person attempting to grief whatever it is I'm building. Fortunately I can freeze people who try that stunt, but the fact that people with an obvious lack of building smarts keep knocking (verbally or otherwise) my structures is kinda getting old.

Ghozt and CoD like this.
  3. Henry9000

Henry9000 Bison Rider

If you know you're right, just verbally abuse them until they're quiet. Be vulgar poetic and confusing the same time like "Shut your motherfucking yap, you know nothing about building -- you also look like you have trouble laying a brick in the morning. You should try eating more wheat products. Now get out of my way."

Works most of the time.

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Was told to post this here when mentioning it: please add about replacing stone block with tea bridge when an enemy builder is sealing what you are breaking in that final push in a break in

Henry9000 likes this.
  5. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Dianne Kruger hypothesis at work.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  6. dudekazoo

dudekazoo Catapult Fodder

Not true! I have found it and I have learned a great deal. Thank you for this guide strathos. I can't wait to go try some of this new knowledge out.

7. Xorlathor

Xorlathor Catapult Fodder

This was crazy helpful, thanks for taking the time to write it up and take screenies! It shall make me all the better builder.

8. CoD

CoD Haxor

@FBB When I was playing today I made that trap of yours and some guy came and hit the bridges once each I said WTF and so on and then I fixed it. Then I decided to put a 2x1 BC spike trap (yeah i know i use other builders stuff alot) And he filled it with stone siad it was his trap and I griefed it and my team of noobs kicked me. :'( .Feel like saying "Just f***ing leace me alone I've been building for half a year. Get a life.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah. The green name helps a lot, but there will always be one offensively noobish person who tries (consciously or otherwise) to ruin your game. The secret I've found is to ignore them and, if worst comes to worst, swap to the other team, build your awesome designs, and then laugh long and hard as he dies repeatedly in/on them. :B): :D :rollseyes::skull::flex:

{edit}
    I just realised I've been owing you a building schematic for over a month now - I'll PM you an image right away. ;)

acridstone and CoD like this.
  10. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Sorry if this is a necrobump, but i just found this guide (as a noob builder, but loving to play it) and its awesome, helps me alot.I didnt know you could capture enemy buildings and such, but where can i find the other guides? (if those are released, that is.)I cant view strathos's profile (no offense) so i cant see your latest posts.Anyway, thanks for your guide! youre awesome! EDIT: Wow, this message looks quite messy. i wonder why. Is quick reply bugged on these forums?

Necrobump? No, not at all! :D This is a valuable guide and as such has no 'use by' date. ~fbb

11. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

Hello, fellow builders! There were a couple of bugs that made some of my designs obsolete or too expensive, so I've been waiting for them to be fixed. Everything seems to work OK now and the next guide should be here "soon".
    The next guide - "advanced stuff" - touches more than a few subjects and I'm finding a way to put them together. There will be designs, tips and strategies. It will be worth the wait!
    Again, thanks for all the replies. I'm glad this has been useful and I'm always delighted to see players putting this to use, specially when they make variations of the "repairable wall" :)

12. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

You are derailing a genuine and very good builder guide thread with goddamn door hallways, and even suggesting a design that is just as slow, but just gives you less protection.
    If you want to keep to your opinion that its awesome, make a new thread and we will probably take every single argument why its not good.

13. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Door hallways have NOTHING to do with Strathos' awesome builder guide. :>:(:

~Thread cleaned.

GloriousToast, Chinizz, Ghozt and 3 others like this.
  14. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Apparently necro'ing is allowed on this thread...
    it would be nice if you talked about bomb chutes in this, and quick spike traps like this:
    :castle_wall::bridge::blank::castle_wall:
    :bridge::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::bridge:
    :castle_wall::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

lol spike pits dont belong in a serious builder guide

Ej likes this.
  16. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

Guide 2. I'll be brief.

Frontline towers:
    * Build towers with enemy builders in mind. They should have an overhang, which also makes it hard for archers to go over it.
    * Make a bomb catcher right in front of the main wall to avoid easy collapses by bomb spam.
    * Control the underground: have access to the underground right under your tower to stop tunnelers.
    * Best towers have a one way exit and a laddering-builder-proof entrance somewhere else.

This base setup has served me very well:

base.png
    (the bomb catcher is essential)

And I've been using the concept for a while...
    screen-11-08-09-14-30-58.jpg

Apologies for the previous promises of a grand builder guide. When I read that the building and gameplay dynamics would change in the scripting release, I decided to wait for it.

17. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

This is fucking genius, and it makes me sad that more people don't do it. Brilliant work as always, even for how brief it is. :D

18. Foremole

Foremole Tree Planter

Brilliant. If you make another you should include a section on the importance of fearlessness. I've seen Knights push right up to the enemy base, right next to their flag, only to be killed because the builders who are literally 20 blocks away are too dumb to build ladders. They'd rather build their own ugly and useless 1 floor base than execute the finishing blow to the enemy.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

4 block thick wall-
    :door::door::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::door::door::castle_wall:
    :door::door::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::door::door::castle_wall:
    or