1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Vivinx Gaming | King Arthur's Gold Questions

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Wolf95, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Hello,

I've taken a little break from developing KOG CP, and making a fork for my own company's (Vivinx Gaming) use, and based upon success of features in that I'll go and implement those into the KOG. So I have several questions for you guys, (most of these are from a provider's standpoint)

1.) How important is a Dedicated IP to you guys?
    2.) How important is a complimentary voice server?
    3.) Is Sub-Account/Moderator support a feature that you would frequently use?
    4.) Is an Auto-Update Feature(Reboots Server when update is detected) a good idea?
    5.) Should the Server parse logs for you, or should it leave them as-is?
    6.) Game Servers are planned to be deployed in Chicago, and Freemont, CA, are there any other places that it would be beneficial to have a server located at?

2. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

1 - no. stop wasting ipv4. gameservers are not valid justification and will result in ip ranges being revoked.
    2 - no.
    3 - yes.
    4 - put a notice at the top.
    5 - either works
    6 - fremont is hella cheap place, espescially if you're at HE's fmt/fmt2 dc (which is pretty awful last time i was in it). if you want asian connectivity try LA or SJ.

Noburu, BlueLuigi and Rayne like this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Voice doesn't really matter unless it gets integrated, I will say this: I use mumble because I get it with HGS who I currently use for hosting, but it's not something that I would go crazy for, it just fit my needs.

Getting the people on unless they always play your server and you have it divided properly is probably not that great, are you going to switch channels every time you get teamswitched ingame? Probably not, especially not if you play fullscreen. These and many other annoyances will lead it to almost never happening outside of pre-planned games.

4. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

@Teemo That looks really great, I'd use it, but I've already got a half-developed PHP Front-end, however my JS skills are really weak, so if you could tell me some time how you got the processing screen to work like it does, that would be great.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

5. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

For the updating? or what?

The modal window is just jQuery UI.

The actual status updates are live via push (not polling or anything) - using http://socket.io, the backend is http://expressjs.com

Basically, you subscribe client-side to for example "serverid-a67f27e45d5541bf6addffb2cd568035", and then send out updates to it.

Clientside JS has a callback which is a function run anytime new data is sent (such as {"s":"Your server is now up.","rcon":"aaaaarconpwhere","ip":"ip","port":500})