1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How do i turn off the chat box?

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Soviet_Union, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Shark Slayer

Hey, im not sure if this is the right section of the forum but whatever.
    Ive been playing this game a for a while now and i love it, and im thinking of getting my brother to play it with me.
    However! as we all know the chat is always filled with nasty comments and bad language so is there anything i can do to turn it off on his computer? some mod or anything? thanks!

2. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

While my expertise is anything but, I don't believe there's any way to shut it off entirely. Deleting the respective GUI files would just have them replaced via autoupdater, and messing with the line in KAG/Base/Scripts/config.gm doesn't seem to do anything relevant.

Anybody else have something to add?

3. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hm, I don't think that there necessarily should be the ability to turn chat off. Teamwork is an important aspect of the game. If someone is doing something wrong, in my way (if I'm trying to build something) or if I want to make a suggestion to help them - I want to know that they are able to see what I am saying.

That said, they can just ignore me or might be speaking a different language, but I don't really think that turning off chat entirely should be allowed.

4. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Shark Slayer

damnn i guess he cant play D:

5. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I think it would be nice to have the option. Say I want to record a video, make some sort of fancy looking montage, but don't want to have any of the HUD obstructing the screen. What do I do? I set "global v_drawhud = 1;" to 0.

There, now the minimap, chat window, resources, team tickets is gone. Everything has everything has disappeared. That is also the problem. Besides removing the above mentioned it also removes the building menu, your mouse pointer, bomb timer. All the things you need in order to control the game in a somewhat okay fashion.

Now, I can turn off the minimap seperatly and enable small hud. This pretty much clears all of the window, the chat box is all that remains. Now this is nothing major, you can still make good looking videos with it, all you need to do is zoom in a little bit with whatever editing program you are using.

Just my take on the thing.

6. Bifur

Bifur Catapult Fodder

You can press f6 to turn off all GUI, this could help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.