1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] What is the purpose of arrow climbing?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by nerdpride, Dec 10, 2011.

1. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I know thia is late but its Noburu like this server.The locked one.

2. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Yeah, I was on it last night, but they changed the gamemode to a jump map.

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Thanks a ton, I find this very helpful and am going to begin practicing it.
    I guess the only real way to prevent any archer from going over a tower would be to create something like this
    ▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓
    ░░░░▓
    ░░░░▓

░ is air
    ▓ is stone block

enemy is towards the left.

Either that or you could use Acavado Spikes

4. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Heheh, let me tell you that even that can be traversed if set up properly.

The best way to prevent archers from arrow laddering is a 2 block wide overhang with spikes. Archers cannot get past these without dying.
    As such:
    [​IMG]

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Don't know why I didn't think of that, so much more simple and obvious.

6. Xorlathor

Xorlathor Catapult Fodder

Woah didn't really know how to wall climb before this, I didn't know you could fire arrows as you're going up the wall, thought you had to do it beforehand. Good to know.

7. Kouji

It's a skill any decent archer should have, especially if you are helping up front. It's best used for climbing an enemy tower and firing onto builders and oncoming knights while they try to leave spawn.

Also, please note that as of build 275, that spike trap thing that eggnog showed, won't work as ceiling spikes don't do damage anymore. It may get fixed later, but don't try using it for any kind of defense.

8. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Well, arrow climbing is VERY helpful if you can do it, as Miczu showed.
    I prefer trees JUST inside the enemy base, past a tower if they have one.
    Most of the time knights will be pre-occupied with your teammates, allowing you to shoot knights, builders and archers alike in the back.
    Although, if I can't jump to a second tree when they figure it out and start chopping, I often do find myself arrow-laddering back up their tower.

9. Xiphosuran

Xiphosuran Shopkeep Stealer

I don't even understand what we're arguing about. You're all making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Of course the main function of arrow climbing is to scale walls that are otherwise can't be maneuvered over without a builder with some wood. No matter if it's for escaping or the extremely risky early flag runs. Climbing over the enemy castle walls to steal their flag is not supposed to be easy by any means, so don't really understand how you can question the function of this feature.

It's supposed to be difficult. The archers have:
    1. Only two hearts, compared to the knight and builder's three
    2. Unless you can play EXCEPTIONAL, PERFECT AIM, CQC archer once you get into the castle, you're going to get massacred by tons of knights and other archers.
    3.Even if you somehow manage to grab the flag, there's a good chance that getting out of the castle will require a different approach than getting in. There's infinite different possibilities for how going inside-out from the enemy base could go. What if you run out of arrows, or what if the structure has overhanging blocks that prevent any sort of upward ascension.

This is obviously EXTREMELY HIGH RISK, even somewhat in the case that it's last men standing and you're going for a run for the flag. Yeah, there's a slim chance that you'll pick it up and get it out and back to base. But, at the same time, there's a larger chance that you get owned by the enemy and your team is short an archer, which are fairly essential late-game if you're taking a defensive approach.

Basically, the archer's arrow climb is intended to be a defense mechanism for retreating up YOUR OWN WALLS, not for going Rambo and making quick, sly game-ending moves. If it was that easy to snatch up the flag and run off with it, then the archer would be clearly and noticeably overpowered.

10. Kouji

I'm pretty sure the argument was settled before and I can't really see it anymore.

Sure you could use it to scale up walls, but I tend to use it on the enemies walls or terrain/traps that would be impossible to cross otherwise. From there I tend to just take the high ground and harass the enemy. Every enemy that is too busy being focused on me, is 1 less enemy helping out their team in the front. That tends to help win games as it allows my team to push forward.

killatron46 likes this.