1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wrapping up zombies

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Furai, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zefree

Zefree Shopkeep Stealer

No, I agree with you Eeshton. It seems like the majority of the people who disagree are the few who get to pre-test the mode. You've already said basically everything important... Just figured I'd let you know you weren't alone :)

2. tilly

tilly Catapult Fodder

exactly, that is if i dont die from waiting, lol. Does any 1 have a rough idea on how much more work they need to do?

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Thing is, if you've been reading what we've been writiting, we haven't just added a game mode and spat out some content - we've made a whole blog post outlining that this build is going to add a lot more than just zombies. There are just two guys working on this and contrary to your apparent understanding we've been making fairly rapid progress throughout the whole waiting period.
    If you'd rather predictable development with release dates set in stone before production begins, you should look into AAA games with million dollar budgets. When unexpected issues crop up, we just work hours of overtime to fix the issue - but considering we don't have whole departments of our studio devoted to QC and code maintenance it usually ends up taking a little longer to track down and stomp those issues.

If we just made zombies from the start of october to the end without touching anything else, they'd be out by now... But we'd have to waste another few months converting that content to the new systems we've been developing in paralell, rather than working on lighting and getting a framework for all future content set up, random dungeons, pathfinding systems, workshop system changes, physics alterations and optimisations, server statistics and bugfixes...
    With a few weeks spent planning all this out we probably could have fit an extra intermediate release in, but honestly it's a few weeks of your time while there's still a fun game available to you.

tl;dr your criticism is unfounded based on what we have been and are working on, and you're either misinformed about that or have expectations that are beyond us. I think we've been pretty damn proactive about how we develop KAG.

4. Eeshton

Eeshton Shopkeep Stealer

A guard told us to stop, let's not continue this, you don't argue with someone with authority, even if they're wrong.

5. tilly

tilly Catapult Fodder

I understand that I am just curios and dont expect that youd be able to put something like this together in a month or 2 so sorry if you didn't like what I posted. KAG is among the best games i have ever played!

6. Eeshton

Eeshton Shopkeep Stealer

Oh jeez, you posted that right when I made the post...sigh..

Ok, I never said you guys weren't active with your game, I just said the expectations of the community to wait that long is a bit extreme. At this point in the development, I'm assuming you guys are focusing on only zombies, if not, and you guys are actually working on different things like optimization, physics, lighting, generation, etc and not just zombies, then a longer wait can be expected, but I consider myself to be the average user in this and while I do understand that you'll never truly only be focused on zombies when you're updating, it's atleast my understanding, that it's your biggest priority. Especially from the blogposts. Now, this is a bit of a realization to me, I thought you guys had 4-5 people, so the wait is explained a little better. I'm not trying to down you guys in any way, shape, or form, I love KAG, and you guys seem pretty cool (of which I just pissed you guys off which sucks because now I'm not exactly liked by the 2 most important people of the game) . I don't know, maybe it's just how many games out there that are indie but also have huge waiting time for updates, maybe I'm impatient. It's just from my own personal experience, it wasn't that hard to update the game for me. Of course, I wasn't a coder, but still the 2nd top contributor to the game excluding the actual project leader.

tl;dr I didn't realize how small of a team it was, and whether you are indeed focused truly on zombies at the moment and I apologize. I don't view myself as inpatient considering I haven't decided to..."complain" up until now and I think it's mostly due to the approximate release date given and my disappointment on it not being reached.

keyofdoor likes this.
  7. Zefree

Zefree Shopkeep Stealer

Uh actually I'd internet-argue with anyone if they were wrong.

I didn't read your earlier posts, Eeshton, so maybe Geti is responding to something else...but I was agreeing with your general frustration that the game-mode isn't out yet. As I've mentioned in another thread, my main irritation is that I have to constantly hear about a game mode and "Quotes from Testing" when I don't really have a chance to play or test said game mode in the foreseeable future.

Really it's a strange dynamic where you get to discuss a game, and then get forum input from a developer. I was aware of the additional structural work, Geti, but I've still heard several times about "releases" etc. I think if there is any misinformation on releases or unrealistic expectations, maybe they are coming from the dev blog itself.

I can see that you are irritated by this discussion though, so probably it'd be best to either drop it or continue it another day.

8. Eeshton

Eeshton Shopkeep Stealer

And considering we're taking away from his development time, aren't we basically going against our own argument?

9. tilly

tilly Catapult Fodder

I know I can be impatient at times, and I asked how much work they approximately have left so they didn't need to give another estimated release date only to not be able to release the update and disappoint players (No offense meant by that)

10. Zefree

Zefree Shopkeep Stealer

EDIT: To Eeshton,
    No, not necessarily. It's not like the postings on the forums telepathically reached out to him and demanded that he come read them. He's probably just taking a break and reading what the community is up to.

It's everyone's' right as a member of the forum to post, just as it's his right to call us out on it.
    Noun

forum (plural forums or fora)
    1. A place for discussion.
    2. A gathering for the purpose of discussion.
    3. A form of discussion involving a panel of presenters and often participation by members of the audience.
    And no longer include me as part of "we" in an stance that you are so quick to drop at the first sign of heat. :B):

11. Eeshton

Eeshton Shopkeep Stealer

I'm not quick to drop, I'd be fine with arguing, but I paid for my account and I don't want to waste 10 bucks...

If a forum guard, you know, the people with the ability to ban tell you to stop posting, it's just respectful and kinda needed that you follow what they say.

And the development time thing was a joke more or less.

12. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Eeshton is right, it'd be best for everyone if you just stop now.

13. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

You know Geti and MM need real life inspiration for their games. The next next future game mode is most likely going to involve pirates and they need some guys to visit Somalia for some real life material to draw inspiration. Any takers? I hear pirates love some good condescension and unnecessary arguments. (This was a paid advertisement by the Somalian pirates)

FlameHaze3, Valkyrie, Kouji and 5 others like this.
  14. Zefree

Zefree Shopkeep Stealer

Wow. Forgive me for posting comments on a free forum.

"Please sirrah, don't give me the stick!"

Whatever. Done.

15. Hippo

Hippo Shark Slayer

TL;DR for this entire page of the thread:
    Opinions, counter-opinions, opinion analyses, misunderstandings, apologies, and a ba-dum-tish.

Thank you, Eeshton, for your peacefully conducted resolution. (No sarcasm, I mean that honestly :))
    Oh, how I would love to talk about the woes of forum drama, but, that as well should be saved for a better day.
    Maybe this thread could even use a little clean-up? It would be nice to put some of this behind us.

Anyway, I'd like to get back on topic, but I'm not sure what to discuss! Let's peacefully talk about what the other 70% of zombie content could be? IDK! Maybe they'll have siege equipment of their own!?

16. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Aaaaand LOCKED! ^__^

Neat, MooCowMan, FlameHaze3 and 14 others like this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Eeshton and anyone else complaining: Don't worry about us not liking you or anything to that effect. Mild frustration is the closest I've gotten with any of you, you'd have to do something a lot more serious than vent your opinion for me or MM to develop a dislike for you.

tur1sta, Khombhat, Eeshton and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.