1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Terraria is dead!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by HERaLD, Feb 21, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Melan

Melan Shark Slayer

Why are you relating games to drugs, this isn't that shady part of the neighborhood.
    xD

2. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Because if i say that KAG is addictive like horse fart on a pigs farm i think some of the people will not get it as they do when you say drugs...But killing,shooting,slicing and blowing up characters whit loads of blood and body parts is just fine,it is that shady part of neighborhood:huh?:

3. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

From that link, the dev says this:

"My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him."

No other reason is needed to stop work on a game. Family is the most important thing in life - hands down. I have much respect for this guy as he understands family always comes first, and in the end video games are well.. just video games. :B):

Gofio likes this.
  4. FlyingGroundhog

FlyingGroundhog Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah what MacD said, from a developer's stand-point they want us to buy more, because it's all free if they just update the original game. Besides, they could also get a new engine for T2 etc.

5. Disrespekt

Disrespekt Shark Slayer

I am not disagreeing with you, I think that is amazing! But it does say he is starting work on a new project already so, I think he just needs a break from Terraria.

6. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

Gear based? O.o its not a PVP centric game. No amount of skill will let you mine obsidian with a copper pick, gear is just a natural side effect of progression. If it was all about pvp they'd get rid of the star cannon !

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I love when people pay for games with promises of more moddability, user friendliness and overall content and just get shafted instead. Nice to see people follow in notch's footsteps in garnering extreme distrust of indie developers, I swear these guys are like miniature politicians.

P.S. in situations like this you provide means for community to add content since you can't, not provide bug fixes :p

Birdman159 likes this.
  8. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

Redigit was a pretty hard working guy, shame he provided everyone with false hopes.

What he should do now is basically pass terraria on to another development company, Gaslamp games are interested in taking over it.

9. Baron_Norab

Baron_Norab KAG Guard Tester

That'd be great, I like Gaslamp.

10. BlueLuigi

That would be a great plan actually, I'm sure he could work out passing it while still getting some profit despite how its c# and has a lot of edit unfriendly code that will take a while to fix alone. Unlikely to see it happen since he probably sees it as his magnum opus right now, to give that up can be rather ^^;

11. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

This pisses off so many people because of all the fucking "promises" that were made, just checking out that one wiki article should be enough to make someone understand it. All that stuff was ultimately just advertising something that they wouldn't deliver.
    Really feels like Notch 1.5.
    Also, "normal" people don't just drop their WORK(which Terraria was for him, apparently at least until he got dat money flowing) even when they have family.

On another note, Starbound looks interesting.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Reaction:

13. Ershany

Ershany Shipwright

Damn.. Terraria this is upsetting news.. Terraria is a great game.. I played it and a KAG quite a bit

14. Disrespekt

Disrespekt Shark Slayer

I logged 469 hours.

15. Latest News
    ♦Redigit, the developer of Terraria is taking a break from Terraria's developing to raise his soon-to-be-born child. But don't worry he may get back after a month, a year but he will come back.
    stop freaking out :p

Disrespekt likes this.
  16. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Yep kinda miss high horsing with my creations in that horrible community.

17. Jaedong

Jaedong Shopkeep Stealer

With a game like Terraria, I don't think its a dick move to create a new game. You should think about it from a business point of view. Now being greedy would be releasing DLC characters for games like Mortal Kombat and Marvel VS Capcom3 or even a whole new game MvC3 ultimate for another 60 bucks. If its another 10-15 bucks and the updates are free as is, I don't think its bad to pay for a new game especially if its been a year or more with free updates.

18. BlueLuigi

The problem is the lack of quality, Terraria has no leg to stand on as a game the way it is now, the only thing it had going for it is that it might have had updates to:
    A)At least allow linux SERVERS
    B)Allow more console commands and remote console
    C)Allow more moddability
    D)Not be so shitty

Terraria as it is now is a game that you can beat in a few hours if you want to, in a day if you're lax with friends, in 2 days at MOST if you are taking a challenging route or being very lax solo. It has almost no content and is certainly barely worth the $10, the ability to mod is a bitch and usually depends on halfassed mods that have their own GUIs that are bloated as fuck and lead to not being able to use them for remote access.

Basically, Terraria has a shit ton of problems and the least they could have done was make it more friendly for the community to be able to at least put stuff out and then he could check in after a few months and toss together a community update and tada free content.

19. Jaedong

Jaedong Shopkeep Stealer

I agree with all except for D because D is just an opinion. I like terraria for the most part. If it had controls like kag though and the physics was like Kag it'd be alot more fun. I wouldn't really call terraria a game you can beat, unless you mean, you get the best gear in the game and kill all the bosses in the game. I like the artistic parts of it. Building your own house and what not, but it just feels so weird to play after playing kag.

20. BlueLuigi

Well, yea it was an opinion cause I really didn't want to write an analytical review on why so many parts of Terraria are bad, like as you said the physics, the general overall gameplay, the GUI, etc.

The creative parts are fun enough, but yea.

Mods: BlueLuigi