1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Term "Griefing"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoolooni, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

In my view this is not pure griefing. He was not destroying buildings. What he was doing was hurting the team though as if he spent most of the time on making pretty buildings that means the team is down one man. Making pretty buildings safe behind your base does not even cross into the realm of any sort of tactic. I think the player needs to be told that this game is not a pure 'building' game, but something more and that you need to try to help your team win the best you can. If he/she ignores this, I would suggest another game such as SimCity 3000 or Minecraft where there is no team to help win anything.

2. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

I see your point but looking at medieval times, a little bit of ornament is always on its place, especially if it's something religious. Besides, you didn't see them ofcourse, but they could be used as pillars for a roof over the bridge.

3. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Most times, unless it's during the build phase, no one has time for "ornamental" pieces.

4. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Most times, but not all. It's only happened to me once so far ahaha

5. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

I see a guy building swastikas all the time.

6. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

well that's just inappropriate and he should be banned for pulling sh*t like that.

7. Swastikas are built like every 1/5 games I play. Not much chance do anything except destroy it if it offends you that much

8. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

9. Henry9000

Henry9000 Bison Rider

Why?

10. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Yea it was the symbol of peace before hitler, etc. etc. but everyone knows that it stands for the holocaust now. You don't need to ask these obvious questions.

And back on topic, in my opinion, too, is that griefing is the act of hindering your own team. Be it be destroying buildings of your own team, be it by building obstacles in the path of your own team or be it by collapsing things on your own team.

11. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

Please, let's not open the debate over swastikas again. I'm sick of it.

Vivicus and jerloch like this.
  12. thebonesauce

Also, say someone intentionally puts a stone block right outside a teamdoor that leads to the battlefield... That's not griefing by the universal definition, but by hindering the team, is that not griefing?

13. That's griefing by my standards, it's hindering the team by not being able to defend the outside of that tower :P so many crucial things could happen while it's blocked!

14. thebonesauce

And that is exactly my point. If we are to believe that griefing is only limited to the OP's definition, then shit like blocking your own team in a tower/ruining tower functionality/doing stupid shit KNOWINGLY will go without a passing glance, and frankly, that would ruin the game for me and I'm not sure I would play anymore. There needs to be some consequences for guys who grief in a non-traditional manner, such as the examples I've stated.

15. Vanguarde

I think that specific action should be put into the 'universal definition' of griefing. We we need to be care to make sure it was not just a one time mistake. I happens, I did it a couple of times by mistake due to what suspect was lag.

You could view it that they ARE destroying the castle not by ripping it apart, but by making the castle itself unable to defend itself at the level it should be.

16. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

So some guys on my team made a HUGE tall Ascensor Tower. We had to go all the way up to get past, and it was really annoying to get down (It reached almost to the top of the map). I lost several lives trying to get down from it. The only way to safely get down was by wall-sliding, but there was a spike pit right under it with no bridges. I told them to build an alternate way or some method of getting back down safely, but they refused to listen and continued to add to the tower. Is this considered a grief?
    Then, one sensible guy finally knocked down the entire tower. Is that considered griefing? I think the ones who made it may have suffered some grief, since it took most of the match to build.

17. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

I never knew there was one already, sorry.

I hope I don't get flagged for this as being off-topic, all these warnings are making me paranoid here.

Uhm, griefing is hindering your own team, now it's on-topic...

Kouji likes this.
  18. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Your standards is based on the quality of the blueprint, which isn't near plausible to be accounted as a proper way to judge whether anyone is griefing. A few people have describe such scenarios to be rather inferior tactics or what I call it to be, ignorance. Yes it's a burden to the team, but the best you can do is work something out with that builder. I do believe a lot of new builders out there tend to oversee the game's physics which is understandable as a new player, but putting them under a griefing category wouldn't make it any better for this community nor will it encourage positive attitudes towards the game.

Neat likes this.
  19. Vanguarde

Hmm. If I had to judge the incident you speak of, I would do this.
    It sounds like they were not building the tower to be malicious, if they were why would they spend so much time building a big tower like that.. they could easily just tear down buildings to grief.
    What I think this is is not a case of griefing, but of different people having different tactical ideas. They were just playing the game in the way they felt would win the game.

If they do not comply with your suggestions, why not just go builder and quickly add in the part needed to come down safe, then go back to Arch/Knight?

Now we come to this, I think that indeed the case of the guy who knocked down the tower they other guys took so long to build and put hard work into it was griefing. Why? They were destroying their own teams buildings - not OK - simply because they did not agree with the tactical decision the guys who built the tower made.Sure the tower might be a tad dangerous to the team, but someone on the team knocking it down make the entire situation VERY dangerous as you have removed the primary defensive building for the team!

These are the pitfalls of open, public servers. I do not understand when people try to order others on public servers to build things exactly as they tell them. There is no 'leader' class in the game from what I can see. As long as someone is not griefing, they don't have to listen to someone barking orders at them to do this, to do that, to do this. They are there playing to play their game, not to obey orders from a stranger who claims to be a master at the game. And even if he is a master, it should be the players choice not to be forced to obey the orders.

I think this is a very dangerous trend. I have seen increasing incidents on the servers of people yelling 'GRIEFER' to get someone kicked simply because they were doing some idea/plan that the person did not agree with! that was NOT griefing, like putting a block in front of the exit.

The danger is in slowly in this atmosphere crunching down on what makes KAG special to the point where every game is carried out almost exactly the same, with the optimum building layout on both sides, etc. Why not just premake castles and drop the team into them? Make the Castles undamageable to the teams, except for the other team.

You then have your perfect castle that cannot be griefed by your own team. Sadly, since the rules have had to be locked down so hard due to so many people choosing what some feel are 'inferior' tactics you cannot repair the castle at all.

Rules and regulation on how, what, where, when, and why to build in game for engineers is a dangerous road to go down, and frankly right now it is being abused on the servers where people who are not griefing but doin something different from the status quo are being voted out or outright kicked out on the spot.

This is not good just as the community is getting a user base boost!

Spoolooni likes this.
  20. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Would it seem more accurate to add the word "deliberate" before hindrance in the ever claimed to be "official" definition of griefing?