1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Not able to join server under same IP

Discussion in 'General Help' started by dwatring, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

This is still a problem. Can we please have a fix.

for clarification: Cannot join server on the same device as the one hosting.

2. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

for the 6th time... Copying from the Dev Blog (my emphasis):

Due to some security issues, localhosting wont work,and those on shared IPs wont be able to play at the same time. This really bugs us and we’ll be fixing it ASAP, but it’s better than the alternative (a nice big security hole).We’re keen to see what exploits work (so we can sort out something to deal with them) and what ones dont (so we can laugh at the people who tried them) so we’ll be watching the forums keenly.

Please use the search function or spend 30 seconds of your time browsing the rest of the Help section.

dwatring likes this.
  3. dwatring

Sorry for the stupidity. Thanks though.

4. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You should always join your own server via its local address anyway (e.g. 192.168.x.x)

5. dwatring

Does it allow you to join your own server under your local address? Interesting...

6. FliesLikeABrick

It should. The problem with joining via your public IP address is due to NAT - games and other programs need to implement special logic to deal with it correctly. When you join via your local address, NAT never gets involved and you look like a normal player joining from any other IP address - it just so happens to be private but the application (game) doesn't care about that. Whereas when you join via the public address, you basically are going out to the Internet... but turning right around at the router and coming back in - that is what can cause some confusion for applications

7. dwatring

Let me try. I'll let you know.

Edit: Still doesn't allow, even when connecting using your local IP. Probably for the same reason as trelawney pointed out.

8. FliesLikeABrick

Ok. If it is related to what trelawney said, it should be fixed soon. I spoke to MM about this tonight and stressed that it needs to be fixed urgently.

9. dwatring

Thanks for the update.

10. Land00

Land00 Shipwright

me and my brother fixed the problem, by joining the server exactly at the same second.;)
    Try that out it'll work, thats for sure.

11. FliesLikeABrick

Be warned - that may lead to other unexpected results even if it appears to work.

I will ask MM for an update on the proper fix for this, though he is at GDC with Geti so it's possible we may need to wait a bit longer.

12. Land00

Land00 Shipwright

Sure FliesLikeABrick, and I even found them out: If the first player dies, the other player will be disconnected with an estimated chance of uhm.. let me say 7% . After that, we were able to join again with the method, which I've told you above.
    We weren't abel to find any other bugs which had to do with our simultaneously playing on the same server.
    .....we did this for hours:p.
    In my opinion It could also have something to do with your log in time. (When I play for a longer time on one server, and I want to go to another server, the programm asks me to authenticat again). Might be, that we get the same player ip with our method(Not prooved, sb should check that, to confirm this theory) at the beginning, and if the program auto-authenticats during the match(does it do an auto-authenticating during the matches, or just after a serverchange?, sorry I'm not familiar with you scripts) It gets an error, because there exist two same player IPs, and then it just disconnects one of the players?
    Might this be a reason? Do you have access to their sourcecodes and able to change those lines in the code, just to give it a try?
    Again: It was just my theory, based on the visual things I was able to see during the running programm.

13. FliesLikeABrick

A hotfix was released for this yesterday, can you test again now and tell me if any of those issues are still occurring?

14. Land00

Land00 Shipwright

Oh, Im sorry we didn't grabbed the update yesterday, it might be released afterwards. But I have to disappoint you for now, here in germany we have it 0:16 midnight and my brother is already asleep.
    But I'll promise to give you a feedback signal for about this afternoon, when he returns from school.

15. dwatring

I connect, then become disconnected with the error, "You have not logged into your game account."

16. Land00

Land00 Shipwright

Ok, as dwatring said, it's not possible to us jet, to join at different times..... but our trick still works fine.:migrant: