1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Archer Nest

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Xorlathor, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Xorlathor

Xorlathor Catapult Fodder

I shamelessly combined this arrow slit and this spike trap to make a cheap, fast archer's nest that's effective at holding back enemy knights in the middle of the map.
    mini tower.png

The biggest problem it has so far is that a knight can stand right next to the bottom team door on the left and an archer in the top can't do anything about it. Does anybody have any input for fixing this? Or pointing out any other shortcomings of the tower ? I've been using it with great effect so far but want to know how to keep making it better.

joshuabr123 likes this.
  2. Redigit

Redigit is not my actual name, it's Tommasop.

You know what you can add, instead of that team bridge there in the corner it would be easier if you put a archer shop there so its more easier for the archer to get arrows.

3. joshuabr123

joshuabr123 Builder Stabber

" A Xorlathor archer tower appears! The tower uses archer attack! It's super affective! " :)

Froghead48 and TerryDactyl like this.
  4. Xorlathor

Hm that's a good idea, either putting an arrow workshop or a healing station there would help the archers a ton...

Redigit likes this.
  5. Mister_Snazzy

Mister_Snazzy Shipwright

Ground doors!

[​IMG]
    I added a second trap to try and break up the vulnerable ground doors, and added an arrow shop and a few more improvements here and there.

Beef, mishKa and Xorlathor like this.
  6. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

You could put a small spike pit out front to keep the knights at bay.

7. L-III-III-7

L-III-III-7 Shopkeep Stealer

too easy to bomb jump.... hurry up update

8. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Also, a few knights may be able to form a shield ladder then shield-parachute over...

9. L-III-III-7

yea no good none the less

10. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I think something like this:

Small archer tower.png

Might work even better. I put the quarters in there instead of an archer shop so it can be useful to all classes, archers will probably have arrows from base, or get them from the tree behind the tower. If the knights do manage to get through the first door, (unlikely cause you have a murder hole:)) they will fall into another BC 2x3 trap. I also put some corner spikes to deal with bomb jumpers, and there is easy access to the roof.

BC likes this.
  11. Yeah, always when I play an archer I find instant healing more useful than instant ability to buy another 40 arrows. Because you know, you don't usually run out of 40 arrows in 10 seconds.

ERGO: The first shop near every archer nest should be quarters.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. L-III-III-7

now if only more people would use it...

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Too many faults, needs kneecaps , too short, inner spike pit is poop and shallow

Noburu and potatomcwhiskey like this.
  14. killatron46

Short, to the point, negative, 1 helpful suggestion. Sorry for "Spam" but that was just mean Blue.

Pretty much what my last post said, though I forgot to mention that it would be quite easy to bomb jump over it, so don't really need to put the spikes on the roof.

15. BlueLuigi

By the time you 'fix it' it's something entirely different,as. It stood at start is kinda bad, I mean ground doors are only ok if they can be easily defended by archers,.. And even then, it's not okay usually. That said this structure not only puts doors on the ground, it offers no clear way for archers to protect the, once the enemy is there

16. killatron46

Which I agree completely with everything you said there, but the way you put it in your original post was just mean. . . The creator of the building (and the community reading this thread) learn nothing from: "Too many faults, needs kneecaps , too short, inner spike pit is poop and shallow", this says nothing about how to fix it, and how is anyone supposed to know what a "kneecaps" is. I know what it is but that is besides the point.

I really don't want to start an argument here, just trying to tell you that you should try to be more constructive. "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything" Is a rule to live by.

17. BlueLuigi

He could just read Terry's guide, he should.

Now since I have like 2 minutes to actually write a better post:
    Ground doors need to go - Enemy can break right through
    No stone underneath - Enemy can dig right through
    Pit - Probably does decent damage but is shallow and easily broken to be harmful with a bomb
    Spikes - Unnecessary, bombjumping over is too easy and a joke
    Notching - You can break top of bottom door and archer slit and jump over, without taking damage from spikes on the way up
    Doors - Always have a way that you can shoot anyone coming through doors, and if there are 2 doors a SAFE place for archers to shoot between the doors

When I have more time to actually get into the game (probably not until tomorrow) I'll post something similar but easier for the front line probably.

Also, it was not my intention to seem mean but to point out that it had a lot of faults, quite a lot of them, in fact reading most of the guides you'd see that it broke most of the taboos of a structure, non stoned pits, ground level doors, areas easily made helpful for the enemy.

18. Xorlathor

Haha thanks for defending me Killatron, I'm still a newbie at KAG and everything BlueLuigi said is pretty much right - the reason I posted this little structure was to learn, not to say that my way was the best (which it obviously isn't).

Anyways, I'll read through the tutorial mentioned and come up with a new version. I've looked through a bunch of tower designs in the builder thread, but I was looking for a small and quick archer's nest that could be built right behind the frontline and I didn't see anything like that.

Noburu likes this.
  19. Actually, this isn't a truth. Today I had a trap like this (well, my was 2 tiles wide but no more differences) and even when trapbridges are damaged you can just brake them (they are not needed anyway). Spikes in this configuration aren't too easy to brake.

20. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

Honest opinion?

If i saw this as a knight I would facepalm hard. Kudos for trying and working on things but as a fairly experienced player this is laughable to overcome given enough time, or simply bomb jump/laddered over.

Keep working on it, we all started out and its good that you're experimenting and participating in the community.

Boxpipe likes this.